PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

MyMistress86R
01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Suzuki Z400 vs. Yamaha Raptor 660

I'm considering buying a used quad and have narrowed my choices to these two bikes. Please sound off with pro's and con's as you see them.

Thanx

wheelie king
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
The Zuke is better for MX, and just as home on the trails.
Assuming we are talking stock bikes, I would go with the Zuke, believe it or not. The Zuke is a bit more versatile, whereas the raptor can be a bit cumbersome and harder to handle on hard whoops and tight trails. The raptor is taller and less forgiving in the corners

Also things to consider: HOw tall are you and what do you weigh? What kinda riding will you do the most?

I just think the Z400 is a better "all around" bike.

Good luck

hondaracer11
01-04-2007, 08:52 PM
i agree the suzuki is the way to go

82300R
01-04-2007, 09:08 PM
i had a 03 z400 that i got new. it was a good bike. but i didn't keep it very long. i regret selling it cause i think with minor mods it would have met my expectations. i just got it when it first came out and i fell for all the new model hype etc. was a little disapointed with it in stock trim. i would buy one over a raptor 660. not that the 660 is bad . just me.

400exguy
01-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a 400ex and love it. Z400 is pretty much the same maybe a little better in some peoples minds. But if you could afford it go with the raptor 700. I just rode one this past weekend and it was CRAZY. I loved it. But anyways if you went with the z400 you would be happy im sure.

MyMistress86R
01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Well...You are all lending opinion to the direction I am already leaning.

I'm 6 feet tall and weigh about 150 pounds. I ride 98% trails with a teensy bit of MX when my balls actually make an appearance...lol.

I like all of the reviews I have read about the Zuke. Pretty much the only advantage I can see for the Raptor is 260cc.

OH, and I just HATE being one of millions, so Honda 400EX's and such are out. It has to be something not so mainstream. Also, anything new is out of the question, definitely looking for something tenderly used 2 ~ 4 years old. 4-stroke is a must and 400cc is the smallest I will consider.

wheelie king
01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Remember as far as the Zuke compared to the Raptor- Like Pirelli says in their advertizement: "Power is NOTHING without control".

Basically, I believe the Zuke to be a much better handler stock, and ESPECIALLY when upgraded (a arms, shocks, axle, etc.).

MyMistress86R
01-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah

Thanx for all the input guys. I'm pretty sure my mind is made up now.

x.system
01-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah

Thanx for all the input guys. I'm pretty sure my mind is made up now.

I don't know what you plan to spend but if I were you I would go with a 450. Check exriders, theres some killer deals on 450's. I just saw an 06 for $3800 over there.

MyMistress86R
01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Don't think that didn't cross my mind, Jim...BUT, two of my requirements are electric start and reverse.

x.system
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Ahh, I see, I would definatly go with the zuk then.

G-MAN-1
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
i wouldnt buy either one. if i 98% rode trails like you do i would buy a HONDA 400ex. they do have reverse now. yamaha and susucki. just not my liking like a HONDA. and honda s hold more value then either one of those machines. just my opinion.

G-MAN-1
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
i wouldnt buy either one. if i 98% rode trails like you do i would buy a HONDA 400ex. they do have reverse now. yamaha and susucki. just not my liking like a HONDA. and honda s hold more value then either one of those machines. just my opinion.

OldSchoolin86
01-05-2007, 09:31 PM
The zuke has a much lighter feel and although it may be beat by a raptor in a drag it should out run the raptor in just about everything else (or at least hold it's own).

max
01-06-2007, 10:17 AM
If you lay it out like Charlies:drool: , I would definately go with the Raptor. The only weakness I know of on the suks are the stock rear axles, matter afact, the bent one in my garage is a 04 suk. Other then that it has a very smooth power band.

You fat pockets now??!!!! You trying to go 3legg on us???!!!:lol:

MyMistress86R
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
G-Man...I'm just not interested in having the same thing as everybody and their brother and their brother's nephew.

Max...yeah, charlie's got his set up pretty nice, but I'm not going to have much overhead to add into the machine I buy. I have to go at this as though whatever I get will be that way for quite a while. Considering stock for stock, I believe the Zuke is the better bike. Besides, being the non-jumper that I am and as light as I am...bending axles is not too much of a concern...lol.

Jason Hall
01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I really don't think you can go wrong with the suzuki. The frames are not real strong, but that should not affect you one bit. Super simple reverse procedure. The only thing I don't like Is the stock chain adjustment on the suzuki. I also had fitts getting the head pipe back on brandons 400, Wow putting that pipe back on really made me mad :mad:

max
01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
But im not talking about jumping. Im talking about rolling that bich down a hill:eek: . I see your balls are getting harder, and your bailing skills are getting better.:drool:

MyMistress86R
01-06-2007, 01:49 PM
LOL...too funny Max. You like that tree hugger impression I did last weekend?

3leggeddog
01-06-2007, 04:20 PM
You fat pockets now??!!!! You trying to go 3legg on us???!!!:lol:[/QUOTE]

now now maxi pad,whats that supposed to mean?how many times have you seen me on the 400?if we're climbin,you know what i'm ridin!!!if i'm jumpin something for the first time,most likely it's on the 250r,i just feel more comfortable.

but anyway,hey todd,i don't think you can wrong with the zuke.i got lot's of stock replacment parts,for a good price of course.besides you will really feel at home on one.they are nice and smooth,easy to ride,and pretty fun machines.mine is not anywhere stock trim,but from my experince on one,they handle good.and they are CHEAP!

Derek
01-20-2007, 12:14 PM
go with the suzuki they handle way better! once i saw a raptor doing a nice donut then it just fliped over in a matter of like 1 second :eek:

200xcellent
01-25-2007, 11:37 PM
havent been on much lately but i have to agree, go with the zuke. it will take a lot less $$$ to get comfy on one then on a rappy.