PDA

View Full Version : Weird network problem, any ideas?

Billy Golightly
01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
This seems to be happening almost daily. I'm using Wildblue internet service (I think its Surfbeam modem?) hardwired via the ethernet port to a D-link DGL4300 router. After the computer has been on for say, a day, I can't connect to anything. No web pages, no email, no irc, no file sharing, etc. I reboot the computer, and as soon as windows loads I can access everything fine again :confused: onboard lan is on the latest drivers, and so is the firmware for the router. Any ideas?

atctim
01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Billy, What OS are you running? I find that sometimes when I leave my PC on all night I have to go in and release my IP then renew it. There are some settings in your control panel (depending on your OS) that puts some networking devices in hibernate mode, and I have found they do not like to come back alive.

Essentially, your reboot is refreshing your IP address.

Next time it happens, try this:

Go to your command prompt and type:

ipconfig /release

then type

ipconfig /renew

this will not work on all OS's. Let me know what you are running. This will tell us if it is an IP problem, or a hardware problem.

Tim

84honda200s
01-04-2007, 10:35 AM
mine does it too. i disable then renable or just repair the connection under network connections.

Billy Golightly
01-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Tim I'm running XP pro, latest service pack/patches. I tried ipconfig /renew the other night and it didn't do anything :(

atctim
01-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Billy - did you do an ipconfig /release before the ipconfig /renew?

in XP - if you go to control panel, then system, then device manager - then your network card, you'll find a tab called "Power Management" (or something like that) - check those settings.

bigredhead
01-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Atctim is on the right track..

Go into control panel and disable " Hibernate " and make everything " always on " .. test it for a few days.

Are you running torrents or similar ?

Sometimes you ISP gets pissed at the traffic on your IP and shuts you down

Billy Golightly
01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Billy - did you do an ipconfig /release before the ipconfig /renew?

in XP - if you go to control panel, then system, then device manager - then your network card, you'll find a tab called "Power Management" (or something like that) - check those settings.

No I didn't, but I'll try that the next time the issue comes up. If that does fix it, how do I make it automatically do this? Dialup seems so much simpler :lol: Power is setting is set to never turn off, also went in and checked the power options setting and system standby is set to off.

Atctim is on the right track..

Go into control panel and disable " Hibernate " and make everything " always on " .. test it for a few days.

Are you running torrents or similar ?

Sometimes you ISP gets pissed at the traffic on your IP and shuts you down

Occasionally, but not lately. It does it even if I haven't done anything but surf/send email all day. I've got a bandwidth cap anyways and I'm no where near it.

atctim
01-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Billy,

I have just learned to live with it on mine (with the release and renew or a hard boot). One more thing you can try is this - in your router you should be able to go in and tell it to change DHCP addresses every "X" amount of hours or minutes - this may keep it refreshed.....if you are set to DHCP - also, maybe try to give your computer a static IP in the range of your router and see what happens.

Bryan Raffa
01-04-2007, 06:27 PM
ya I got xp too and it does the same thing.. its starting to get old rebooting everytime...

Billy Golightly
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Well it just did it again. I tried release/renew and it didn't work. Had to reboot and it works fine?

troy
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
sounds to me like one of two things, your network card is shuting down and not waking up until the reboot happends (some thing like stand by mode), or two for some odd reason your losing your ip address:wondering

and after reading your post again i'm about 75 percent sure that your computer goes into stand by mode when your not around to use it, and it puts your network card in stand by mode, but it's not bring it back to life when you wake up the rest of the computer, example monitor, keyboard, hard drives, video card ect ect. which in term causes you to lose your connection to the modem/router, until you hard boot, which again wakes up your network card. there was away to disable it from going into stand by mode with the rest of the computer but can't seem to remember.

I know in my cause i disable all stand by features because of problems like this, when i leave my computer for a long period of time i will shut off the monitor and leave the rest on.

smyers33
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
We reset our router about 3 times daily, just cause it quits working. We have to reset the router, do the ip config /release, /renew, and then repair the network connections and it fixes it everytime. We download a lot of stuff off of Limewire, and that seems to cause internet to go down a lot.

Billy Golightly
01-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I dont think its a powering down issue, if it is its random. Reason being is I can go to bed, and wake up the next morning and hop on an surf fine. But later on in the day, or evening is when it does it. And the time from the last reboot is different everytime. I've reinstalled windows, removed, reinstalled winsock, nic firmwares, etc. etc. It has to be something with the router because I don't think I had this problem when I was connected directly to the modem. D-link tech support is useless.