PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing quad for GF

gravelord
11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
ok, my girl friend wants a quad.... she says she wants a 250ex - but she is afraid she will learn then grow out of it. i think a blaster would be better suited - but i think she should have a 4-stroke because she wont keep on maintenence real good, and i wont have enough time to fit her bike in my schedule all the time and my pockets arent deep enough to rebuild it. lol so i would say she needs a 4-stroke. she will need to learn a clutch for her next bike assumeing she gets something faster, so i would prefer to get her to have something with a clutch. i was thinking maybe a 300ex, this will be her first full sized quad shes ever ridden. i let her ride my 200x but she tipped it over. a trike isnt for her. hehe... i have a ATC250R and i want something that when she learns to ride, she can keep up with me if im not going as fast as i possibly can but still going pretty quick.
OH and she only has 1800 to spend. so what do you guys think?
ALSO if any of you live in NJ or PA and have a quad for sale that you think would be good for her let me know and post pics.... come on guys help me out here

69HemiGTX
11-07-2006, 10:37 PM
My fiance has never ridden a quad, but I've decided on a Z400 for her because of many reasons: I can limit the throttle with my own device, she'll never outgrow it (click "My pics" in sig for proof ;) ), there are millions of parts available for it, and most importantly, it's liquid cooled, so it won't get her legs too hot and it won't fry if she leaves it running for a while without moving forward.

gravelord
11-07-2006, 10:41 PM
i dont think i could find one for under 1800 though :(

85ytz250n
11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Go for a 300EX, lots of mods that you can do on them for a decent price. Honda reliability, so maintenance is minumul, but still cant be ignored. You can check atvtraderonline.com always good deals, probably close to you. It wont be as fast as your 250 on the bottom but on the top they are suprisingly quick. Good luck, and if she is willing to spend her money on a quad to ride with you, dont let her get away.

Barry

SYKO
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
my gf rides a built blaster, she dosnt know a whole lot about maitnence but her need to ride makes her listen to what I say as far as taken care of it. She loves it and as far as maitnence a blaster is on the easy end of maitnence.

also I have less then 1000 in this blaster with a stoker kit and a .40 wiscoe, in it and the purchase price! the shock cover put it over to 1020 now:D

El'Capitan
11-07-2006, 10:50 PM
I would go with a blaster, you can get them very cheap.....picked up a mint 98 for 1300.

smokinwrench
11-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Polaris 500 scrambler 4x4 all the way. They are great reliable machiens with crap loads of power. Always in the power with the auto trans. They run about 65mph. Good smooth suspension. 4x4 allows her to never get stuck. Around here all the women run scramblers and non of them want anything else. Once in a while they will all get on our machines and go for a spin and goof off.

85ytz250n
11-07-2006, 11:00 PM
You show me a Polaris that is $1800 and Ill buy it myself.

Barry

gravelord
11-07-2006, 11:17 PM
thanks for all your help so far guys i think your onto something with the blaster so far..... keep giving me ideas. lol

gravelord
11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
oh and by the way skycolin, my girl friend is obsessed with getting a pink bike or pink plastics for it .. ugh... hahahah

SYKO
11-07-2006, 11:44 PM
lol, my gf isnt a girliegirl, but she wanted pink, so when she smokes someone on her pink blaster they know for sure a girl beat them! lol, I see blasters every where for cheap, and parts and mods are cheap to

El'Capitan
11-08-2006, 12:01 AM
you can get a bolt on 240 kit for one for around $600

smokinwrench
11-08-2006, 12:24 AM
You show me a Polaris that is $1800 and Ill buy it myself.

Barry

I bought our 1998 500 scrambler 4x4 with a set of 21x12/9 9 paddle skat trak haulers. I think it was about 3 years ago that we bought it and it was only $2,100 then. It has been a perfect quad for us. This summer it had its first break down and that was it thrashing a belt. It was my fault I should have doen some maintenance to it before a 55 mile poker run at WOT.

I know there are some $1,800-2,100 scramblers out there.

85ytz250n
11-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Sorry smokin, maybe I spoke to soon. I haven never personnaly seen any around here go for that, not saying they dont just havent seen it. I love Polaris, next wuad will be one of the twostroke sportsmen 500, Uncle had one. It was a blast and was very fast. With any quad that old you are taking a risk unless you know the person selling it. 300ex are a dime a dozen for the newer models.

Barry

El'Capitan
11-08-2006, 02:39 AM
i would go with a Blaster, 300EX, or a 250X. All reputable intro quads.

