PDA

View Full Version : Best way to redo or paint rims?

Tri-ZNate
11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
ok just got a 1990 F-350 which i am getting ready for spring. Needs a nice paint job, flat bed installed, 7" or 8" stacks, and the rims repainted or something done with them. Now if I sand and paint these rims how long are they going to actually hold up before they start looking like hell?

SYKO
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
if you sand them and prep them well, and spray either a self etching primer or an epoxy primer and use any single stage or basecoat clear coat automotive paint as the top coat it should last as long as the rest of the paint on the vehicle, or you can take the tires off and get the rims powdercoated, iv edone quite a few sets of rims in custom paint and have never had a problem, and there stikll rolling after a few years still looking good.

Bryan Raffa
11-21-2006, 12:25 AM
finally got a truck that fits ya! lol you and brapp and thoes stacks,,that a PA thing? LOL

Tri-ZNate
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
ok sykolincoln I'll make sure The prep work is done very well before we use the automotive paint on it. I'm thinking gloss white rims and a gloss white body to match :cool:

And raffa I think it is a PA thing. I went all the way out to South dakota and I saw noone with stacks on a pick-up, came back to PA and saw 3 on the road lol. Plus it just looks that much cooler

SYKO
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
make sure you at least use 320 grit san paper make sure you get ever nook and cranny then before your done get a red scotchbrite and go over all the rims and every nook and cranny, this way you have scuffed every possible surface fo rthe paint to adhear to, its also best if you can to leave just the outer lip in metal so that the paint dosnt start chipping from weights and/or the tires being put on. ALso if they were painted aluminum rims then regualer primer will be fine, but if there bare aluminum or chrome plated they really need to have epoxy primer put on them, and if you use epoxy primer use it like a wet on wet sealer, first spray the epoxy (one coat is suficiant) to cover, then wait 30-45 mins then spray your basecoat till coverd then alow about 1-1 1/2 before clear coat, or spray epoxy then wait 30-45 mins then apply single stage top coat and wait at least 30 mins between coats (no more than 3) then they should look killer!! im my opinion black rims look mean

Tri-ZNate
11-21-2006, 05:33 PM
yeah I'm trying to go through rim color and body color options in my head to make the stacks look that much better. I think Blue body with white or chrome color should look nice and set off the chrome stacks sufficently.