PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody made a rollcage before?

Nick_R_23
01-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Last summer I was given an early 90's Chevy Astro that had hit a moose pretty hard. The only salvageable part of the body is the rear from the sliding door back. The engine, tranny, drivetrain is all good. I want to get rid of the body, salvage and sell all the usable glass, doors, interior, etc, and make a gokart kind of car out of it. It will basically be a frame with the dash, seats, and mud fenders. Thing is, I want a full rollcage on it, but I have never made one before. I have a pipe bender, welder, and can get the pipe, but I dont know what kind to use, design advantages, etc. Does anybody make these that has a few tips, or is there websites on how to build these? I want it to be pretty strong, also. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

200x Basket
01-12-2007, 02:58 AM
well it sounds like waste of good steel but i have built several. I would use 2" pipe and alot of it. look on some rock crawling sites for good buggy cages.

Nick_R_23
01-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Is there a certain guage of pipe I want to use, or any 2" pipe will work? Is there a certain geometry to follow? I can tear that car down to nothing in a day but I have never built anything like this before, I mainly want it to be safe to have other people ride in it with me. :beer

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Erics350x
01-12-2007, 07:53 PM
i'd go with the sandrail design and use 2in. pump pipe its cheap and fairly strong.

Dave223
01-12-2007, 11:46 PM
ummm..dont use "pipe" use DOM tubing. Lots of good info on www.pirate4x4.com, but dont tell em what your building, they will eat you alive! just search around in that site and find what you need. Dave