PDA

View Full Version : I had this motor when I was a kid ........

Huffa
01-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Thought it was the coolest toy I ever got, brings back great memories of me pedaling up and down the street with the engine at full RPM's, waking up the neighbors in the morning. :lol:

Anyone else have one? It was in the late 60's when it was made.

Vealmonkey
01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Same here man. All that power and no helmet, LOL.

XTrumpX
01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Anyone else have one? It was in the late 60's when it was made.
They were made into the 70's too. Use to clamp them on the post bar. But the only problem was when you jumped and didn't have it tight enough, it would swing in the way of your peddles and knock it off. Then had explain why I wanted another one. I see the headlight, yours have the taillight too? Wow, I never would have remembered that without seeing it.

Rm250RF900R
01-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Could someone explain to me what it is? I'm still young haha. Thanks

XTrumpX
01-09-2007, 11:55 PM
It's a sound motor you would attach to your bike (peddle). I just noticed that his doesn't have any lights, I was looking at the motor adjustment knob. The one I had was the same but also included lights. If I remember right, the sound was like a dead toad moaning when you turned it up :)

youngbansheeman
01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Wow looks like a fun motor!I have a smaller 1 that I bought for $20 tought it was kind of cool looking but never tought what it was for!Will try to post some pics tomarow!

bigredhead
01-10-2007, 10:17 AM
That thing looks neat.. sure better than the hockey cards in the spokes ! lol..

I've grown up a bit.. just a bit mind you.. and this is the way to go now !!

Mobular
01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Could someone explain to me what it is? I'm still young haha. Thanks

It's a Mattel Vroom bicycle engine.

Huffa
01-10-2007, 02:34 PM
It's a Mattel Vroom bicycle engine.

Yep, spelled Vrroom (I spelled it your way too, at 1st) .

I searched every now and then for info on it and could not find anything until just the other day.

The one in the pic was from 1963 (not mine), never used with box and sold for $202.00 on ebay. I did not know they were made in the 70's though, with lights!

Here is another link ................

http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-V-RROOM-VRROOM-VROOM-MATTEL-AD_W0QQitemZ300067625630QQihZ020QQcategoryZ719QQcm dZViewItem

Huffa
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Same here man. All that power and no helmet, LOL.

You had one topo huh? Cool! :beer

Huffa
01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
It's a sound motor you would attach to your bike (peddle). I just noticed that his doesn't have any lights, I was looking at the motor adjustment knob. The one I had was the same but also included lights. If I remember right, the sound was like a dead toad moaning when you turned it up :)

.........a dead toad moaning :lol: :lol:

I honestly don't remember what it sounded like but you may be correct, too funny!! :beer

Here is the box .......... Weird though, that's a stupid red one, I like the one above better, which is what I had.

Maybe this is the smaller one, what youngbansheeman is talking about?

Red Rider
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Is that a Rotax 500 motor? :drool: Those are so freakin' bad azz! I wanna put that in a 250R frame and roost on everybody. That would be so friggin' sweet!

XTrumpX
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
.........a dead toad moaning :lol: :lol:

I honestly don't remember what it sounded like but you may be correct, too funny!! :beer
I remember it well. When I first git it and had it on my 16" schwinn, I think I had it on all the time... until it got in the way of the peddles :( Then I got a second one, maybe lasted a month or so until I broke that one. My brother got one too, he never put his on... have no idea what happened to it... but when I think of it, we never threw anything out so it may be sitting in the back of the closet next to the bathroom. Talk about time travel, that closet had and has everything. Last time I looked in the cabinet in there, I found some Sizzlers that were still new in the box. I'm sure the batteries are toast, hate to open and see if they leaked. I'll have to break in there again next time I'm over when my mom isn't around and see what 70's stuff is still in there.

Huffa
01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
My other favorite toy was made in the 60's too, it was this 3' long or so army green bazooka gun, you would pump it up and it would just blast huge air masses at ya.

I remember my sister getting pissed at me all the time cuase I would blast her right in the head, loved that toy but can't find a ounce of info on it.

Not sure who made it though? Could be another Mattle toy possibly?

Huffa
01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I remember it well. When I first git it and had it on my 16" schwinn, I think I had it on all the time... until it got in the way of the peddles :( Then I got a second one, maybe lasted a month or so until I broke that one. My brother got one too, he never put his on... have no idea what happened to it... but when I think of it, we never threw anything out so it may be sitting in the back of the closet next to the bathroom. Talk about time travel, that closet had and has everything. Last time I looked in the cabinet in there, I found some Sizzlers that were still new in the box. I'm sure the batteries are toast, hate to open and see if they leaked. I'll have to break in there again next time I'm over when my mom isn't around and see what 70's stuff is still in there.

COOOOL, you just DO that !! Imagine, just imagine if that Vrroom is around yet!

I can't beleive how I get over old toys and I'm 51. I love stuff like that, love it!! :beer

email me (you have my address, right?) all your findings for sure and most of all FIND THAT VRROOM, that's worth big coin !!

Huffa
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Is that a Rotax 500 motor? :drool: Those are so freakin' bad azz! I wanna put that in a 250R frame and roost on everybody. That would be so friggin' sweet!

It does look like one sort of :lol: , ya know it!

bigredhead
01-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Almost as fun as the Spud Gun !.. you stick the end of the gun in a totato to get a wedge of spud.. and shoot your sister in the ear canal !!..

great times..