PDA

View Full Version : hot water heater

longbedGTs
12-12-2006, 10:11 AM
How long would it take for a 39 gallon water heater to heat up? I had to drain it to repair a leak, and just got it back together a couple hours ago. I flipped the power back on, and after 2 hours, the water is still cold. Any guesses on how long? I thought it should atleast be noticable after 2 hours...

ATCWRENCH
12-12-2006, 11:47 AM
it should take no longer than about an hour to heat up a 40 gallon tank.

I have to ask, did ya re-light the pilot light?

longbedGTs
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Ok, then the heating element is toast. Its an electric unit. While I was repairing the leak, some water must have sloshed arond and hit the red hot heating element cooling it off instantly, resulting in its demise. After I heard the water slosh around, I smelled it buring itself out. The power was off but I guess I should have waited for the element to cool off.
That is my theory anyways.
Its been since 7:30 am and is now 11:30...and the water is still freezing cold. What an interesting shower that was. :eek:
Im headed to Ace hardware to pickup a new element. I hope they have one. Its a Rheem unit.
Thanks bro!

firehart
12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Just make sure the water heater is all the way full before you turn on the power.

longbedGTs
12-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok, I got a new heating element and installed it. The old one was just 2 barbs about 1 inch long! Yup, the water theory is definately what happened. That smell I guess was the thermostatic-switch-type-thing that acts as the power board. I guess its toast because the new heating element wasnt getting any power. I have a cut off electrical cord going straight to it until I can get a new thermostatic-switch-type-thing. :)
Thanks for the advice!