PDA

View Full Version : eBay purchase-wasnt as described, but not too bad

longbedGTs
12-14-2006, 04:54 PM
So, I just got the 125M fenders and seat from an eBay purchase. The item is not as described int he auction. Now, its not too bad, but definately not how they described it. Click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130055232532&rd=1,1) for the auction.
Notice they say 'MINT'. Now, the seat is in very good shape. Going out on a limb, Id say it is MINT except for the rusty seat pan....which isnt that bad either. The fenders, OTOH, are not Mint. There are scratches on the tops, and there are 3 cracks where the seat would rest. Im sure all the cracks will be hidden by the seat. The rear mudflaps also have a couple 'kinda deep' scratches.
Other than what I mentioned above, the item is MINT. :lol:
So Im trying to figure out what feedback to leave. The shipping was timely and I got a UPS tracking number. Packaging left a little to be desired, and the items were DIRTY. They could have atleast wiped off all the greasy dirt with a rag. :rolleyes:
Sounds like a neutral, huh?

DeePa
12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
for 40 bucks and that, id leave a positive

mike

TimSr
12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
The first thing you do is contact the seller. It is dirty to leave neutral or negative feedback without giving the seller a chance to correct an honest error, and he obviously was not intentionally trying to rip you off. "Mint" is often misused, and overused, and it probably was not a wise choice in wording on his part,( I NEVER use that word in a description) but for what you got, and what you paid for it, I think your being awful knit-picky. He was not trying to defraud you, and was not trying to misrepresent the item, and deserves a positive for providing prompt honest service.

XTrumpX
12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Neutral feedback is not dirty at all. It just says that it was an 'ok' transaction. You don't need to explain in the feedback why you left only a neutral. I've been on ebay since '97 and have been through every kind of deal you can imagine.

If you're unhappy with it, I would be happy to take it off your hands since I do need one.

longbedGTs
12-14-2006, 05:45 PM
The first thing you do is contact the seller. It is dirty to leave neutral or negative feedback without giving the seller a chance to correct an honest error, and he obviously was not intentionally trying to rip you off. "Mint" is often misused, and overused, and it probably was not a wise choice in wording on his part,( I NEVER use that word in a description) but for what you got, and what you paid for it, I think your being awful knit-picky. He was not trying to defraud you, and was not trying to misrepresent the item, and deserves a positive for providing prompt honest service.

Im in total agreememnt with that!
With what was on the trike before, this is a BIG improvement.
However, the items description was very misleading. He could have said 'has a few scratches but nothing major'. That would have been 100% correct.
Yeah, I know...you get what you pay for...
Though the plastic needs the sand paper restoration, its still a good deal...especially with the seat being in as good of shape as it is. I looked it over more closely, and saw 2 edges that were rubbed and wore down to the metal seat pan. Now, the rear mud flaps, I feel, are not salvagable.
They both have little pit marks all over them. Imagine youre grinding with an angle grinder and all the little hot metal chunks that would land on plastic...
Anyway, Im going to give him a positive, but will mention that it wasnt 'MINT' as described, but still a good deal, fast shipping...

Teeksoffroad
12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't leave that guy feedback. He doesn't always leave it for his buyers. You are the buyer so the seller should leave feedback first.

longbedGTs
12-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Not to sound rude, but the way I see it, the buyer should be the first to leave feedback. The transaction is completed once the buyer recieves their item, IMO. When I sell things, I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback, then I do the same.
Anywho, I left him feedback so its a done deal. Thanks for all the thoughts guys! :beer

dreadhed
12-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I all ways wait for the buyer to leave feedback first. Also if I am the buyer I will leave feedback first. The buyer could try to screw you after they get the item, that is why I wait for the buyer to leave feedback.

I would not have been happy if I was you. If it said mint it should be been like new no matter what you paid.

