PDA

View Full Version : Sandblaster.

burnoutboy
11-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I am getting a new air compressor quite soon, and I would like to purchase some attatchments for it. My number one priority is a sand blaster. I would like a simple budget unit that can remove paint, not some state of the art one.

I was looking at one of these ones:
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/51/23127451_full.jpg

Do I just need a whole lot of sand and a good supply of air to run this? I am just making sure before I make the purchase.

Thanks.

MRPoopie
11-07-2006, 02:47 PM
you would need a good air compressor something with a big tank and able to regulate up to 100-150psi anything lower than that you will just be blowing sand and not removing paint all that well

something else is it isnt good to breath any of that and also sand and other particles
bounce back so i would recommend one of these http://www.johnownby.com/images/sandblaster.jpg

they are pretty cheap (seen them for 100$) if you know where to look or you can make one your self

EDIT: pm me if you have more questions

SYKO
11-07-2006, 03:00 PM
IF you want to go cheap go to sears and get a siphon feed sand blaster around$55 or so I got one years ago and works great, and I used it off a small compresor that would get tops maybe 120 psi, the blaster wasnt the best for LARGE jobs, but ZI never had any large jobs. Also as a side not for cheap blasting sand use play sand! its cheaper than blasting sand and its the same as the fine grade blasting sand, its been the only sand I have used, aslo you want to make sure that the sand stays as dry as possible, and always wear eye protection , I use an ols set of scott goggles, they work the best.

Mr. Clean
11-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Cheap china tools harbour freight has nice pressure pot blasters that will work with small to med size compressors. I picked up the middle sized one for $79. It came with a regulator and all the hoses, just needed to be assembled. The one skyolincoln recommended works and will do the job but a pressure pot is more efficient. He also makes a good point with play sand, just buy a strainer if you go with the pressure pot or it will clog. The siphon blaster is a little more forgiving.

burnoutboy
11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Well I do not really want a blasting cabinet as I am going to be using it for sandblasting wheels, frames e.t.c. However, I am interested in making my own cabinet.

Syko, I believe the one I am looking at is a siphon feed. I am probababally getting a 150 psi + compressor, so I should have enough air. Can you remove powdercoat e.t.c with one of these cheaper ones? Also, thanks for the note on the sand, how many bags should I be looking at getting for blasting a frame?

Cheers.

SYKO
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
well the craftsman has its own little plastic tube to hold the sand in with a carrying handle so its kinda conveinent, and one bag should do fine for a whole frame, preasure pots work real well, but a bigger compresor will be order and more working presure.

burnoutboy
11-07-2006, 11:18 PM
I got a 3.5 horse 21 litre air compressor today. Included was a paint gun and some other small air tools. This ran me about $80 USD. It was a special the shop had going.

I also bought a siphon feed sandblaster, it ran me around 15 USD.

I am going to have a bit of practise on the weekend. Will this setup sandblast parts with ease??

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov0879.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov0881.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov0882.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov0878.jpghttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov0877.jpg

Mr. Clean
11-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I would have to say that compressor may not be big enough. What will happen is you will start blasting and have good results but as you continue to hold that sandblaster wide open it will drop pressure and will not work as good. I would also suspect that sandblasting powdercoating is not going to be alot of fun with that setup. Do a google search on sandblasting and I would start looking for a bigger compressor after you practise with what you have now.

burnoutboy
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Yep.. She doesent hold a tank of air very long.. Bugger.

Luckily I still have my old compressor, which is a 5 horse one with a huge tank, goes up to 200+ PSI. It is impractical for daily use though, thats why I got a smaller one. How will the larger one work??

Cheers.

Mr. Clean
11-08-2006, 02:53 PM
That 5 horse is where its at, just get a longer hose, if you mean impractical by its location. You will be much happier and it will save you lots of time. I think once you fire up the blaster you will have a better understanding of why bigger is better. I would also advise you to get good filtration as moisture is gonna be your enemy. The more the compressor is running the more moisture created. Someone else mentioned earlier but do protect your lungs as best you can, respirator and good ventilation.

burnoutboy
11-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the advice mate. It is mounted on a small trailer, so it is a pain in the a*** to move around each time I go to use it.

I'll bust the blaster out this weekend and will get back to you with some results..

Cheers.

thefox
11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
I use my friend’s setup, 5hp 32 gal compressors (I think) and a blaster like you have and I made a cabinet for $20 out of wood. It works well, takes a while to blast because the compressor lags just a little behind and I don't want to run it continuously because it is not mine. As for taking off powder coat it does but it takes forever! I hope you don't have much to do and if you do let that compressor charge all the way up.

