PDA

View Full Version : Any members have handheld GPS's?

hrc200x
12-19-2006, 11:46 PM
I just bought a Garmin 76CSX, amazon had pretty good pricing on them compared to local stores. Hoping it will be handy cause all the maps we have show old logging roads that don't exist, probably existed at one point, but have grown up over time. Maybe with this I can track the roads that are currently ridable and possibley find where old roads are and maybe open them back up to riding. What do you guys use, how do you like it?

My decision came down to the 76csx, 60csx, or the Lowrance iFinder Expedition. The 76 supposedly floats but is a bit larger than the 60.

fla 2-stroke
12-20-2006, 12:56 AM
I have a garmin rhino 120.It has a 2 way radio on it and it allows me to see the positions of my friend and kid who have them also.I ride in the 400,000 acre ocala national forest,it all looks the same.It is very easy to get lost.I consider it as vital as gas.handy to see the locations of your pals if you get seperated from your group.

ATC-Eric
12-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Im getting one for Christmass I hope. Im excited as well as being able to map riding areas out, to also be able to check actuall speeds of my rides.

Chevy200s
12-20-2006, 03:53 AM
I have a Garmin Legend GPS, I love it. Its a few years old now but still works great. When testing your speed with a GPS like this just remember its close but its not 100%. These things are constantly using triangulation to determine speed, location, altitude and such, and it updates about every second. So a recorded speed is close but not exact. Its really nice though if your driving in an area that you've never been before, and its good for getting you back if you get lost in the trails at haspin acres, heh. Good luck with it man

foster
12-21-2006, 01:09 AM
My Garmin Legend 'C' is the best mod I ever invested in.
Now I cannot get lost (always have my compass just in case) and can see my speed, what time it is, where I am at all times, where I'm going, how to get home, etc... etc... etc....
Plus they are fun.
I love mine and take it everywhere.
It's nice to be able to just pick a road or trail and hit the throttle, paying no regard to where you turned left and where you turned right, because the machine records it all. Even if something happens and it doesn't record it all (say, your batteries died or you forgot to turn it on or whatever,) it will still show you where you are in the world when you turn it on and where your car/truck is located so you can get back to it (as long as you marked it on the gps,) no matter what.
I love the thing. Plus you can go geocaching with it, which is also a blast, fun for the whole family even the dog.
Can't say enough good things about it.
Where I live we are lucky to have thousands of miles of trails and logging roads. You can go for days and days and never use the same trail twice.
A very handy tool indeed and worth every penny they cost.
Plus where I live all atvers use Garmins, so we can track ourselves and then exchange tracks via email, so I can follow along the neat trail my buddies found the week before, and they can follow along the trail I made the week before, with a simple email.
Thumbs up to GPSs.

hrc200x
12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
What is geocaching and what all is involved in it?

vegas250rr
12-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Finally... a post right up my alley!

I use a garmin Legend and a Vista C, in my personal life, but for work I use a Trimble 5800. I like the garmin because you can by after marked maps like that offered by Igage and it has an interface that you can import waypoints, tracks and routes in and out of quadrangle maps. you can set them up for any coordinate version you would like, IE; lat, long... N,E,EL... state plane coordinates... or even your own local grid. Garmin also has one of the best update programs out there, just plug in your handheld and go to their updater and walah... instant upgrades!

I am a land surveyor by profession so I use my GPS units alot... GO GARMIN
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/youngberg1/work/69a.jpg

foster
12-22-2006, 01:45 PM
What is geocaching and what all is involved in it?
Go here: www.geocaching.com
Basically, people all over the world hide little boxes or cans or containers of "treasures," mostly useless, fun or interesting little items. Then they post the GPS location of these "caches" at geocaching.com.
There are zillions of them all over the world, certainly many hidden within easy reach of where you live, and I don't even know where you live. They are everywhere.
You take your GPS, download or punch in the co-ordinates and go hunt them down. They are usually hidden so that it takes some effort to find them. They are usually located at a very nice spot, like a scenic lookout, a waterfall, whatever, but they can be anywhere.
When you find the cache, you enter some info in a log book that is with the cache, if you want to, then you take something from the cache and put something back into the cache.
It's a real adventure. Kids absolutely love it and why not? What kid wouldn't love treasure hunting with a high-tech device, going on long hikes through the bush and coming out at a really cool place?
Many caches nowadays have disposable cameras in them too so you can take a photo of yourself, then put the camera back in the cache for the next person.
Try it. You will like it. There are now several caches in my area that you can hunt down on an atv. It's a blast!

