PDA

View Full Version : Testing Quiz : 1985 Honda ATC110 .......

Howdy
04-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I have this 1985 110 I bought on Ebay may of last year. It didn't run when we got it.
A little History on it:
The guy before me rebuilt the top end and the Carb. Everything was adjusted to according to the Cylmers manual ( I even double checked everything ). He couldn't get it running very easy ( 10 + pulls on the starter ) and when it did run it would idle fine, but when you gave it gas it would die unless you had the choke on.
So he sold it to me.

11 Months later I just got around to really working on this machine. First thing I did was to fix the guys jury rigged CDI base. He had broken a tab off of it and messed up the seal. So I replaced the base and set the timing ( he had the timing off anyway ). When I put everything back together it would now start on the first or second pull everytime. How ever when you went to give it gas to go ride it the motor would die. It acted like it ran out of gas. I knew right away what to check for. I was 100% correct in my quest to find the problem. I fixed the item in about 20 minutes and now it runs like the wind.

What was the problem?

Yamaha_Rules69
04-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Was it the spark plug?

wanta250r
04-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Was it a dirty gas tank, fuel filter or line. )

Instinctz
04-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Was it some setting on the neddle clip? Or basicly other jet cluged issues?

I figured it has to be something that requires you to take it apart, since it is 20 minutes (about the time it takes me to do carb stuff).

Howdy
04-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Nope not the spark plug it has a new one in it.

Not the fuel flow or dirt. The carb was rebuilt and adjusted according to the book.

Any other guesses?

Howdy

Instinctz
04-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Rat stuck in the exaust? Dirty Air filter? Rat in the air filter? Dirty Rat?

Howdy
04-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Nope the exhaust is real clean. Very smooth flow through it.

Good guess though.
Howdy

Instinctz
04-14-2003, 08:36 PM
K.. so it runs fine with choke on. Its not the carb, not the filter, err, not the intake.... :rolleyes:

aint it always easer when your their? :evil:

uhh another guess... is just dirty fuel.. but doubt that... how about, the answer! :twisted:

bigred110
04-14-2003, 09:20 PM
It's not the spark plug (they always go out on mine 110), was the gas valve turned on, was the air filter dirty, the air screw might of been off or the idle screw, the head nuts might of came lose, the spark advance might of been off, the cam might of been off, and thats is all that I can think of.

350xing
04-14-2003, 09:42 PM
leak in the intake manifold

Howdy
04-14-2003, 10:08 PM
uhh another guess... is just dirty fuel.. but doubt that... how about, the answer! :twisted:

Nope it's not dirty fuel. Not the intake. No body mentioned a dirty air filter. But that isn't it either. lol

What was it? I will give out the answer tomorrow. lol

Howdy

hrc200x
04-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Float level off?

Instinctz
04-14-2003, 11:24 PM
howdy, lol maybe ya didnt read my post before....

Rat stuck in the exaust? Dirty Air filter? Rat in the air filter? Dirty Rat?

Uhh was it.. somethin with when the dude put the rings/piston back on.. I wouldnt think it would be miss torqed head or something cause that would make for some idling fits I would think (air leak).. but im outta idea's.. I'd have it tore to the bearings before I found out what is wrong.. anyways that is what seems to happen to me.. sigh, :oops:

Instinctz
04-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Electrical failure, like grounding out so that it isnt being able to supply teh powa?

Must have answer! :?

84250r
04-14-2003, 11:31 PM
On and off switch messed up? off ment on,on ment off?? heh.

wanta250r
04-15-2003, 01:02 AM
were the valves not adjusted properly. Was the timing set correctly? Weak spark?

Howdy
04-15-2003, 08:36 AM
were the valves not adjusted properly. Was the timing set correctly? Weak spark?
Nope to everything there. I double checked everything before I even fired it up. The spark is very strong.

On and off switch messed up? off ment on,on ment off?? heh.
I can eliminate this because it has very strong spark.

Electrical failure, like grounding out so that it isnt being able to supply teh powa?

Must have answer! :?

Once again Nope.

Here is the correct answer and why:

The DUCT, AIR CLEANER ( Our local dealer and I call it a snoggle tube ) was disconnected from the rubber boot inside the frame.

