PDA

View Full Version : Lets set the Tiger debate record straight

mohawk
11-22-2006, 04:58 PM
first off, this is not a flame post. it is not an argument. it is, in fact, just a statement. and ive discussed it with mods, and it will be watched for flames.

with that said,
i am getting so many PM's and emails concerning Tigers and Mr Wood, that i can barely keep up at times. so i will go on record here and now, hopefully to clear some things up.
on a side note, arguments and disputes from previous posts have been settled through PM's and moderation. i really wish more people here would embrace what is happening instead of dispute it. which is why i am posting this, to hopefully get things moving in a more positive direction.

id like to set the record straight on why my Tiger auction was cancelled, which by the way, wasnt last minute but was a day and a half before it ended.

one reason, which i stated DAYS before I ended it, was that i will not be influenced by petty arguments . i am hoping we are beyond this. the point has been made, and i have no quarms or anger towards this person, and invite him to PM me so we can share information and get a fresh start.

but the main reason, as i made very clear to the public here several times over, was that i was contacted by Peter Wood, the founder of Tiger ATV, days before the auction ended. I was asked by Mr Wood if he could come and do some research on the Tiger. being as no one has heard from the man in nearly 20 years (except jesse, who located him and sent him my way) this was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to make atv history and gain valuable information. and since i am only a couple hours away from him, it made for a perfect scenario. stop and ask yourself, what would you have done ? turn him down ? I didnt think so.

Mr Wood came up saturday, as well as jesse, and we spent about 6 hours discussing racing, Tigers, and the industry in general. Mr Wood came back again this morning for a couple of hours, just leaving my office about 15 minutes ago, to go over a few more things. he will be back again this weekend, but thats another story.

whats happening here is more then I can explain or go into detail about. but when its all said and done, you will all be apart of atv history. these forums, through me, jesse and Mr Wood, will be the first to gain the facts and knowledge about Tiger ATV's, and its racing history.

we are in current discussion about making a possible documentary, with interviews, comments, vintage footage, etc.
and to clarify why, believe me it isnt about money. Mr Wood has no problems in that department. the market for such a documentray is small, limited to old time racers on forums like these, and you arent going to make it rich with something that has such a small customer base.

so if i had to explain why a man, who has the lived the life he has, would want to re-live the past and bring all of this up after 20 years of silence, then you just wouldnt understand.

i hope this clarifies a few things, and puts some sort of end to the disputes currently in progress, which are still being sprouted up on the forums.
try looking at the positive aspect of these happenings, instead of the negative. youll find it much more appealing.

as for myself, im through arguing about it. and hopefully the "mohawk witch hunt" is over. its only been a handful of people causing the problem, compared to the dozens of positive pm's im getting, so im not holding it against the masses.
and maybe after this, we can all come to terms.

thanks for your time and happy thanksgiving

Billy Golightly
11-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Now that this has been said I'm going to reply and say that this will not turn into a flame fest. I will not be editing or deleting posts. I will be removing users from the forum. So if you don't have something nice to say, save yourself some embarrassment and hit the back button NOW

atctim
11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Mohawk -

Any time frame on when the "information" will be released publically? Like the spec sheets posted in the specs page of this site? I am finding myself more and more interested, but I have yet to learn too much morethan I already knew about the illusive Tigers.

Anxiously waiting more info, as I know you had mentioned in a previous post you were doing a write up of some sort.

mohawk
11-22-2006, 05:45 PM
thanks for asking tim, and i hope this sets a trend for more Q&A from the members , instead of us all fighting .

if we just make the info a story or "write up" , then it will only take a month or two, maybe a little longer. but if we go for the "big kahuna" video, which is how Mr Wood is thinking, then it will probably take until spring to gather all the footage, pics, information, live interview with Mr Wood (which would be awesome footage, because he never tires of talking about the old days, and the information flows from him like water. it truly is a privelage everytime i talk to him, i cant hardly explain it).

my brother used to own a video editing company, and i believe still has his gear. so i am going to contact him soon to see what it will take to get the interview done. he will also be the one to put the video together, slide shows, documents, etc, when it is finally produced. so i need to have a good talk with him over costs, and a time frame.

me and jesse are very excited about this. and jesse is really getting some good information from what Mr Wood told me this morning over coffee.

ill keep the forums updated on progress.

thanks again tim, glad were on the "same page" now :)

happy thanksgiving !

chris200x
11-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe invite Mr. Woods to join the forums and start a thread. I'm sure Billy or one of the other mods will make it a sticky like Dean's (long live 3wheeling mag) or Mike Coe's (atc4me) threads. Now that would be sweet!

