PDA

View Full Version : 86 atc 350x crank question

10-16-2002, 08:01 PM
HI Guys
I am new to the board and was wondering if you guys could help me out with some advice on my 86 atc 350x crank. The crank bearing went on it last weekend and I would like to know if I should get it rebuilt or buy a new one. Having it rebuilt is cheaper then buying a new crank by quite a bit but is the rebuilt crank going to work as good as a new one and or last a long under normal driving conditions. Also, does a 85 atc350x crank work or fit properly in a 86 atc 350x motor? I know the 86 had some changes to its internals so the oil would circulate better. Please , give me your advice in which is the best way to go.
Thanks K.H. :?: :?

OldSchoolin86
10-16-2002, 08:08 PM
Just get it rebuilt. A good shop can make it as good as a new one and sometimes better.

10-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Thanks for replying so Quickly OldSchoolin86

Thanks for your advice. Doy you know if a 85 atc 350x crank will fit /work in a 86 atc 350x motor because a guy that I ride with has one that he is willing to sell to me for $40.00. He says its in great shape. But I ll have to check it out first.
Thanks Again K.H. :!: :D

OldSchoolin86
10-16-2002, 11:01 PM
Can't help you on that one. Sorry. I'm sure it's an easy question for a couple of the guys around here though. Somebody will help. Good luck.

Honda350x
10-16-2002, 11:46 PM
i dont think there is anything different between the 2 years so it would probably work but im not 100% sure

dogger
10-18-2002, 05:14 PM
the crank's are teh same you won't have any problem there. if you are rebuilding it and depending how much you want to mod it you do have a few option's for a little extra hp and rev's you can lightn' in. have it stroked or even balance it. each of this has a intended purpose. I personaly would lightn' it and balance it but I wouldn't stroke it. stroking it will add torque but you loose a little of the rev's

MR ATC
10-18-2002, 06:30 PM
85/86 cranks are identical so interchanging them is no problem. as far as rebuilding vs new that depends on the condition of your crank halves something i would have to see to coment on weather they are good or not. but, if you have rust pitting on the shaft (behind the stator wich is common) that is one sign of it being no good. other things have to be measured.
Also i would like to correct a common misconception about stroking 350X's. that is loosing revs. a 350X revs to 11,500 but makes its peak HP at 8,500 so anything over 8500 is overrev and a waste therefore loosing revs by stroking is not a issue. (its actually a good thing)

10-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Hi
I have another question for you guys. I have a riding buddy that has this 85 atc 350x crank for sale and it seems to be in pretty good shape. There is very little play side to side in the crank. I think he wants $50.00 for it and it isn't rusted ,pitted or chewed up in any way. Should I buy the crank from him or should I get it rebuilt? How much play is allowed or should any play be allowed? Also, when you get your crank rebuilt is there any play in the crank? Thanks for all of the advice!
K.H. :?: :?