PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever worked overseas?>Just found out its Africa.

BIGKAHUNA
04-14-2003, 10:23 PM
I have the oppurtunity to go to work in the middle east, specifically Kuwait (for an american company), and was wondering if anyone else has worked in the region or worked overseas at all? I have heard (from unreliable sources) that if you work overseas for more than a year your money is tax free...Anybody got any particulars on this? Anybody worked in the middle east? I faxed my resume today and have been told that I have a good shot at landing the job but it is far from written in stone. Any information is, as always greatly appreciated.

ITS DJIBOUTI AFRICA....leaving May 5.

sandrooster
04-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Kahuna,
Earnings are tax free on those jobs to around 80k. Ya gotta pay after that.

Who are you going to work for? B&R? One of the private security firms?

Good luck.

BIGKAHUNA
04-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the response....It's Halliburton\ B&R

200x Basket
04-16-2003, 07:50 PM
i had the chance and it is big money. it will be hard hot work and that place is different then here. if you are single i would say give it a shot. most tours are 3-6 months.

LaDano
04-25-2003, 01:08 AM
I have a friend that is a supervisor on a offshore production platform, been working overseas for 20plus yrs. When I was going to Africa about 6yrs ago he told me to deposit no more than 9,000 in an American account at a time IRS sees no red flags. Also It depends on the contract you sign before you go about how long of a stay before going tax free. Haliburton is the largest world wide company as far as oil field related jobs so you can probably be safe. Also when traveling (airports, hotels.etc) DO NOT let them see any jewelery are any thing on you that gaurds might want. You do not fight back just give it to them they are the law and they will take something if they want it. CYA

BIGKAHUNA
04-26-2003, 05:41 PM
They offered me Djibouti Africa.....I took it...looks like its gonna be a long hot summer.

Dirtcrasher
04-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey man do rights right for you, lots of people regret passing on opportunities.
But what about that awesome machine your building??!!!! I know you've worked hard on that - were all looking forward to the finished product.

Good luck whatever you do.

BIGKAHUNA
04-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Many thanks dirtcrasher.....alls I can say is this....when I get home from my first hitch....my parts selection will be much broader due to my expanded project budget LOL !! All kiddin aside..I think my R is gonna be a nice bike, much better than my first. If I ever decide to get rid of the R project this board will have first dibs. The job...wow..I submitted my resume last week and called the contact person that was given to me and a day later I get a call with an offer to work in Africa...I got the call thursday and they wanted me to leave monday but I have some affairs to get in order so I leave the 5th......100-120 degrees everyday, snakes, flys etc. I will be issued NBC gear (nuclear, biological & chemical) and if if I die due to this I had to agree to be cremated as they will not return a contaminated body (YIKES!) Will be tough there is no doubt about it but the money is good...if it works out after I do my year in Africa I am going to try and get on in a different theatre...possibly the middle east where I have some family working. If I have internet access I'll definitly keep you guys posted on my adventures but...I dont think I will have it.

jagcrue1
04-26-2003, 10:42 PM
You need do do whatever makes you happy. Myself, I wouldn't move to africa or the middleast if they offered me 500,000 a year. Those places are like the armpit of the world. The good ole USA has all I need and I say screw those people who talk down about us.

LaDano
04-27-2003, 03:37 AM
Good luck kahuna I was going to the west coast in Africa But hired on with union pacific instead. I do regret it but it all works out in the end. Hell I live In Baton Rouge so if you let that r go let me know.

yyz4208@aol.com
04-30-2003, 12:40 AM
HOW DID YOU HAPPEN TO FIND OUT ABOUT THEASE TYPE OF JOBS?