PDA

View Full Version : Free advice- stay away from culverts with your quad...

8bikesandcounting
04-13-2003, 11:44 PM
I went for a drive on my 400ex the other day, not planning on getting to dirty. There was water running down the ditch ( snow melt ) and at the approach there was a culvert. I decided to get close and see how deep a hole the water washed from the running water. Well I drove down in the ditch and I got too close cuz before I knew it, there I was, up to my neck in freezing water and my quad floating beside me. I managed to push it up out of the hole and back onto the road but I killed the battery trying to get it started again and a 400ex has no back up so I was screwed. I ended up walking home until some neighbors picked me up. I felt pretty retarded, but its not the first time i've filled a bike, one rinse and two oil changes later, the bikes back to normal. Moral of the story, be careful when driving in water, you never know where there might be a 10 x 10 hole six feet deep.

3WheelHouston
04-14-2003, 12:47 AM
I did something sort of similar on a Big Red, but it kept going. I had a hott girl in the back of it too. heh. We were riding in the flood a few years ago and in a water wheelie at the time when I ran off in a deep hole. luckily neither she nor I weigh much so it floated enough that the back end only dropped out for a sec. But it was a good thing cause her shirt was white and she got nice and wet. lol.

cmracer15
04-14-2003, 02:44 PM
LOL i bet you loved that 3wheel. :D

About a week ago me and a buddy were riding the 125m and he told me to go through this flooded area..he said it would only go up to about the fenders..well i didnt it and next thing i know the handle bars were under water...it was still runnin and i was almost out so i figured what the hell...floor it....i almost made it out then the engine died..so i hopped off real quick so i could keep the muffler above the water and the whole trick just floated...ive never had it under water and i was surprised that it could float..so i pushed it across and i held the elec start down for like 30 seconds trailprotrailpro it started again..i was gettin scared cuz i thought i was gonah ave to walk home..which was like 10-15 miles away...but what can i say...its a HONDA 8)

Jeb
04-17-2003, 11:15 AM
I've had a couple of deep water experiences. :-D

I decided to find another way across a creek one time aboard my 84 Tecate. It looked shallow, I rode out into it and fell in a hole and the water came clear up to mid gas tank. For a second or two, I was making progress with motor completely under water and running wide open. thats about how long it took for the water to get to the filter and cut the air off. So I jumped off and it floated right up to where I could get it back to the shallow where I could push it out. went to crank it and couldn't even turn the motor over. thanks to the beauty of an under the seat tool kit, I pulled the rear fender (something you have to do to get to the airfilter of an 84/85 Tecate, yes, it sux), got the airfilter out and hung it on a tree limb to dry. I stuck one of the fender bolts into the crank case breather tube and set the Tecate up on its grab bar and it poured water out of the silencer like a bath tub facet. I pulled the flywheel cover to add in drying the ignition out. Then My buddy and I set and visited till the airfilter dried out which didn't take long on a breezy sunny afternoon. I put it all back together and it fired right up. I got back to the truck with out pushing so It was a success. I got home, changed the oil, and it ran fine from there on out.

Way back in the 80's, I was riding cow trails one saturday around a creek with a friend of mine. He was on an 85 KX125 and I was on my trusty old DT 175. We were climbing up a muddy trail up a bank and my 175 was spinning and wrapped up pretty good not far from the top when it caught some dry ground and shot the front end skyward, and left me behind on the ground. at the top of this trail, you had to make a hard 90 degree right hand turn and ride along the top of the bank or drop off a straight 10 or 12 foot drop-off to the water. Well instead of the 175 falling over or looping out, it ran right straight off the bank. when I got to the top and looked over it was at the bottom of the creek, in the water upside down with just barely the front tire sticking above the water. My buddy was rolling on the ground laughing. It was funny, but not very funny at the time. the handle bars were buried in the mud at the bottom of the creek which is why it was setting that way in the water. Once we got it out, No damage, but of course it wouldn't turn over so I had to push it along ways down the creek and back to the highway. This was before either of us had a drivers license so when we got to the road it was another mile or so of pushing back to my house. Those were the days!! :-D

Andrew
04-17-2003, 03:21 PM
ahh,the good ol days,i miss em (