PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Honda Rincon 680 4x4 Dyno Results...

fyi
11-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Here is some information we thought some of you gents might like to see if you're interested. :)

It was slow around the shop today just before the Holiday, so one of my employees and I decided to strap my new 2007 Honda Rincon 4x4 680cc ATV down to the chassis dyno to see what this thing was really made of. I have no clue as to what these things are rated at from the factory, nor how much power they are supposed to make at the wheels, so I didn't really care what it made- just as long as it pulled something respectable. ;)

We made 3 pulls of each change and recorded the highest reading of each group to try to capture some sort of pull-to-pull accuracy. Also, all pulls were done in second gear to prevent excessive wheel speed and tire pressure was set to 12 psi. for some sort of safety at speed. Maximum engine speed was taken to 6500 RPM for engine/trans. safety, as the break-in oil is still in the engine and 87 octane pump fuel was used. Dyno cell conditions were 49.65* ambient temperature, 29.93 baro. pressure, 38% humidity, and the SAE correction factor was 0.95%.

Anyway...

On the first group of runs, we got a baseline of what this thing is making completely stock, with the exception of the aftermarket stock-size tires on stock-size wheels. I thought it might make a bit more power than that stock, but honestly, I really didn't know what to expect.

The second group of runs were the same as stock, only this time with the stainless steel 2" Exhaust Power Tip we purchased on Ebay installed. The sound is a LOT better, but we didn't expect to see much power gain from this mod and the final numbers proved what we thought. It pretty much made the same power as stock for all practicle purposes. Basically, nothing to write home about or certainly nothing anyone would feel in the seat of their pants...

The third group of runs were the same as stock, only this time the tip was removed completely and the muffler baffle was left wide open. A bit louder sound, but not too bad and only a tiny bit more power than the performance tip from before.

BTW- Does anyone know what these engines are supposed to be rated at? What's the factory engine RPM redline anyway??

We had a real ball playing around with this thing and it was certainly fun to see what she's got! You've got to hand it to the Japanese for building a nearly bullet-proof machine and we'll probably be testing more components later on to see what kind of power this thing can make! WooHoo! :D

-john

fyi
11-22-2006, 06:58 PM
We went ahead and put the 2" power tip back on and warmed up the machine for another few rounds of testing. This time though, we monitored engine temperatures a little closer to see what engine temps this thing is likes to run at and so we could replicate those temps for each pull for pull data accuracy. The engine seems to hover around 165*-170* at idle and rises to approx. 200* after a full throttle run. I don't know what temps these machines are supposed to run at, but those figures are what we have seen repeatedly so far.

Also, I don't know if this thing is "breaking in" a little better now and "loosening up" from all of this WOT dyno time we've been putting it through, but the power on both sides came up just a tiny bit from before, everything else being equal- WooHoo! (baseline graph added for reference)

Anyway...
We just tested some fuel blends in this thing to see what it liked and didn't like and the results were surprising to us... The engine didn't seem to like the 60/40 blend of Sunoco 104 octane unleaded racing fuel and 87 octane pump fuel nearly as well as just straight 87 fuel that we started out with. Plus, I think it got richer with the race fuel added, since the specific gravity of this brand of racing fuel is about .211 heavier than 87 octane pump fuel and the ECM calibration is dialed in for that type of fuel mix. My guess is that's where the power went... :-)

-john