PDA

View Full Version : server not found

Dave223
01-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Im using a 3-4 month old Dell laptop and a NetGear router, with cable internet. Ive just noticed that lately I click on a link and after a few seconds I will get a message saying "server not found" .I click on the "try again" button of the error message and it will load quick. At first it would happen occasionally but now its 3 of 5 times I click on a link, bookmark, or even typing it into the browser myself.
I dont remember installing any upgrades lately, any ideas what could cause this? Thanks, Dave

troy
01-01-2007, 10:01 PM
LOL...YAY i'm not alone in this server not found thing..Mine does it at lease 5 or more times a day. I'v even gone to make a post here and hit submit and it comes back server not found. My problem is my cable modem time's out and losses packets of information. But after the 2nd of jan this won't be to much of a problem because i'm back on dail up. For two reasons. One the service provider can't provide me with a good service (spends more time off line then online and 59 dollers a month for some thing i can't use). and second they sent in two tech guys to replace my cable modem (because of the timing out problems and offline problem, and their office told them to change the modem) and their words "oh there's nothing wrong with the modem it's your computer".

At least on dail up i can still do what i have to do and only pay 23 dollers a month.:)

The server not found in my case is the modem, as for you it might be the same thing, lossing packets due to bad lines or bad modem. Cable modem well any modem have a funny and unique way of giving out.

longbedGTs
01-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Im on a 9 month old Gateway laptop and I get the same mesage every now and then. FWIW, Im on dial-up.
Im pretty sure I have every spyware program made installed on my computer because its painfully slow. Im running two spyware progs and its still slow. Sometimes pages time out (page cannot be displayed) but refresh most always helps.

Dave223
01-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Last night I switched from Firefox to IE. I didnt have the problem as much. I deleted Firefox and downloaded the latest version. Tonite i m not having any problems at all. Dunno if thats the cause but tonite its working like its supposed to, Dave

russell56443
01-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Man that can be so many things?
Do you do the disk clean up and error check/Defrag programs?
It could be the ISP is busy or just slow or even if your running spyware software if you already have a trojan or one of the many f****ng adware traps out there it is trying to direct it to there site and your spyware software is hanging things up??
If your puter is running slow and it use to not be slow than more than likely there's something hiding out in the reg??
My stepson's kid got a whole bunch of crap on my old computer there useing over the holidays and I have been fighting it for a couple of days now and I think I finally got it all out of there but I keep finding more and more crap imbeded in the system files:mad:
Even with antivirus software on your system there are virus programs that shut down YOUR software and they reak havock on your file system,it sucks!!!
Good luck guys!!!