PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Lent someone some $$$$.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2006, 08:04 PM
My boss has numerous brothers and sisters. I worked with his brother Mark for awhile and he listed to me *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* and whine when my fiance' and I broke up. I considered him a good friend. Then he quit and went back to doing his own thing - he has a pipefitters license, refrigeration license and a low voltage license. He always seems to get by and sometimes does very well. He has 5 kids, some young and some old. He also nearly died last year from lung cancer and the thought of losing him made me feel terrible.
I haden't seen him in a year but we spoke once a month, then he called me about 2 months ago and said he was in a jam. He needed a grand and was gonna get paid from a boiler install job the next week and he would pay me back. I didn't hesitate for a minute and wrote him a check. A month went by, no call - nothing. I called him and explained that I needed it back and he was already late by 3 weeks. He said sorry but he never got paid and he'd be by with something the next weekend. No call, no show again. It's been another 2 weeks and I called him tonite. The phone hung up. I called back and left a voice mail but haven't heard anything.
So I've learned once again the hard way that I should never lend anyone anything. It's at the point that even if I get a dime, I will no longer be his friend or lender. I may have learned a very expensive lesson. If he had merely called me once a week and explained that he intended to pay me back but just couldn't now, I would do my best to be patient. I feel like an ahole calling him and hate the situation I'm in, I feel bad for calling him but I cannot believe he is ignoring me.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO??????

Howdy
12-16-2006, 08:19 PM
I would call him and tell him that you need your money back within 1 week or your going to go file a claim in small claims court. Tell him he will be responcible for Court cost, intrest and such. Then if he don't come up with the money, follow through with the filing.
If you file you will want the cancelled check as evidence.
Howdy

jason 32
12-16-2006, 08:21 PM
damn is his name lucky???

dreadhed
12-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I would call him and tell him that you need your money back within 1 week or your going to go file a claim in small claims court. Tell him he will be responcible for Court cost, intrest and such. Then if he don't come up with the money, follow through with the filing.
If you file you will want the cancelled check as evidence.
Howdy
That is what I would do. I had to do it once before. I won, but I still have not seen my $.

vegas250rr
12-16-2006, 09:51 PM
you say he is liscensed... go to the liscencing board and file for a lean against him. Contractors hate to have claims against their professional caracter.

nate b
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I've learnt that lesson a long time ago, but every now and then I get suckered in to it. The last one I borrowed 1,800 bucks to a family member to keep him out of prison, you think he would be gratefull? hell no, its been 2 years and he still owes me 800 bucks. no calls or anything.
I wouldnt take him to court or anything over it, cause then you'd be the a-hole.

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Truth is, I'm not loaded but I don't need it. But, I want to make sure I'm gonna get it sooner or later. I thought crying poor may make him feel bad and he would try and get me something. He truly is just a bum like everyone always said about him, I try and see some good in everyone. I can feel the anger building within me and each progressive phone call by me is gonna get worse. I feel like if I make him mad then I'll never get a dime. The same goes for the courts, if I anger him I may never see anything or 20$ a month for 4 years.

Look at my signature, Rob Scott ripped me off I think about 4 years ago for 35$. ONLY 35$ !! Imagine how mad a thousand bucks makes me!!

Howdy
12-17-2006, 01:25 PM
But going through Court will give you a lot more legal abilities. Getting it $20 a month is better than nothing at all. If he defaults you can garnish his wages and that looks bad for him. Once you get a Judgement you can put it on his Credit report and that is bad news now a days when looking for a job. Yes a lot of good employers are checking credit reports before they hire someone ( this was reported on the news ). Your credit rating says a lot about you.
Howdy