85ytz250n
11-08-2006, 11:49 PM
You guys can cheat on the tank size quite cheaply. I have a small craftsman compressor that is like a 2.5 hp with a 5 gallon tank. I took 8inch sch80 PVC pipe 5feet long and capped and tapped the ends on three. now I can use the crap out of my airgrinders and such while not having to wait to build back up that measly 5gal tank. It does take a while to fill them up at first but there is enough volume there to last you for good while at high volume usage, then you just piddle and let it build back up. Volume is what is going to get you with a tool like this. You could use any tank that is rated for a pressure like this. the more volume the better.

Barry

burnoutboy
11-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey Barry,

The post you made is very helpful to me. I have an old propane tank that will be perfect for me.

Exactly how long can you run your air tools for before pressure starts dropping?

Fox,

Did you follow any sort of guide / plans to make this cabinet, if so, where do you get them?

Cheers.

85ytz250n
11-09-2006, 08:53 PM
The pressure in my tanks gets down to 60psi after about 20min of constant use. I dont know if I would use a propane tank, but you can if you want to do a james bond impression. The volume of air that you have is going to determine how long before it drops to an unusable level.

Barry

thefox
11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I just bought a 4'x8' sheet of wood (thinner the better), and some 1"x2" and built the biggest box I could. I put the top on hinges and screwed some plexy (sp?) glass on the top so I could see it. I then cut two holes in the front for the gloves. I used a spare pair of welding gloves that I sowed about a foot of old pants on to so that I could reach around inside the box.

burnoutboy
11-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Got a bit of an update.

Got the tank all setup. Got my mate whos a welder by trade to weld it all up for me.. better to be safe than sorry.

I spent around 10 bucks on fittings. Still need some hose clamps,a few odds and ends and some paint for the tank.

The setup works wonders. I was sandblasting for ages before the pressure started to drop. The compressor fills up the tank pretty fast aswell.

Will finish it up tomorow and post some better pics.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov11108.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/conrod90/Workshop/Nov11104.jpg

edog
11-11-2006, 09:07 PM
The key to useing a small horse power motor..........is volume,and having a adjustable air regulator.

This is the setup I use.

3 weelin geezer
11-12-2006, 11:22 AM
I was going to get me a compressor too to run a nailgun and the sales guy at home depot wanted to sell me one that came with 3 other nailguns that I wouln't use so I declined but he kept insisting. It was one of those pancake type oil free compressors. Good for taking up to the roof but not much else. I am surprised he wasnt trying to sell me the more expensive and bigger one. Well, I ended up returning that one and the 'new' gun they gave me. (Somone put the warranty gun and stuck it back on the shelf) So I went to Blowes and scored me a 30 gal one with a cast iron pump that you stick oil in it for longer life. It can run say a cutoff tool for about 5-10 minutes before the pressure drops rediculously low to about 30 psi so I can just imagine how long it would take me with that dinky little midget compressor and how long it would not have lasted me. This one has wheels but it sure is heavy though. Definately not going upstairs.<p>
Haven't tried it for sandblasting but I can see that happening sometime. It says that its good for this but only in small sessions. I wonder just how long they mean?

85ytz250n
11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Just make you some tanks to fill Geezer, volume volume and most importantly volume. The PVC is a cheap way to get it. SCH40 is rated to 150 and sch80 is rated to 2 somethin. Mine has been going strong for about 2 months now and never had a leak. Nice setup Edog, very clean looking.

Barry

3 weelin geezer
11-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I guess, but I kinda wanted it portable. Well this one is big but its still portable I just have to catch my breath now and then. A pancake is still useless as it would burn out the compressor in no time I think. Just wasn't designed with industrial use in mind from the get go. Unless I just wanted to use it for airbrushing small Knight rider KITT kits. I still wanna get that scanner for it but unfortunately pay pal is being a pay enemy (or enema whichever way you look at it!:) ) and I havent been able to send the money.

Dirtcrasher
11-12-2006, 04:51 PM
The key to useing a small horse power motor..........is volume,and having a adjustable air regulator.

This is the setup I use.

What type of tanks are those??

Hmmm, I bet I could use a beer keg....

edog
11-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Empty Natural Gas tanks.

burnoutboy
11-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Edog,

that is one hell of a compressor setup. How much hp is the compressor unit.

Cheers.