PDA

View Full Version : Our first drounding of the fishing season

russell56443
12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Every year up here in my neck of the woods guys needlessly die trying to be the first ones out on the ice,it just makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This time a 21 yr old guy went through on his ATV and dround/hypothermia,his buddy that was riding with him on another ATV did too but he was able to get out.
I love to fish as much as the next guy but damn,wait until the lake freezes solid before you go out there!!!!!!!
What a horrible thing to happen to the guy,his friends and family ect... because he didnt want to wait another week or two????

firehart
12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
When my dad used to go ice fishing he would do it while he was sitting in his fishing boat. He would push his little boat out on the lake and then sit in it.

traxxasx
12-11-2006, 04:32 PM
When my dad used to go ice fishing he would do it while he was sitting in his fishing boat. He would push his little boat out on the lake and then sit in it.

you know how funny that sounds, i can picture it but thats a good idea. When that ice breaks bam your floating keep on fishin!!!

Banage
12-11-2006, 05:08 PM
I took the sled out on the lake with a 4 wheeler and another sled. the key is knowing ant testing the ice before you go out there. simple, but time consuming easy steps can save your life. Please know your ice, wilk out 100 feet and drill a hole if you need to.

firehart
12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
It does not get as cold out here in Idaho so it never really freezes very thick.

Pete
12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
yea I heard about that on the news last night. I never really trust the ice until the end of January.

daputz
12-11-2006, 09:19 PM
A local county requires machines to have floatation devices. Pics from their site (not my machines:lol: )

http://www.danesheriff.com/images/atv3.gif

http://www.danesheriff.com/images/snowmb.gif

3 weelin geezer
12-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Thats not a bad idea to be able to recover your machine either. If I think the hose water is cold I can imagine getting dipped all of a sudden. Brrrr!! That just does NOT appeal to me.

scooterroo
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
damn, way to early for my butt to be going out on the lakes yet. definately hasnt been cold enough yet. here it is december 11th and we have 45 degree weather here in upstate ny, what little ice we did have, will be melted by the end of the week. me and digityx usually wait till the middle or end of feburary before we hit the lakes, and even then we are careful to know what we are getting into. last year the lake barely froze long enough to ride on, but wwe got a couple of nice days in. lake george didnt even freeze and they had to cancel the annual winter carnival. with out ice there was no sence having it seeing is how most of the events are out on the ice. races, ice drags, etc... got my fingers crossed for a better year this year, but only mother nature knows if shes going to cooperate. i usually wait till we have a good two weeks of below freezing weather, then watch to see how many ice shanties are on the ice, and what other bikes and sleds are on the ice. remember guys, the darker the ice, the thinnner it is, the whiter the better. unsure of the thickness? then drill some damn holes and check the depth for god sake, dont be stupid and go where your unsure of.

Meat-BoX
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Yea we get fools here that go outy in the spring and when they try to come in they find out they are floating on an island of ice. Then the helicoptors and Fan Boats have to go out and rescue a few people. If your machine goes through and you live your better off just forgetting about it. Its like allmost a $3,000 fine/recovery. Ive been through the ice and I never want to see that Blackness again. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I wont go out unless theres a foot of ice on the lakes. Im thinking I might not get on the ice again this year. For the last few years its been too warm. Im jonsin to do some ice racing though. We shall see.