PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for winter riding on stock '86 250r

XTrumpX
11-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Needing help with setting up my stock '86 250r to run it this winter on the ice. I use to run old 4 strokes 20 some years ago and they didn't need much tuning to get them to run in the winter without burning them up. I was told that the jets and some small other stuff would need to be replaced and tuned. Any help is appreciated. Condition would be around 20-35 degree weather.

x.system
11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Its simple, change out your main jet to a larger number, say you have a 165, bump it up to 170, 175 and do some plug chops. Make sure you let the bike warm up completly before hammering on it also.

I run a 175/185 main in the summer, in the winter I run anywhere from a 190 to 220 depending on the temp. The colder it is the larger the main jet.

XTrumpX
11-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks. I just picked up the bike last week from Michigan and took it straight to my neighbors shop for them to tear it down and go threw it. I'd do it myself but I just don't have the time right now (nor the room in the garage) I'm not sure what sizes are in it now... so, would you say a 10-15 jump in size would be a good choice? I know it depends on whaqts already in there. Are you running gauges on yours?

x.system
11-17-2006, 11:49 PM
The R's are jetted fat right from the factory and with yours being all stock its not going to be to hard to jet it for winter. If its still stock it should have a 145 main in it. Jetting is probably the most crucial part of owning an R and keeping it running at its best. If you don't know how to read a plug you can do a search on the forum and you will have enuff reading for days. Get in a habit of checking the plug often, before, during and after riding. A quick plug chop now and then is also a good thing.

Heres what honda recomends for a stock bike for your elevation and the temps you refered to.

22-104 degrees F - Main jet 145
needle clip position - 3rd position
air screw 2 1/4 turns out

0-22 degrees F - main jet 148
needle clip position - 4th position from top of needle
air screw 2 1/4 turns out

-13-0 degrees F - main jet 150
needle clip position - 5th from top
air screw - 1 3/4 turns out

These are all for elevations from 0 to 5000 ft and will get you in the ball park but will probably be fat just like stock settings. To gain a little more rev you can lean it out a little more by going a size or two smaller on the main jet but if your going to be holding it wide open on the ice I would recomend keeping it fat so you don't blow it up.

XTrumpX
11-18-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm not all that unfamiliar with the 250r. I raced them back in early to mid 80's on short tracks in the Midwest. I never took them out in the winter because they were torn down by October. I still had the 90 to whip around on it's balloons in the winter.
Well as it looks, just a small jump from 145 to 148. I don't plan on being outside below 15 :)

I got the itch back because on my way to work last year, I went over a river which is about 5 blocks from my house and I saw them racing down the strip. I figured I'd go out there this year and play with the quads.