What it does: The snoggle tube works to restrict the air flow thus sucking more fuel into the motor. If the snoggle tube get's disconnected or damaged ( hole, crack, ect ) then it won't restrict the air flow properly. The motor will run very lean at higher speeds. This can lead to many problems including the motor acting like it wants to die.
The thing that throws you is even with the tube disconnected the motor will idle good. The reason for that is the motor don't have that much air flow at motor idle speeds so the fuel mixture is good enough to run. Though it will still be a little lean.

To compensate for a disconnected tube you have to run with the choke on so it will suck in a richer fuel mixture as needed.

I don't know for sure why Honda used a carb like this.
My theory is: Restricting the air flow would cut the power a little on the motor. With the younger kids on these machines they didn't want them to have too much power ( for kids ) and this would help stop them from getting hurt as much.

FYI, From trial and error I found you can change the carb and disconnect the snoggle tube and gain a little power.

Now for a Test: If any of you have a stock Late model 110 take and remove the air box lid and ride it around. You should have to run with the choke on to get it to run fair.
The reason I say to remove the air box lid is that it is about the same as the snoggle tube being damaged, disconnected and such. Also it's a lot easier to remove the lid than disconnect the tube.

Someone please try the test and reply back with what happened.
Thanks
Howdy

P.S. Here is a picture of the air cleaner system and the tube ( 15 ) and the rubber boot ( 9 ) is circled.

FullBore
04-15-2003, 09:06 AM
Wow, i didn't realise that tube was supposed to restict it, mine had holes in the tube when I got it, so I taped it up! It runs well and on the right mixture, I'd never have guessed that tube to be the prob! Its a very annoying thing to remove and replace with the motor in the frame! :x

Nat

Howdy
04-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Wow, i didn't realise that tube was supposed to restict it, mine had holes in the tube when I got it, so I taped it up! It runs well and on the right mixture, I'd never have guessed that tube to be the prob! Its a very annoying thing to remove and replace with the motor in the frame! :x

Nat

Yea, I am 99% sure the tube was the problem when the guy rebuilt the motor. Basically he spent $75 to $100 in parts when all he needed was to connect a tube. Ouch!!

It is hard to believe a simple little tube can cause such head ackes.
Howdy

bigred110
04-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Did the 79 come with them. I'm planning on putting my 79 back together this weekend and it doesn't have one. If so how much are they from the honda dealership.

jenndnn3
04-15-2003, 08:41 PM
No I dont think the 79 have em, at least mine doesnt either. And after looking at that schematic I must say, boy am I happy it dont..That is the most complicated lookin airbox I have ever seen!! :o

Howdy
04-15-2003, 08:53 PM
The 79's had a little elbow style tube. I don't know if it restricted much or not. I should have one or 2.

No I dont think the 79 have em, at least mine doesnt either. And after looking at that schematic I must say, boy am I happy it dont..That is the most complicated lookin airbox I have ever seen!! :o

It looks more complicated than it is. lol
I like the late models better than the older ones.
Howdy

ATCkrazy
04-16-2003, 04:54 PM
i had an 84 110 for a short wile, ran fine and it didnt have any airbox, the carb had nothing connected to it, ran good though.

FullBore
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
I'd like to give my 110 a new air filter, does K&N make one to fit? will i have to do anything else to the bike when its fitted, it does make its plugs a bit sooty and the air screw is set 1 turn out, I rode it for 9 hours virtually non stop yesterday, virtually flat out all the time across fields, we use just under a gallon of gas and no oil :-D i should think so too after a rebore!
My arms and back are sick today! but it was worth it! she was flying!
I got paid about $45 for the privilage too!

Nat

Howdy
04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Did the 79 come with them. I'm planning on putting my 79 back together this weekend and it doesn't have one. If so how much are they from the honda dealership.

They just have a short elbow style tube. I wished I had a picture of one.
Howdy

Chemical442
04-22-2003, 12:24 PM

They just have a short elbow style tube. I wished I had a picture of one.
Howdy

For those who don't know, it's the part below the tank on the left.

http://home.grics.net/~goudie/atc110/images/017_jpg.jpg

bigred110
04-23-2003, 04:51 PM
My 84 has that tube. If I jet carb bigger can I take that pipe out.

Howdy
04-23-2003, 07:36 PM
My 84 has that tube. If I jet carb bigger can I take that pipe out.

Possibly. I'm not sure because I never tried it.
Howdy

bigred110
05-06-2003, 09:32 PM
I found out why the 79-83 don't have them. They jetted the carb bigger. Now I got to found out what size of jet i got in mine 84 now. :evil:

Main jet:
79-85
84-82