TimSr
12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
I still go back to "contact the seller". If you are not happy with an item, or even a little disappointed, let him know, and see what he says. Often times a seller will refund a few bucks, or cut you some other break to make it right, provided you dont act like a jerk about it. I can honestly say Ive never refunded a dime to someone AFTER they left me negative, but Ive given partial refunds, or even full refunds for something brought to my attention that I might have missed when writing the ad.

I also stand by my statement that it is dirty to leave a negative or neutral feedback without first contacting the seller and giving him a chance to resolve it. Neutral is not viewed as an "okay deal" by most people. Most people see it as "Im not happy, but Im not going to say anything".

Orangecnty250r
12-14-2006, 10:26 PM
It is always buyer beware and alot of times you take a gamble on the exact condition of an item. I think you got a decent deal and I think your feedback was very appropriate. It may make him think about using that word again.

okiedragster
12-14-2006, 10:50 PM
i did the same thing i bought a rear 110 set on ebay and i even mailed the guy and asked if they had any cracks and what kinda shape they was in and he mailed me back and said they didnt have any cracks at all and was in great shape...well they had cracks under the seat and you really couldnt tell by the pic but just above the atc on the flap there is a crack. it wasnt like he couldnt see it or it was hidden. i just didnt leave any feedback...but hey i didnt have a fender at all so they was alot better than i had...lol heres the link to item.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F27003632172 5_W0QQfromZR40_W0QQfviZ1&item=270036321725&rd=1

Teeksoffroad
12-15-2006, 07:48 AM
That's wrong. Think about it. If you pay fast you have upheld your end of the bargain so the seller should leave it right away. Regardless of what happens on the other end, you paid fast so you deserve feedback. If you leave him feedback first he's going to leave yours saying " fast payment " . Well, it was fast whether you left feedback first or 2nd. If he ships it out timely and as described then he deserves good feedback. I get in an argument all the time with sellers about this.

Orangecnty250r
12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I personally dont believe that when the seller receives instant payment that the buyer deserves immediate positve feedback ....the transaction is not completed. I have had several people pay and then turn around and say they didnt get it....tracking shows its at their address. They try to scam the system...An item paid doesnt mean a good buyer. I just think the way someone conducts themselves through the ENTIRE transaction including conflict resolution, communications, etc is what the feedback system was designed for....Not just the Black and White....

Also I get emails from people saying "I left you feedback could you please leave me mine"...or " I hope you plan on leaving me feedback"!!! I truly go into my feedback forum every 4-6 weeks and do it at all once. I have enough time constraints in my life so I dont need the ebay Gods telling me I have to leave feedback in certain time intervals.

Squirrel Master
12-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Neutral feedback is not dirty at all. It just says that it was an 'ok' transaction. You don't need to explain in the feedback why you left only a neutral. I've been on ebay since '97 and have been through every kind of deal you can imagine.

If you're unhappy with it, I would be happy to take it off your hands since I do need one.

You can call neutral feedback what you will, but in my opinion leaving a neutral feedback first is just asking for a negative. Give the seller a chance to make it right or at least explain to him your situation, then leave feedback accordingly. I think $40 is a smokin' deal on that part, I think I'd leave a positive and let it slide!:beer

Orangecnty250r
12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
You can call neutral feedback what you will, but in my opinion leaving a neutral feedback first is just asking for a negative. Give the seller a chance to make it right or at least explain to him your situation, then leave feedback accordingly. I think $40 is a smokin' deal on that part, I think I'd leave a positive and let it slide!:beer

I also beleive the person should have a chance at making it right. One other thought I had was yes 40.00 is a smoking deal but what if it was bid up to 200.00 because of the sweet picture and description of the thing as "Mint"......Ponder that.

longbedGTs
12-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I also beleive the person should have a chance at making it right. One other thought I had was yes 40.00 is a smoking deal but what if it was bid up to 200.00 because of the sweet picture and description of the thing as "Mint"......Ponder that.

