PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z shock options and interchanges

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
ATC gents!!! I have an 85 TriZ.... SWEET!!! jsut finnished the restoration and it ROCKS!!!! My question is, do you know if its really possible to put a 2001 raptor mono shock on an 85 Triz? My shock is shot :( any help would be nice!

3 wheels baby!

SYKO
12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
:welcome: glad you found us!!! post some pics!!! sorry cant help you with tr1-z stuff, but hang out you will get bombarded soon enought!!!:TrikesOwn

oldsking86
12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
:welcome: Nice choice in bikes definetly need some pics.. as for the shock im not to sure that it would, might need some custom fabbing; anything is possible but for simplicity I'm not sure. Like said above just hang loose and you'll get your answer before the day is done :lol:

Billy Golightly
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I've never ran one but from what I've heard and seen the Raptor shock fits but it makes the ride height taller. I'm running a works from a warrior, and it even makes the ride height a little bit taller, but it works good.

BigGreenMachine
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Raptor, Banshee and Warrior fits but doesn't the gas tank need to be moved/changed a little?

I have an 01 Raptor shock in my 85 T3 and its great.

Kintore
12-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Warrior shock bolts in no problems. 01 rappy shock works too, but increases ride height.

If I were you, I would scope ebay and wait for a works warrior shock. I got a BIN for 50 bucks on my works and I LOVE it!

T3 LOPES
12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
just what kintore said. worrior shock, bolts right in.

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I will put some photos on in a few.... I guess I need to look for an warrior shock on ebay!?

TriZ forever!!!!! Not to boot I'm the original owner of my 85! :beer

TimSr
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I ran a Raptor one for one race. Rides nice but way too high, and sticks for cornering. I took it back off. The stock Warrior fits almost as well as the original. They perform excellent, and arent very expensive. The downfall is like other Yammie shocks, they have a lifespan of a couple years. The Works for Warrior raises it a little, but works well. Im running a Works on mine. I have a blown Warrior shock on my other one. The Banshee shock has a piggy back resvoir that gets in the way, big time. Ive heard you can move the gas tank, but Id have to see it to believe it, because it sure doesnt look practical, especially on the 85, and a Banshee shock sure isnt anything worth doing any fab work for.

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the info! I will definatly look for a warrior rear! I wonder if a lowering kit will work for the raptor shock..... hummmmm maybe:D

BigGreenMachine
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Tim, you say Yamaha shocks have a lifespan of only a couple years. Isn't this true with all shocks? Are you talking life before needing a rebuild or to the extent where the shock is no longer usable?

I could pick your brain for weeks! lol

TimSr
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
When it comes to Yamaha, Im talking about before the seals go, the oil leaks out, and you have a pogo stick for suspension. Its not true of all shocks. Yamaha is probably the worst of all the Jap stuff. Its not unusual to see perfectly good 15 year old Honda shocks still being used, but fiding a TriZ that actually has TriZ shock is exteremly rare, and if it does have one, its been rebuilt, and probably more than once. Yamaha shocks perform as well as the Honda shocks, but 5 years later, your Honda shock still works.

By the way, a Quadsport shock fits too, but it slightly shorter and lowers the rear, but you also get less travel from one.

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Well my 85 rear shock worked GREAT till I took it apart and had the spring powdercoated :( and nobody will do a rebuild on it so thats why Im looking for a replacement!

FYI I'm the original owner of my 85 TRIZ :))

TimSr
12-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Well my 85 rear shock worked GREAT till I took it apart and had the spring powdercoated :( and nobody will do a rebuild on it so thats why Im looking for a replacement!

FYI I'm the original owner of my 85 TRIZ :))

If it will make you feel better, Im pretty sure your nice pretty spring will fit on a Warrior shock!

BigGreenMachine
12-11-2006, 08:39 PM
mnnmaz, you need to post up some pics of your one owner Z.

Thanks Tim.

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats too funny! like I said its a full restoration and after 21 years of abuse (original owner) it was time for a make over... I need to post some picts... its SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT now!!!!!!!!!!!!

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 08:48 PM
YES YES I do! Im at work now and dont have any with me.... hehehehehehe I will bring some tomorrow!

Ryah
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
I had "Suspension by Jake" rebuild mine for $150.00. Makes all the difference in the world.

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
WOW when did you do that and where are they located and I see you have a 38mm carb with a delta Vforce... I need that! where can I get them? I have looked all over for the vforce and NOBODY sell them for the original carb for a 1985 triz so maybe if you let me know what kind of carb and where you got one the I can too.... :) :0)

03 ORANGE SHEE
12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
a 2001 only will work, to lower the ride height back to stock tri-z, use the tri-z spring in place on the craptor one. yes, i have done this

03 ORANGE SHEE
12-11-2006, 10:49 PM
v-force for the tri-z. part #v25141-z... fits 91-97 wr250z, there you go!

mnnmaz
12-12-2006, 10:20 AM
is the vforce woth it? or is Boysen reeds good enough? I see there kind of steep!!!!!!;)

OldSchoolin86
12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
The Banshee shock has a piggy back resvoir that gets in the way, big time. Ive heard you can move the gas tank, but Id have to see it to believe it, because it sure doesnt look practical, especially on the 85, and a Banshee shock sure isnt anything worth doing any fab work for.Still haven't learned yet after the wealth of knowledge AND pics I've passed on here??? LMAO

It doesn't get in the way "big time" and if you have a heat gun you don't even have to move the tank. But yes, if you want bolt in, not worried about stepping up a notch in performance and don't want to do 30 min of fab work then the warrior shock is the way to go.

