PDA

View Full Version : Bidders backing out

Macs
12-02-2006, 02:12 PM
My auction has just ended. The guy who had the highest bid emailed me right before the end of the auction and said that he could not afford this item and he should not have bidded on it, he ask me to remove his bid ( which was just a couple of dollars over the next higher bidder ) so i went ahead and removed it. Now i dont think hat was the right thing to do. i mean i respect the guys honesty but he should have gave more notice. But the guy that ended up winning he might have went and bought something else by now. so what i think i am going to do is tell the new high bidder that if he dont want it thats fine and relist it. does that sound fair to yall?

whyzee
12-02-2006, 02:24 PM
My auction has just ended. The guy who had the highest bid emailed me right before the end of the auction and said that he could not afford this item and he should not have bidded on it, he ask me to remove his bid ( which was just a couple of dollars over the next higher bidder ) so i went ahead and removed it. Now i dont think hat was the right thing to do. i mean i respect the guys honesty but he should have gave more notice. But the guy that ended up winning he might have went and bought something else by now. so what i think i am going to do is tell the new high bidder that if he dont want it thats fine and relist it. does that sound fair to yall?

I think that is the right thing to do. What was your auction..link?

XTrumpX
12-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Too many people think it's a game when they're bidding. I've been on ebay since '97 and have come across all kinds of J-offs. That's why ebay gives you 12 hours before auction ends to retract your bid. When did he bid on the item? If it was within the last 12 hours, then he's jerking around. I personally would leave feedback saying he bid knowing he had no intentions of purchasing.

Howdy
12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Too many people think it's a game when they're bidding. I've been on ebay since '97 and have come across all kinds of J-offs. That's why ebay gives you 12 hours before auction ends to retract your bid. When did he bid on the item? If it was within the last 12 hours, then he's jerking around. I personally would leave feedback saying he bid knowing he had no intentions of purchasing.

You can't leave feedback for someone if you have cancelled his bids before the auction end.

Howdy

XTrumpX
12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Well, I didn't think I had to state that I would have never cancelled his bid. Would have been much easier to get your fees back. Being on ebay for almost 10 years, I think I know all the rules on both sides of the coin.

Macs
12-02-2006, 04:45 PM
i talked t the guy the ended up being the high bidder after default. he was very excited. He said he was trying to get to a computer to bid again but was unable to. the whole ordeal cost me $10. That is less then relisting fee's so i am very happy. I would have rather done it this way than not letting the guy back out and then waiting for days for him to come up with the money then having to relist it anyway. I am glad he came to me and explained his situation besides just stiffing me.

okiedragster
12-02-2006, 07:19 PM
i had this same thing happen to me once, and the guy let the auction run out and contacted me.(the next highest bidder )and told me i had won and if i still wanted the item (which i did) and gave the highest bidder the negative feedback . which was cool with me but i didnt get and feedback for my buy which was ok with me i still got the item...

Maico
12-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Well, I didn't think I had to state that I would have never cancelled his bid. Would have been much easier to get your fees back. Being on ebay for almost 10 years, I think I know all the rules on both sides of the coin.

He did the right thing. The guy admitted he couldn't afford it. Better than letting it go full auction and trying to get blood out of a rock. I would just make a note of the backed out bidder and cancel any future bids on future auctions early on.