CorbinKale
12-22-2006, 11:26 PM
I bought a Garmin 60CSX. I also got the $50 rebate, which is offered until December 31st of this year. For hunting, this thing is a godsend. The reception in heavy overhead cover is perfect. When the dogs tree, you just get as close as you can on the trails, mark a waypoint for your trike, then head into the boonies on foot. No matter where the foot chase ends, you can walk straight back to the trike, or mark a waypoint for your kill, then find the best path back to it on the trike to haul it out. The TOPO map software shows elevation lines, logging roads and trails, lakes, rivers and streams, powerlines, RR tracks, etc. Awesome for running around offroad. The 76CSx you got is more suited to car or boat use, but it will work on a trike, too :)

Below is my review after using the 60CSx for a while.

POSITIVES:
Magical reception, even inside a steel roofed bldg, I never lost lock. So amazing, I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself.

With the option to drop a 4GB microSD card in, you can load TOPO and City Navigator maps completely for US.

Great for ATV riding. The screen is large enough to easily read on the handlebars. I still ride an '85 Big Red ATC, rigged with a cigarette lighter plug and the Garmin bike handlebar mount. It is really handy to ride around at night in the river bottoms with the backlight on continuously, and not drain my batteries.

Rated waterproof at 1 meter for 30 minutes. Not something to go diving with, but if I had to swim an occasinal creek, I would not be worried about frying my GPSR.

Can be powered by USB, in addition to 2 AA batteries and 12v cigarette lighter plug. This unit is primarily designed for off-road use, but it works fairly well as a car GPSR, too. With an ATV, or a solar charger to replenish NiMH batteries, and the TOPO maps installed, this unit is a hunter's dream for extended field use where you don't want to haul a lot of extra AA alkaline batteries. Never lose reception in heavy tree cover or ravines.

NEGATIVES:
While it works well as a car mounted unit, the 'beep' alerts are hard to hear over the vehicle noise, and there is no volume control. Also, the screen is a bit small to easily read from the dashboard, but that might just be me getting old. :)

There is no option to recharge batteries in the unit. You have to take them out and use a separate charger.

The base map that comes installed is useless. You MUST get the TOPO or City Navigator software if you want to get any practical use of the GPS unit. I knew this going in, so it was no surprise to me, but be forewarned. Think of a GPS as a computer (because it is one). Most home computers don't come with all the software and peripherals that you will install. You buy the computer, then add what you want, in accordance with your intended use. Same deal for a GPS.

Has a problem with lithium batteries. You have to run them in another appliance to take the power down before the GPS will work with them, which defeates the purpose of lithiums, but NiMHs are probably a better choice, anyway.

SUMMARY:
Mainly designed for off-road use, it will work really well for highway and marine applications, too. I, absolutely, LOVE it! Highly recommended!

hrc200x
12-23-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the replys and nice write up Corbin, very informative. The 76 just came today which was a surprise, expected delivery wasn't until late next week, thank you amazon. The GPS will take some getting used to, I can see what you mean by the basemap is useless, only shows the large highways, and lakes that are unimportant. I need to get a Topo quickly.

foster: geocacheing sounds interested, and your right, there are geocaches right where I live and its a fairly small town.

Just playing with mine I noticed how level you have to hold it to get a good accurate reading. Say holding it level pointing north, raise the front up 1 inch and it'll show that its going east, does that seem right?
I hope I don't regret getting the 76 vs the 60. Was a very hard decision, found a messageboard for GPS's, just when I thought I had my mind made up someone would post somthing and it would change my mind or make me think twice. Havn't found a neoprene case for it yet either, would like one with clear plastic over the screen to help protect it but still be able to use the GPS through the case.

vegas250rr
12-23-2006, 01:37 AM
about your case... you might want to rethink the plastic face... when dirt gets between that and your screen it will wear scratches into it making it really hard to read... you would be better off getting those screen protectors for palm pilots and apply them using a little water to help squege the bubbles out... if your looking for mapping software may I recomend http://www.igage.com/ I have both the UTAH and Nevada map sets. and have found them almost invaluable in both my recreation and profession!

