PDA

View Full Version : atv top speed bs!

El'Capitan
10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I just had to get this off my chest, why is it that you cannot find any accurate information about stock topspeeds for any atv. for example i was searching for the stock topspeed for a cr250 and banshee.....well according to half the people their banshees can do well over 80-90mph and their cr250's can do about 95 on a good day. And the guy we bought our 350x from swore to God that it could do about 70mph.... Does anyone know a reputable website that has atv/dirtbike top speeds, because there is no way to find out an accurate speed from ANY forum.

Dammit!
10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
The manufacturers don't publish top speeds so any numbers you find online are likely to be skewed (either by personal bias, lies, improper testing methods, faulty equipment, you name it).

I finally got a gps recently so next time out I'll finally know how fast my R can go. In the sand anyway. Who knows when the next time that thing will hit any hardpack will be.

Fox250R
10-28-2006, 07:51 PM
I bet the 350x could get close to 70 sure...With around a 150 pound rider or so...

ScottZJ
10-28-2006, 07:54 PM
You know my thing about top speed (nothing against those that like it), its why even worry about it. Unless you have money on the line racing for big bucks (which alot of races wont allow trikes), I just wonder what all the big hype is on top speed. I road raced street bikes on courses and did 120+ and it was a rush but there is no way I really care to do top speed on a trike on any terraine. Most areas around here you are lucky to get it out of 3rd and still be on it LOL. Just my thoughts and not pickin on anyone.............peace

4cylinders
10-28-2006, 08:12 PM
hey, too many variables, wind, weight, tire pressure,road surface, fuel, altitude, etc. AND, who really cares?

brapp
10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
the only way to know for sure is a dyno and it can also be affected by too many factors.

TRI-Zbrian
10-28-2006, 09:21 PM
i think its safe to say that nothing in stock trim will do much over 70... all of those peeps that say there bike will do 90 or 95 crap are eather talking crap or have geared there machine to the moon... and like said you never ever realy use top speed unless you just ride down dirt roads all day and stuff like that...when im looking at a trike i want the one that will climb a pit wall the fastest not what will go down a leval road the fastest.....alll i want is something that will do around 70 and will fly up pit walls likes there is no tomorrow.... i think alot of peeps will agree.... cause after 70 ish you cant use that type of speed unless you are on the road....but i do admit it is fun to have a top end race ounce in a while down a dirt road to see whos pulls ahead and stays there... i guess its the type of rideing you do.... i like a little top end speed but i dont want to looz my up hill climbing power eather....around ware i live there are alot of trails but there are also alot of gravel pits and the pits are mostly ware me and my friends ride... the trails are for the family out on there polarises no offence though to those of you that like to trail ride... i like to ounce in a while but thats it i just love the rush of not knowing if you will be able to make it to the top of the pit wall... you know the "make it or break it type hills"...:w00t:

Fox250R
10-28-2006, 09:58 PM
hey, too many variables, wind, weight, tire pressure,road surface, fuel, altitude, etc. AND, who really cares?
The person who started this thread might! :banned:

okiedragster
10-28-2006, 10:33 PM
my last 350x was bone stock everything with flat tracks on and i had a buddy run beside me on my ninja and the top speed was at the most 70 and under (mostly around 68), and this was on pavement but you cant keep it there long cause at 65 the ole wheeler has her tounge hanging out for sure....lol which like everyone has said you would never see those speeds on any trails, or not the ones i ride on...lol im sure if you geared and big tired one it, you may get a lil more mph outta one. we was just curious one day and this was the closet way to kinda tell how fast one would run...just my .02

bassman
10-28-2006, 10:40 PM
i think its safe to say that nothing in stock trim will do much over 70... all of those peeps that say there bike will do 90 or 95 crap are eather talking crap or have geared there machine to the moon... and like said you never ever realy use top speed unless you just ride down dirt roads all day and stuff like that...when im looking at a trike i want the one that will climb a pit wall the fastest not what will go down a leval road the fastest.....alll i want is something that will do around 70 and will fly up pit walls likes there is no tomorrow.... i think alot of peeps will agree.... cause after 70 ish you cant use that type of speed unless you are on the road....but i do admit it is fun to have a top end race ounce in a while down a dirt road to see whos pulls ahead and stays there... i guess its the type of rideing you do.... i like a little top end speed but i dont want to looz my up hill climbing power eather....around ware i live there are alot of trails but there are also alot of gravel pits and the pits are mostly ware me and my friends ride... the trails are for the family out on there polarises no offence though to those of you that like to trail ride... i like to ounce in a while but thats it i just love the rush of not knowing if you will be able to make it to the top of the pit wall... you know the "make it or break it type hills"...:w00t:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Tiger/pg80.jpg

First Collumn. Near the bottom. 81 mph.
Quadzillas will do 80 or over.

deathman53
10-28-2006, 10:44 PM
I can tell you this, I rode my ktm450exc with a pack of quad guys, we went all out, their bikes didn't even get up to 70 mph(it has a digital speedo stock on it). My bike walked away from them, when I gave it more gas after I hit 65. So unless you are drag racing on a long stretch, you are never gonna wind out 5th(or 6th, if you have it). I have tall gearing on my bikes not because I want a super fast top speed, but because I don't like to wind out my bikes all the time. Most of the time my atc250r is in 4th and 5th on a open track, 3rd is the lowest on the tight track, same goes for the 200x(that does 3rd gear starts wih ease) and quads. Also considering I am using 18" tires also.

atc250r 14/38 18" tires
atc200x 14/36 18" tires
trx250r 14/38 18"
crf450r hydrid 13/38 18"
woods atc250r 14/39 20"

Alot has effect on the top speed, but most atv's don't get over 70, unless you have alot of room and they are geared tall.

