PDA

View Full Version : CVT clutch questions

85hondaatc125m
11-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Alright, I had an idea to make a dune buggy type honda odyssey with a spare skidoo engine that I have. I have most of my idea figured out, exept for my rear axle and front steering, but for know im thinking about the rear axle. If I had a secondary clutch welded staight to an axle,just the clutch, welded to a piece of pipe/ strong metal with hubs on the end, and that is all, would that work for a drive system? Or would I need some type of secondary clutch hooked up to gears and gears hooked up to the axle? ill try to show you what I want to do in picture numer 1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/Shotgun38/backview.jpg
So if you understand what I mean, I want to weld a seconday clutch, straight to a homemade rear axle with no gears or anything, will this work, and will it work? WIll it spin the axle and will be able to do 5mph and then with the hit of the throttle be able to go to 45mph?

jason 32
11-15-2006, 01:02 AM
i hate belt drive auto 's
can you make it a chain drive youll be happier
it should work if its assembled right,you loose a lot of power with belt drives
ect...
mabe adapt sprockets to it

Jason Hall
11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I put a snowmobile engine on a 250R frame & ran Into the world's biggest challenge with the gear ratio. I can almost garrantee you will need to chain drive the axle so you can gear It way down. I bought 5 sprocket's before I could make It stop burning the belt. My rear sprocket wound up being about the size of the rear tire's.