Mosh
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Tim, you say Yamaha shocks have a lifespan of only a couple years. Isn't this true with all shocks? Are you talking life before needing a rebuild or to the extent where the shock is no longer usable?

I could pick your brain for weeks! lolI have seen very clean well maintained banshees be running great and within 3 hours,bamm no rear shock.you can tap the rear grab bar and watch the bike bounce for like 30 seconds.no warning or nothing.they just let loose.the steel shaft on the banshee shock is very soft and starts to (hourglass) by a few thousandths.once that happens,you can rebuild them,but unless you replace the center shaft,the new seals will let loose in a matter of a year.by the time you replace the center shaft and rebuild a stock banshee shock,you can almost buy a works shock for the same money and get more performance that last longer.same with warrior shocks.

mnnmaz
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Cool thanks! Do you know if its worth the money for a Vforce reed cage? I have boyseen fiber now and woswondering if I need to try something new

Mosh
12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Still haven't learned yet after the wealth of knowledge AND pics I've passed on here??? LMAO

It doesn't get in the way "big time" and if you have a heat gun you don't even have to move the tank. But yes, if you want bolt in, not worried about stepping up a notch in performance and don't want to do 30 min of fab work then the warrior shock is the way to go.To do this Banshee to Tri-z shock mod, you have to shim the gas tank back, towards the seat mount? And then heat the tank and gently reform the plastic to clear the Banshee ressy,And get rid of the steel gas tank guard? Am I correct??Just curious.I thought that is how you explained this before.Correct me if I am wrong.:wondering How much clearence will that fabbing get you between the ressy and gas tank?

mnnmaz
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Cool thanks! Do you know if its worth the money for a Vforce reed cage? I have boyseen fiber now and was wondering if I need to try something new

Mosh
12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I personally have no experience with the v-force reeds on a tri-z.I just run boyesons on a stock cage.

Ryah
12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
The Vforce reed took the light switch powerband away. I didn't lose anything on top just gained my mid and a little bottom end back. This was setting the reeds to the lower powerband setting. I never tried the top end setting.

mnnmaz
01-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Here is a couple of pics of my Z after the complete overhaul... and yes I am the original owner :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

mnnmaz
01-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Oops forget to add the picts..... :lol: here they are...

Here is a couple of pics of my Z after the complete overhaul... and yes I am the original owner :naughty: :naughty:

Tri-Z 700
03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm running a stock '01 Raptor 660 shock, a '86 Tri-Z swingarm, a '85 Tri-Z dogbone (shock linkage), and a '87 Warrior shackle. I'm not sure if you can use an '85 swingarm for this setup, and you have to use an '85 dogbone for everything to clear. The '01 Raptor shock has the remote rezzy that works fine, but the later model Raptors have the side mounted piggyback rezzy that I'm not sure if there is enough clearance for. The '86 swingarm appears to have more clearance in the front than the '85, and the '85 dogbone kicks the bottom of the shock more to the rear than the '86. The Warrior shackle is longer to lower the ride height back down from the longer Raptor shock.

This setup works great and keeps the ride height stock.

You can also use the Warrior shackle on a stock Tri-Z for a rear lowering kit.

KRASH1333
08-18-2010, 02:53 AM
try a shock off a newer warrior

zmpolaristech
08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
try a shock off a newer warrior

newer warriors (raptor 350) have a piggyback resy like a raptor, but not adjustable.

Sevo
03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Would a 1995 warrior 350 shock work for my Tri-z?

Bryan Raffa
03-17-2011, 07:35 AM
NO,,, 95 is piggy back.. you need the older style with the remote reservoir

Mosh
03-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Actually, all Warriors from 87-2004 had a remote ressy on the rear shock and were not piggyback. So yes..a 1995 Warrior shock will bolt on if it is the factory shock.
Someone prolly had a aftermarket or different shock on the 95 Raffa is thinking of.

Richieyzf
04-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Just wondering as anyone tried to run an MX bike shock on the rear of their Tri Z or would it be too long? Only asking as I'm struggling to get a 2001 raptor shock here in the UK

MTS
04-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Most modern bikes run a very long shock 18-19 " eye to eye , you need 13.5" to keep it stock, axis/ penske racing custom shocks will build you one, they work great.

Richieyzf
04-12-2014, 12:21 PM
I only asked as I saw an 84 YZ125 shock for sale on eBay here in the UK and it looked pretty similar to the Tri Z one? Thanks for the reply MTS

Motorious
01-21-2015, 01:42 AM
I would like to rebuild my Tri-z 250 shock, have an experienced dirtbike mechanic with access to a shop w/nitrogen tank willing to show me how it's done. Can't seem to locate a rebuild kit however. I do know All Balls makes a rear shock seal kit for the warrior shock though. And a lot of parts are interchangeable between these two shocks. Does anyone know where I can get the parts necessary to rebuild my shock? And/or would the All Balls kit do the job? http://www.allballsracing.com/37-1118.html