heres a sample of a map from Mn. http://www.igage.com/images/MN%20Sample.gif

and heres a listing of the quads of MN. included on the map set, I am sure you wouldnt need anything else! http://www.igage.com/map_minnesota.htm

CorbinKale
12-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Another word of warning... to my knowledge, the Garmin GPS's only work with Mapsource software. If you want to see the topographic maps on your GPS screen, you will have to get U.S. TOPO. For city detail, City Navigator software is needed. The iGage software looks great, but you will NOT be able to load those maps onto your Garmin GPS, only your computer. The Garmin compatability that site mentioned was only for coordinate transfers, as far as I could tell. They certainly didn't show any pics of a Garmin screen loaded with their maps, nor did they mention it might be possible. I ain't saying you are intentionally misleading anyone on this issue, because I am sure it is a useful tool for your profession. However, when you recommend it as 'mapping software' for a GPS, to us lay folk, we get the impression that we are going to be able to put those maps on our GPS. I am not trying to be an ass, it is just that the software is too expensive to buy, then not have it work as you expect.

If I am wrong about this, and someone has actually loaded iGage topo maps onto a Garmin, please correct me. I would kill to get those 1:24k topo maps on my GPS screen!

I agree on the screen protector idea, instead of the neoprene case. The best tip I heard for installing those is to do it in a steamed up bathroom to settle any dust particles that WILL stick to the protector before you can apply it to the screen, if you don't take precautions. You can squeegie out an air bubble with a credit card edge, but dust doesn't squeegie very well. That technique worked for me after I ruined two screen protectors in my dusty kitchen. :lol:

vegas250rr
12-23-2006, 09:15 PM
you are correct, you can not load the maps into a typical garmin... however this software allows you to print all or part of any quad map that you may need... this has been the best case for me cause we all know that batteries dont last for ever. and though we all see GPS units as a god send, they are only a tool in your "tool box" we should all have a vague knowledge of how to use maps and a compass...

I am sorry if I may have misled anyone into thinking that you could load these directly into your GPS. I though my terminolgy was clear. "I like the garmin because you can by after market maps like that offered by Igage and it has an interface that you can import waypoints, tracks and routes in and out of quadrangle maps."

hrc200x
12-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Got to walk around with it outside a bit today and the tracking seems way off. We have trails behind the house that make loops and such. The problem on the screen came when I was about to complete a loop and go back the same direction. In real life I was probably 20 feet from making the loop, but the map showed I had already crossed my first path, if that was the case I would have been out in the woods, not on the path. Another thing, our garage is 30 feet wide, I started from the right front corner, walked up the path way up above the garage and back down to the opposite front corner, then did a distance check from where I started to where I ended, it should been about 30 feet (width of the garage) it said it was 50 or so.

A guy I know showed me his 76S, on the satellite page his said 15 feet + or - , mine was 50 feet + or -. That is the accuacy right? Why is mine so far off?
Am hoping its just a setting or adjustment that needs to be made to get it more accurate.

vegas250rr
12-24-2006, 01:03 AM
This should explain your problem ... it happens to every GPS unit... EVEN survey grade equipment.

Multipath - Interference similar to "ghosts" on a television screen which occurs when GPS signals arrive at an antenna having traversed different paths. Multipath may arise from reflections off structures near the antenna and occurs to some extent everywhere. The signal which traverses a longer path will yield a larger pseudo range estimate and increase the error.
Here is the source for this definition~ http://www.rbf.com/cgcc/glossary.htm

Another thing to keep in mind when you store a waypoint ...
picture your point, now draw a fifteen to twenty foot circle around it. your actual stored point could be anywhere on the edge of your circle not where you think your stored it... now when you come back to that point and try to store it again you could be an additional 20feet from that point... now your conceiveably 40' off. I know its discouraging, but it is what it is.

CorbinKale
12-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Your terminology was accurate, but the context was that he was saying he needed mapping software for his GPS because the basemap is so skimpy. You suggested the iGauge software for his software mapping needs. That is what prompted my warning. Just trying to head off an expensive misunderstanding.