TRI-Zbrian
10-28-2006, 10:47 PM
lol nice .. i am corrected ... but im sure you will agree that the only machines that get in that speed area are the older 500cc 2 smokes....but yeah lol dont mess with the old big bore 2 strokes... lol they are a beast in there own...:w00t:

lol and thanx for corrcting me man... lol :Bounce

Banage
10-28-2006, 11:15 PM
I was racing a guy with an 05 rubacon, his speed'o said 48 and My 200s and me went by like he was standing still.

TRI-Zbrian
10-28-2006, 11:20 PM
most new workers will not do more then 60 ish they just were not made for speed...wich im not complaining because they were made for hauling and trail riding.. so they do what they should do... i rode a suzuki Vincint 500 a year or 2 ago and i thought it was pretty peppy and fast for a worker... i loved it and i usualy hate workers but that was one bike i could ride all day and have fun on...

ATC crazy
10-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Heh...the fastest I've gone on my Foreman was 53mph...and that was going downhill :lol:

My Raptor 700 on the other hand....it will do around 72-75 mph stock. But, the 700 also has a governor on it. There is a sensor on the tailshaft of the transmission that measures the RPM's. Unplug it and it's said to increase the speed my 5-10mph depending....

All I know, is that I might see top speed once a month...if that, so I dont really care.

bassman
10-29-2006, 03:40 AM
lol nice .. i am corrected ... but im sure you will agree that the only machines that get in that speed area are the older 500cc 2 smokes....but yeah lol dont mess with the old big bore 2 strokes... lol they are a beast in there own...:w00t:

lol and thanx for corrcting me man... lol :Bounce

LOL, other than those exceptions, nothing will get above that speed like you stated.

SWIGIN
10-29-2006, 10:29 AM
back in the day dirt wheeles used to take all 3 250 2 strokes to the drag strip and test top end speed. if i remeber right they were all right around 68-73 mph

250rAL
10-29-2006, 11:25 AM
First Collumn. Near the bottom. 81 mph.
Quadzillas will do 80 or over.

The same magazine puts the 'Zilla at 76MPH.

TimSr
10-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I think the reason most dont do great studies for in depth numbers is that its about the most irrelevant piece of information about an ATV that you will ever find. I dont care how fast it goes, because they are off road machines and you will never, ever do 70mph on anything you are running off road. If you did hit 70mph in a field, and if a dog turd happens to be laying in the smoothed out field you are riding in, and you hit it at 70mph, you will tumble, roll, and probably die anyways. The fastest dragsters at Trikfest were doing mid 50's in a 300ft drag, and I was in the 40's and that is so unGodly fast, that I cant even imagine doing 70mph off road. I have concluded that guys who talk about doing 70mph on an ATV have learned to judge speeds behind a windshield from the speedometer of a Cadillac, and have a totally distorted perception of off road speed. As a former street bike rider I cant even imagine doing 70mph with an ATV on pavement, let alone off raod, so the idea that somebody claims that 60mph isnt good enougth for their trails, and they need to be able to go 70mph is just plain laughable.

El'Capitan
10-29-2006, 03:50 PM
well i ride at sand lake....and there is plenty of room to get up to your top speed.

250rAL
10-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Also on the ice in the winter. It's fun passing the cars on the paralleling highway.

conig
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I think the reason most dont do great studies for in depth numbers is that its about the most irrelevant piece of information about an ATV that you will ever find. I dont care how fast it goes, because they are off road machines and you will never, ever do 70mph on anything you are running off road. If you did hit 70mph in a field, and if a dog turd happens to be laying in the smoothed out field you are riding in, and you hit it at 70mph, you will tumble, roll, and probably die anyways. The fastest dragsters at Trikfest were doing mid 50's in a 300ft drag, and I was in the 40's and that is so unGodly fast, that I cant even imagine doing 70mph off road. I have concluded that guys who talk about doing 70mph on an ATV have learned to judge speeds behind a windshield from the speedometer of a Cadillac, and have a totally distorted perception of off road speed. As a former street bike rider I cant even imagine doing 70mph with an ATV on pavement, let alone off raod, so the idea that somebody claims that 60mph isnt good enougth for their trails, and they need to be able to go 70mph is just plain laughable.

the top speed is completely useless in single track and double track, but if you run fire roads it has its uses, we do long rides inbetween towns and through multiple countys almost all fire road and the speed is nice. I have gps'd 84.6mph on concrete on my quad, and 80mph on clay fire road. two raptors that ride with us are close to braking 90. its all relative, for works type riding the gears would not be completely ideal but in dunes, flats etc its fine. Ive hit decent size sticks and wash outs at that speed and just sort of skip over it.

50mph is all the cr500 trikes are getting in 300ft?

PowerTech
11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
top speed is important the way i ride.

i like to off road mud and trail riding. but i also like to drive down paved roads. seeing who has the fastest bike is good braging rites.

when i get mine back together i am going to gps it finaly.

i am running a 15 /39 . and 22" mud sharks

i would like to have nitrous oxide injection for a little extra on highway speeeeeed!!!!!!

310 kit 330 or something would be nice also.

deathman53
11-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Where I used to ride, we would run in a field right next to the turnpike, we'd keep right up with the cars, I had my 86 200x maxxed up 14/38 gearing and 20" tires, and dirtbike was near passing them. But for mx like I do mostly now, above 50 isn't important, I run tall gearing because my bikes can pull them and I don't like revving out 4th and 5th, my 200x with 14/36 I can top it out on one track I ride on.