PDA

View Full Version : NEW SCAM That shows as a question in your ebay messages

Orangecnty250r
12-16-2006, 07:34 AM
I am selling an 86 Z and was suspicious when I got this first one because of what he says about the last Price??

Hello,
my name is Michael Vernon. I am interested in your item. The problem is that I am a little confused because I've seen another item exactly like yours. Please take a look:

[url]http://3422784405/?www.ebay.com/UserId=&co_partnerId=2&siteid=0&pageType=-1&pa1=&i1=-1&UsingSSL=1&bshowgif=0&

Please inform me of your last price.

I go to my ebay and check if its in my messages and it is. Instead of clicking on the email link I type in the auction number and it comes up invalid. I respond through my ebay not the email.....I am thinking if you hit the respond button on the email they may get your password. Oh the person has good feedback as they are using an account to get go thru the ebay messaging.

Then comes this morning

Hello,
my name is Andy Snapp. I am interested in your item. The problem is that I am a little confused because I've seen another item exactly like yours. Please take a look:

[url]http://3354296932/?www.ebay.com/UserId=&co_partnerId=2&siteid=0&pageType=-1&pa1=&i1=-1&UsingSSL=1&bshowgif=

This confirms a new scam that is built on the fear of someone stealing your auction and goes thru the ebay messaging system. Always have to be on your toes

Orangecnty250r
12-16-2006, 07:37 AM
I deleted a part of each of their links because they showed up here as links and I didnt want anyone here to click on them :eek:

Maico
12-16-2006, 09:41 AM
I've gotten the same thing...but little do they know,I'm not selling anything nor have I ever. I strictly buy from my user I.D. It's usually a highjacked account that wants you to clink a link or the auction number. When you do...it prompts you for your user I.D. and password. Wham!! Now they got your info. That's how they highjack accounts.

vintagemotorsports
12-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I do the same thing I have a seperate email account for my ebay stuff to keep it seperate from the business, I get emails all the time on my business email about auctions i am selling and i dont even have an account on that email , the ebay stuff doesnt scare me that much because the most they can do is use your name to bid on an item or mess with auction , its the paypal account info that scares me i change my password all the time on that one
Mike

Squirrel Master
12-16-2006, 12:12 PM
I am selling an 86 Z and was suspicious when I got this first one because of what he says about the last Price??

Hello,
my name is Andy Snapp. I am interested in your item. The problem is that I am a little confused because I've seen another item exactly like yours. Please take a look:

This confirms a new scam that is built on the fear of someone stealing your auction and goes thru the ebay messaging system. Always have to be on your toes

I have recently seen this on too. It almost got me too is the sad part. (note to self: don't drink and make ebay decisions) The ebay toolbar said.....this is bullcrap, don't do it....or something likethat. That is when I realized it was a total scam. Keep on your toes people!

devildog_0431
12-16-2006, 02:33 PM
That's happened to me sort of. I got a question in my email about a trike I had for sale and another time I got a message from someone saying they would call the authorities if I didn't ship them the LapTop they bought from me, I never sold anyone a laptop....I searched their user ID and it came up invalid, i clicked their link and it prompted to enter my id and pass, I did it and it changed my password, I called ebay and got it fixed right quick....freakin scammers.

traxxasx
12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes its a scam. There using this same thing on myspace. What they do is use some simple html codes to change there listing, or on myspace there profile, to look exactly like the login page. So when you click it you on there fake listing, and it says put your password. Once you have there script write your information down and now they have your ebay account without you even knowing. Pretty smart to me but it go alot of people. But im myspace they wouldent steal your account and change your password there would just use your bulletins to spam there free ps3 ect. crap. Also you can tell i have man people want to buy my 3 wheeler when i listed it on craigslist. Well everytime i got a response it was always in the same format as in.

Hello, im Alan Dego im am ready to buy your "Yamaha 225dx tri moto for sale" and will proceed to pay with a western union money order. Please dont worry about shipping it to me in asia because i have that taken care of.

Then

Hello, im Jon ferson im am ready to buy your "yamaha 225dx tri moto for sale" and will procedd to pas with a western union money order. Please dont worry about shipping it to me in asia because i hae that taken car of.

Well they were all scams and i was seriously abou to go with on of them since some lady offerd me 500$ for my v3 razor, but then i though well if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. So i dident do it, and it was a scam!

87250es
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
lol well i got home from the suzuki shop (yes i bought a suzuki please do not kick me off of the forum) and i have 43 emails "ebay listing confirmied" and 5 "ebay item sold" emails... wth then there is a tko notice that my account has been frozen... i was going to bid on some very inportant items for my wife for christmas and gues what... yep you guesed it i could not...

now i am on plan b (but i do not know what plan b is yet"