I'd like him to shed some light on this elusive lil sucker.. :naughty:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=53996

ATC-Eric
11-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Mohawk I must say this is an awesome time for you. Meeting with Mr. Wood, and becoming good friends is great! I do trust your enjoying every minute.

On the movie note, I think it would be great to do a full flegged documentary. I mean to go even as far as the big screen! Bare with me here..... Havent they made dirtbike films and what not that have hit the theaters? I think it would be awesome to take it to that level, and really paint an accurate picture as to what the scene was like back then, and how it all ended.

Definently hit Mike Coe up!

Cant wait to see what comes.

Eric

Edit: Can you post that pic of Mr. Wood on the Tiger from your avatar? I didnt realize the thing was that big!

mohawk
11-22-2006, 06:02 PM
well, after all of the previous arguments that occured, it might take alot of convincing because he does glance at these forums from time to time.
but, when i see him sunday ill see what he says.

Mr Wood is the kinda guy that enjoys his peace and quiet. very complacent and a pretty mellow temperament. he seems like the kinda guy to stray away from public discussions, which i think may be a big part of why he hooked up with me and jesse so he can tell his story through us, on a more personal level without complications or being drawn out.

know what i mean ? i think i said that right lol

but hey dude, thanks for askin :)

mohawk
11-22-2006, 06:11 PM
p.s.
im not sure if this is the appropriate forum to mention this, but on that certain thing i currently have on a certain auction site for a certain Tiger item, i made a note that i would publically post any positive remarks towards Mr Wood. this doesnt mean bid, by any means, and thats not what im asking. what im saying is that if you want to send a quick message about Tigers or Mr Wood through the PM system on that site, I will post it. as long as it contains no personal information. its a good opportunity to give a "shout out" :)

Vealmonkey
11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I think it's a pretty amazing thing what Peter Woods and a small group of people did, going up against the dragon like that. I believe his trikes are masterpieces of ingenuity for what was available at the time. He built truly purpose built trikes. I'm sure at times, parts availability made the job even more difficult. I'm also pretty sure after reading what the dragon would do to their own riders, that they also pretty much went out of their way to make life miserable for anyone else. It must have taken alot to want to manufacture and race in a time when another manufacturer basically controlled and manipulated what went on in their racing series. It must have been very frutstrating. My hat goes off to you Peter Woods. I have always enjoyed your designs. I always looked forward to the occasional picture of a Tiger in the magazines. I look forward to hearing your story. Hopefully 1 day I will be lucky enough to come across one of your machines and be able to purchase it. I would be really happy to find a Tiger 80, or at least enough parts to put one together. Good luck Mr. Woods.

2quick4u
11-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Did Mr Wood stay in the manufacturing and design field or did he move on to other adventures after Tiger ATV.

x.system
11-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Its to bad Peter Wood didn't get in contact with OC or Erectordale first off, we wouldn't have had any of these problems. Not flaming you mohawk but both of these guys would have went about this totally different and would have done things for the greater good for everyone involved with trikes. This site is know for having the most information on trikes and everyone contributes to that when they find new items. Put me down for the info, I'll pay for it and donate it to the site if need be so everyone can have a look at some rare Tiger info.

Peter Wood,

If your reading this please feel free to register and let the mods make you your own thread like with Mike Coe. Read his thread, he's not here all the time but visits and responds when he can. I'm sure the guys who collect and restore these tigers would love to throw a couple questions your way and I know the rest of the forum members, myself included, would love to read what you have to say.

Mosh
11-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I really find this so interesting,that 1 man,can take and build a few machines(trikes)and it become one of the most sought after items in the ATV world.I mean that right there is what you call living the..... AMERICAN DREAM.To build a creation in small numbers and it become such a treasure to people.And being the creator,to sit back and look at how respected your project became.I only wish I could have a Tiger.I would never ride it,just prolly hang it from the ceiling or something.Guarded by 15 rottweilers

SYKO
11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
I stayed away form all the tiger stuff, just closely following it, seeing how many people seemed almost jealous, I think these trikes are pure history, I mean these were a us made trike compeating and winning against huge funded factory race teams.

