PDA

View Full Version : Soldering tips I need. Well, I need MORE then tips ..........

Huffa
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I used to solder when I was a kid, doing radio kits and such, my Dad would help me but after All these years (40+) I forgot everything there is to know about soldering wires, I mean EVERTHING!!

I bought a Sears soldering gun with a high and low heat settings, 40% tin/60% lead for wire repairs and some flux.

Where do I go from here? What does the lead do? Why wouldn't I use lead as i see there is lead free, is that for brazing?

Honestly, I just don't know a thing about it anymore ......... :cry:

OH, the reason I bought it is to repair a small wire that came off a terminal on a horn/light assembly on a Power Wheels trike. The small white loop wire on R came off one end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/DSC03526.jpg

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
hold the tip of the soldering gun on the wire that you want to connect let the wire get hot and touch the solder to it it will melt to the wire when hot enough, then heat the area that you want to conect it to and the wire and the solder will melt together.I use flux core solder.

it didnt come with tip's? lets see a pic...

edog
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Huffa

I highly recommend one of these.I bought it at Home Depot for $39.

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2007, 12:29 PM
thats the same one i got! it's got the little light on it for sodering in the dark...LMAO

Huffa
01-07-2007, 01:41 PM
hold the tip of the soldering gun on the wire that you want to connect let the wire get hot and touch the solder to it it will melt to the wire when hot enough, then heat the area that you want to conect it to and the wire and the solder will melt together.I use flux core solder.

it didnt come with tip's? lets see a pic...

:lol: The thought never occured to me that someone would misinterped my subject. It came with tips, I just meant I need info on how to use it.

Huffa
01-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Huffa

I highly recommend one of these.I bought it at Home Depot for $39.

Seems I sort of have the same one, except I got RAKED! No carring case :mad:

What does the term "tinting" mean?

Also, the tip in gun and one other of the ones are the same but what is the WIDE one for?

Man they heat up QUICK! I touched it a second after I pulled the trigger, OUCH!!

Mine has a halogen light and a HIGH and low beam, too trick.

Dirtcrasher
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Tinning is heating up the tip and heating up the wire and putting a dab of solder on them...

Bryan Raffa
01-07-2007, 05:29 PM
heat the wire with the tip then touch the solder to the wire when its hot enough the heat will melt the solder and draw it into the wire
Just got done with quite a bit of sodering on my truck putting upgraded plugs for gas filled xenion lights.

Mobular
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
The wide blade is for cutting plastics and such.