ATC crazy
11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Go with the 300EX. They are great for a beginner, and the aftermarket is very strong for them. If she ever gets bored of the power, drop a 330 kit into it, and it will be faster than the 400's. Dirtwheels tested the 330 kit and they were very impressed.

El'Capitan
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Are you sure a 300ex w/ a 330 kit will beat the 400's???? O_o thats a little hard to beileive....since the 300 engine is just a stroked 250 one.

atctim
11-08-2006, 12:26 PM
How big is your g/f? stature wise - for a beginner - I would say (from a friends experience) that a 300EX is too much bike. There is alot going on for first timer riders - and adding a manual clutch is just something else to throw in the mix. I would start her off on something with an auto clutch - electric start - not too much power and not too heavy - 250EX sounds perfect. Or even a 250 Recon. Remember -(as I said above about a friend) a 300 may be nothing to ride for us, but for a first timer, I personally think it's too much bike.

El'Capitan
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
A manual clutch and kick start may sound like alot for a noob to swallow but if they have a half decent instructor it sholdnt be a problem. We got my sister a blaster last week, we had been looking for a auto clutch, electric start somthing or other but the blaster came up for a good deal on it so we went with it. It took her about 5-10 min to master the clutch, and she is getting more comfortable with shifting. The kick start is soooooooo easy that its not a problem for her, shes not that big.

Rm250RF900R
11-08-2006, 04:01 PM
I also agree on the 300ex. Nice little quad. Great aftermarket support. Cant go wrong.

gravelord
11-08-2006, 07:22 PM
eh, on the 200x she popped the clutch alot and stalled it with a little wheelie going. i think a 300ex wouldnt be too much bike, but hell you never know with women. lol.... im leaning toward a blaster or 300ex. 300ex i think is out of the price range from what i see around the area. it almost seems to me that bikes cost more in NJ area then any where else in the US ! i can look on ebay and see alot more bikes going cheaper in other states that are pretty far away. and 250ex's seem even more sought after then the blasters that are just as new. im leaning toward a blaster right now, you guys have done awesome helping me, thanks for all the replys, and if you have any thing else in mind let me know. I DO think a kick start would be better for her. shes average size id say for a girl though

gravelord
11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
OOPS i mean electric start would be better for her.

SYKO
11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
my girlfreind can kick hers over stittin on the seat, so I think the blasters are an easy thing to start, and I think there cheap in every state. I even enjoy gettin gon the little thing and raggin it around for a min.

Mrs.Mosh
11-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I've ridden a 250x (similar to the 300ex without electric start) and a Warrior. I loved them both. The Warrior was a better hill climber because of the heavier front end. But, the 250x was more nimble and exciting to ride. The Warrior has an easier to use reverse, electric start, and can be found pretty cheap for a nice one. Most 300ex's fetch around $2-$3000. But you can find a pretty nice Warrior for around $1500 that needs a little TLC. Which, imo, makes a suitable and cost effective alternative to the Blaster.
I rode a Blaster (old style) brakes kinda...well...sucked. And, it didn't have much bottom end.

firefirefire90
11-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I also agree on the 250x. I have ridden one, not hard, but rode it nevertheless. It was very light with the suspension and had good braking power. Quicker than many quads that I have driven. The good thing is, if she gets bored with the power...drop in a 350X motor while she isnt looking! Powroll kit is a bit pricey, but i think it is well worth it.

gravelord
11-20-2006, 07:31 PM
thanks for the help we got a blaster !
it needs a few things, we spent 1200, breaks are *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, axle is slightly bent, and its missing a foot peg. but it came with a extra motor thats blown, crank and head is shot, but the spare engine had mid range porting, extra FMF pipe/silencer, extra shocks, axle, swingarm, tires, all sorts of extra crap. so it wasnt that bad of a deal, pretty mcuh a whole extra bike came with it.

theonlyjosh
11-20-2006, 10:48 PM
nice, sounds a lil steep to me, but i haven't seen it. axle is bent, and missin footpeg though :S, post up some pics :D

gravelord
11-20-2006, 11:09 PM
it came with a whole other bike minus frame and a-arms !! the engine was blown though on the second one, needs crank bearings and bore and new head.
so if any one needs parts and wants to trade let me know!
we will take some pics this weekend. its pretty nice besides that. go look at my post in the open forums and theres a pic of my 250r though hehe my 250r got to see some strange alien encounter!!!

Charles Ford
11-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Please post all classifieds in the classifieds forums. Do not hijack someone else's thread! - Moderator

gravelord
11-21-2006, 11:41 PM
this is MY thread.... dont you see i made this thread?