PDA

View Full Version : Super Swamping help

Yamaha_Rules69
04-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Hello everyone. Today I went swamping on my Yamaha Tri moto 200. I was basically riding in the middle of a creek through the water, and It was pretty deep. As I got in the really deep stuff (4-5 ft) I could feel the thing floating. It was fun until I let off the throttle and It sucked a bunch of water into the air filter. I had to get into the water and push it to shore. Some water also got in the exhaust. After about an hour and a half, I finally got it running, but I had to take the filter out and leave the lid off the air box, so it could breath.

I have a few questions about setting an ATC up for water riding. What are some good ways for keeping water out, allowing it to run in deep water? Would a snorkel help? If so, how would a person make one? I was also thinking about a breather hose for the air box to connect on the bottom, and mount on the handle bars or a high position, allowing air to get to the carb, and keeping the filter dry. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Super Swamping ROCKS!!

Andrew
04-15-2003, 10:35 AM
i tried a snorkel on my ytm200 a while back,i made it by cutting a hole in the side of the airbox and installing a car radiator hose with the filter taped to the top of the hose,if it would have worked i would have been able to go thru 5ft of water!,but it didnt,because with the snorkel it did not get enough air to the motor,but if u put some kind of fan?on the top of the snorkel forcing air into it,it should work,good luck!

MustangChris
04-16-2003, 12:38 AM
My tecate has a snorkel on it, grey hose in the middle. I used some hose off a washing machine. use a small piece of pipe with a nut on the end to bolt in the air box the seal it up. Then ran the hose under and along under the gas tank up the handle bars.

http://www.members.aol.com/a92evilgt/tecate.jpg

TimSr
04-16-2003, 03:47 PM
If your going into 4-5 FEET of water, your gonna need more than a snorkel!

Yamaha_Rules69
04-16-2003, 08:46 PM
I went swamping through a creek again yesterday. (only a few feet deep this time) Before I went, I was sure to plug the bottom of my air box with a cork. Sure enough, It worked, and it didnt die once, but I wasnt in nearly as deep of water that I was in last time either. I guess thats where the water came in, is through the bottom of the airbox. Im still trying to rig something for really deep water. I think it would work really good to put some sand paddle tires on, then take it into some water twisted It would be just like a boat lol. Hey MustangChris, I'll have to try and make a snorkel like you did. Is your Kawi an 84?

MustangChris
04-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Yea its an 84 with a muddin capabilities. I rode in water half way up the tank with no problems. For some reason it can mud, and thats all I seem to do with it anymore.

Andrew
04-17-2003, 03:13 PM
u use a tecate strictly 4 mudding?!

MustangChris
04-17-2003, 11:47 PM
u use a tecate strictly 4 mudding?!

Pretty much thats all I do with it, deer lease mainly. I do take it out to county road to go riding it has some sand and hills. Last time I was out there, alot of people were stopping and asking me about it.

Andrew
04-18-2003, 11:08 AM
sounds like u need to sell that tecate and get a bigred!