I beleive this is a wealth of information that needs not to be passed up by any one, we all should be thankfull of the circumstances surrounding Mohawk finding this tiger and subsuquently being able to unlock all the what if's and is it true's? surrounding the tigers.

I cant wait

Tri-ZNate
11-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Mohawk, did he ever talk about the tiger 80?

Trikeaholic
11-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I typed a huge post, and then decided "what difference does it make". sometimes I really miss her, but then again, sometimes I dont.

200xcellent
11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
I typed a huge post, and then decided "what difference does it make". sometimes I really miss her, but then again, sometimes I dont.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Macs
11-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Finally a thread on this subject with a positive note. i love that you are bringing mr. woods into the picture. It already has given us great info. it would be nice if you would keep it the info comming and ignore the ignorant of us. I am not the smartest guy nor the richest but i have a love for these machines even though there time was up when i was 8.

PS: every time you said " thats a story for another day " ( or something like that ) i was hoping you were going to say production was restarted.

thanks again for the info you have provided. Please add me to your email list of info.

Barry Mann
Deer Park, Tx

Pete
11-22-2006, 09:55 PM
http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/602/602__image_09.jpg

hrc200x
11-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Here is a pic from Pete, Tigers getting assembled, there's two pallots of motors in the background (white boxes that say rotax on them).

Maybe Tiger owners can confirm a difference in gas tanks. Notice no front mounting bolts or holes for bolts?

ride_red_95
11-23-2006, 12:48 AM
***edited*** **STOP TYPING AROUND THE WORD FILTERS!!!! - MODERATOR

2quick4u
11-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Great picture can't wait to see some more!

Orangecnty250r
11-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Here is a pic from Pete, Tigers getting assembled, there's two pallots of motors in the background (white boxes that say rotax on them).

Maybe Tiger owners can confirm a difference in gas tanks. Notice no front mounting bolts or holes for bolts?

Thats one of the coolest pictures ever posted on here THANKS!!!!! and it will be in a small frame in my shop in about 10 minutes!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

longbedGTs
11-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Though I am not a fan of Tigers, I am finding this all very interesting! :beer

chris200x
11-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Did Mr. woods ever give you any kind of production numbers? I think It would be intresting to see how many of these things were actually made.

blue27
11-24-2006, 06:09 AM
:) A good read on Tigers and info. Thanks Mohawk. I guess maybe I should push my Tiger Resto project up the list.:naughty: :naughty:

I think we need to start a registry of Tigers and who has what and differences. Maybe a page or link to a page that is locked by the moderators (not a thread)with a list of what is still out there. My Opinoin.

atctim
11-24-2006, 01:34 PM
One question I would like to know is about the Tiger rear shock setup. Why is the shock offset in the frame unlike any other ATV? There must have been a reason and I am sure Mr. Wood could elaborate. Please find this out as I am sure the reasoning behind it is very interesting.

Trikeaholic
11-24-2006, 07:14 PM
One question I would like to know is about the Tiger rear shock setup. Why is the shock offset in the frame unlike any other ATV? There must have been a reason and I am sure Mr. Wood could elaborate. Please find this out as I am sure the reasoning behind it is very interesting.

because it was easier to do, just like ATK bikes. man, it aint rocket science.

tecatecrazy
11-24-2006, 09:17 PM
i love the frame stands in the tiger assembly pic above

84honda200s
11-24-2006, 11:11 PM
im not a huge tiger fan either but i do tip my hat to what mr. woods has done.

scooterroo
11-25-2006, 08:43 AM
now this is an awesome thread. cuddos to mohawk, i enjoy whats going on here. an informative thread on the tiger, not a arguement thread. so this documentary your doing, is it going t be a video, availible by download? or on dvd? either way i am wanting a copy. and i agree with making a sticky thread like the mike coe one.

mohawk
11-25-2006, 08:50 AM
A good read on Tigers and info. Thanks Mohawk. I guess maybe I should push my Tiger Resto project up the list.