I am seriously looking at getting the iGauge maps for my area. Very nice for showing detail that the Garmin 1:100k maps can't show. Thanks for the link!

you are correct, you can not load the maps into a typical garmin... however this software allows you to print all or part of any quad map that you may need... this has been the best case for me cause we all know that batteries dont last for ever. and though we all see GPS units as a god send, they are only a tool in your "tool box" we should all have a vague knowledge of how to use maps and a compass...

I am sorry if I may have misled anyone into thinking that you could load these directly into your GPS. I though my terminolgy was clear. "I like the garmin because you can by after market maps like that offered by Igage and it has an interface that you can import waypoints, tracks and routes in and out of quadrangle maps."

CorbinKale
12-24-2006, 04:10 AM
A guy I know showed me his 76S, on the satellite page his said 15 feet + or - , mine was 50 feet + or -. That is the accuacy right? Why is mine so far off?
Am hoping its just a setting or adjustment that needs to be made to get it more accurate.

I have heard that is a common issue with the CSx models. The consensus is that the older models were not really as accurate as they said they were and that the new chipset in the CSx models is so sensitive that they are apt to multipath, like vegas250rr stated. Your position will even appear to 'walk' around in an area of about 30-40 feet when standing still. If you use the tracking function, set the track to drop bread crumbs based on distance, instead of time intervals. That will keep your track from jumping around when you are stopped.

hrc200x
12-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the help, I tried turning WAAS on and it didn't seem to help. I was doing this from inside the house though. The best "location" I had on the Satellite page on the GPS was 38 feet + or -. Then out of know where it jumped up to 50, then up to 70, had to go out of the room for a bit and came back and it was at 100. Turned WAAS off it did it again, jumps from like 50 to 100. Also seems that the large jumps in numbers come where either a satellite drops or comes on.

hrc200x
12-24-2006, 04:12 PM
May have figured it out, under the setup/system/GPS there were 4 options, I was on Battery Saver, switched it to normal and got my location down to 21, when I was outside with it I seen as low as 12. I remember switching to battery saver when it was new hoping to stretch as much life out of them as possible, but I'd rather have it more accurate. I did switch it to locate by distance and that does seem to help. Thanks.

Dammit!
12-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I got a Garmin Legend "C" not too long ago. I don't know how to use it very well yet as I rarely get the chance to but I know I need to get some software for it. Just don't know what I should get. All it came preloaded with was some cheesy Marine maps.

vegas250rr
12-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I got a Garmin Legend "C" not too long ago. I don't know how to use it very well yet as I rarely get the chance to but I know I need to get some software for it. Just don't know what I should get. All it came preloaded with was some cheesy Marine maps.

Some Garmin units came with more than one map set loaded into it... you can change the map set in the Route setup screen and I believe the map setup screen, The legend I had a few years ago came with a fairly nice street map set in addition to the marine maps... maybe yours has too

attatched is a little drawing to kind of explain some of the problems that plague all GPS units

85ytz250n
12-24-2006, 07:48 PM
I am looking into a GPS also but there are soooo many freaking choices. I like the looks of the 60csx, and from eveything I read it has most of the features that I want. I am not real sure that I want one without the ability to put an external antenna, that will help with reception alot I imagine. Not only in a vehicle though, I could ziptie it to my backpack/camelback and use it while riding. I am kinda torn between that and the Magellan Meridian Gold. I just dont want to spend $300+ and end up wishing I had gotten another. So i will just keep looking and reading, hopefully Santa will help make up my mind.

Barry

renotrikeguy
12-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey Foster,

Whats your Geocaching screen name? Mine is KA7CJH.

foster
12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Hiya Renotrikeguy,
I haven't been on the site in so long that I've forgotten my name. DOH!
I used to geocache years ago but since I got into triking and ATVing I just use my gps for that, and hunting and fishing too.

crackshot
12-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I have a Lowrance H20. Bigger display than garmin and 512 meg storage on SD cards which makes it nice because I can get all the west on one card and all the east on another card, The entire USA on 2 cards and that covers EVERYTHING, roads, trails, hunting topos, POI, motels, food establishments, entertainment and much, much more.

vegas250rr
12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
new garmins also accept data cards:beer
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/youngberg1/Trikes/DSC03428.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/youngberg1/Trikes/DSC03432.jpg