The way I see it, I paid 61.00 for this item. I never bid on an auction without factoring in the shipping cost as well as the items cost. Then, I decide if its worth it, and go from there. I still think its a good deal. Would I do it again with the seller being more detailed as to the condition of the fenders? Yes.
Yeah, if I paid $200 for these(although Id never pay a 'new' price for a used part) and got them in the condition theyre in, we'd have a big problem.
That didnt happen, so theres no need to speculate. :beer

devildog_0431
12-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd say u got a steal for $40, leave a positive cuz u like trikes and so does he, lol. he meationed it had no scratches...I'd be a lil ticked over that but no biggy really, still a nice lookin fender, or if he just amoral waxed it in the pic to look mint ;)

x.system
12-15-2006, 10:46 PM
That's wrong. Think about it. If you pay fast you have upheld your end of the bargain so the seller should leave it right away. Regardless of what happens on the other end, you paid fast so you deserve feedback. If you leave him feedback first he's going to leave yours saying " fast payment " . Well, it was fast whether you left feedback first or 2nd. If he ships it out timely and as described then he deserves good feedback. I get in an argument all the time with sellers about this.

I agree, I mostly sell and my policy is that once the buyer does his part by paying he deserves feedback, that is his only responsibility as a buyer. Its the sellers responsibility to give full disclosure of the parts, package and ship in a timely manner. If your descriptions are accurate and honest you should have no problems.

When I'm the buyer, I expect feedback once payment is made, does it happen? not very often but when it does the parts are usually exactly as described and shipped fast.

I've had 1 person leave a negative in 4 years of selling so it works for me.

If you notice, most people who sell and have 100% positive feedback only leave feedback once it is left for them first.

Found this on ebay,

Completing the Sale

The listing has ended and your item has sold. Good communication with your customers and prompt shipping after the listing ends is crucial to your success as an eBay seller.

Once your item has sold you need to:

Contact your buyer.
Receive payment.
Ship the item.
Leave feedback (optional, but encouraged).
Pay seller eBay fees.
You can manage your selling activites using My eBay. For example, you can mark an item as paid and then shipped.

Contacting your buyer

Once your listing is over, you’ll need to contact your winning bidder or Buy It Now buyer. If you're using Checkout, some or all of the information will be automatically emailed to your buyer. If not, you'll need to email your buyer to exchange information. The buyer's email address will be provided in the email announcing the end of your listing.

Note: If you don't get an email response, you can request your buyer's contact information, including a phone number. Sometimes a phone call makes communication easier.

Obtain the buyer’s shipping address.

Inform the buyer:

Shipping cost
How you will ship the item to them
When to expect it and a shipping tracking number if you have it
Which payment options you accept
The total price
Tax (if applicable)
Receiving payment

Always verify payment before shipping items (including holding checks until they clear). If you accept PayPal payments, you receive payments immediately and don’t need to handle checks or money orders (see Selling with PayPal).
You can use eBay's Checkout system to make it easy for buyers to pay you immediately after your listing ends.
Shipping the item

After receiving payment, the faster you send the item, the more likely the buyer will be to give positive feedback and buy additional items from you.

Review which shipping options and shipping services fit your shipping needs, including irregular size packages and large packages.
Pack the item with enough cushioning to ensure that the item arrives undamaged (see Packaging Tips ) .
Ship with a tracking number and offer insurance. Email the tracking number to the buyer so they can track the item. This procedure can help resolve disputes if a buyer claims to have never received an item or to have received a broken item (see Shipping Concerns ).
Leaving feedback

Leaving feedback after your listing is over is an important part of participating in the eBay community. This is your chance to let other eBay members know what it was like to do business with your buyer.
The feedback system gives everyone an incentive to be honest, timely, and fair. And it helps both buyers and sellers make decisions about who to do business with.
You can leave feedback using My eBay, or leave feedback at eBay's Feedback Forum.
Paying eBay fees

You can make a payment or change your payment method at any time by going to the Seller Account section in My eBay.