I think we need to start a registry of Tigers and who has what and differences. Maybe a page or link to a page that is locked by the moderators (not a thread)with a list of what is still out there. My Opinoin.

thats a HELL of a good idea. seriously, get a modd on it, that would be sweet.

according to Mr Wood and the best of his recolection, its somewhere in the hundreds, maybe 300-400 total for all models.
no actual data exists per model, but the 4 wheeler is around 50 maybe a few more, and the tiger 125 is the least out of the 3 wheelers. most likely the reason you see so few 80's is that after racing ended, the wheelers were probably passed down to children, where as they were brutally ran until the literally fell apart, and with the lack of parts for repair and the kids outgrowing them, were most likely junked. as opposed to 125's and bigger,where an adult would take better care of it, and fix or repair as needed using whatever means neccessary.

scooterroo
11-25-2006, 11:15 AM
wow, is that a total of all the years they were made, or is that a by year basis? if it is the total of all bike made ever, wow. i guess they are as rare as said to be. and not to bring up a sore subject, but maybe mr. wood could provide some insight onto the last model bike made. does he have more pics of back in the day at the factory and stuff? wow the questions could go on and on, but i will wait to see how this all developes.

mohawk
11-25-2006, 12:21 PM
thats the total, period. he didnt have any more pics, long story as to what happened to them.

atctim
11-25-2006, 03:32 PM

I am failing to see why it would be any earier to put it in there at an angle VS. in line with the trike's chassis. Could you elaborate please.

88 Turbo Coupe
11-26-2006, 07:24 AM
I think the most saught after part for the Tiger are the fenders. Can you ask Mr. Woods who made them and how it was done?

Trikeaholic
11-29-2006, 11:03 PM
I am failing to see why it would be any earier to put it in there at an angle VS. in line with the trike's chassis. Could you elaborate please.

the air intake would be in the way, and it makes no difference if the shock is centered or not. linkage systems cost money to manufacture and develop. That is the only reason. look at KTM, they dropped the linkage and now they talk about how revolutionary it is, when ATK and Tiger were doing it 20 some years ago because they had no money!

atctim
11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Oh - I see the logic now. That is pretty neat about how KTM says it is revolutionary - yet Tiger did it so long ago for a different reason.

This thread is way cool! Glad all the bickering is over with and I personally apoligize to Mohawk if he took offense to any of my other posts regarding this subject. I guess I am always on the defensive when it comes to 3 wheelers - especially old rare ones like this one. Cheers to Mohawk for helping us piece more of the Tiger puzzle together.

Orangecnty250r
12-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Cheers to Mohawk for helping us piece more of the Tiger puzzle together.

Yes, thank you mohawk :naughty: ;)

Teeksoffroad
12-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Did these Tigers win a lot of races ? Which ones ? I thought I read an early post of Mike Coe's saying the Tiger's didn't do much or he doesn't remember them. Does anyone recall that post ?

chris200x
12-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Did these Tigers win a lot of races ? Which ones ? I thought I read an early post of Mike Coe's saying the Tiger's didn't do much or he doesn't remember them. Does anyone recall that post ?

I remember reading that in Coeshow's thread. Seems the Honda motor company ruled pretty much everything back then.

I just wish Mr. Woods would post on here and tell his side of the story. :naughty:

Bryan Raffa
12-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I remember reading that in Coeshow's thread. Seems the Honda motor company ruled pretty much everything back then.

I just wish Mr. Woods would post on here and tell his side of the story. :naughty:

THIS.....
I did race against the Tigers. There was a samll effort from them, but they never seemed to do well for the most part. I don't ever remember anyone even running at the front in any races on a Tiger. I may be wrong here, but that is how I remember it.
:lol:
OR THIS....
I never really thought(at the time) that the Tigers were ever much comparison to a Honda. I know they put on a small effort and team, but I can't recall if they ever were truely competitive.

I don't think anyone racing a Tiger EVER beat me in a race!

:lol:

Orangecnty250r
12-01-2006, 07:28 PM
The tigers never did well in mx....People took note when according to one article I have

""Tiger ATV shocked the highly competive racing circuit by winning the 200cc 2 stroke class at the lake George National." Also growing up I had a flattrack less than 5 miles from my house .....used to go there every friday night under the lights in the mid 1980's...The peson who used to have all of 3 tigers machines used to race there...I have seen his actual machines run and win.....they Won and won alot!!!!

250rAL
12-02-2006, 11:37 AM
The problem was probably that they didn't have national caliber riders like Coe.

scooterroo
12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
you talkng about lake george as in lake george, ny? up here just above albany? wow.

Bryan Raffa
12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
you talkng about lake george as in lake george, ny? up here just above albany? wow.

YES Right by US!:D

scooterroo
12-08-2006, 11:33 PM
wow thats awesome...tiger making history in my back yard, cool. the lake george winter carnival starts in feburary, if the lake is froze this year. cant wait...