PDA

View Full Version : Wife wants the yamaha raptor to accompany me and my 350X ...

powerkicker
04-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Thoughts anyone? :?:

TimSr
04-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Theyre decent quads but if youre asking for an opinion about whether its the right quad for your wife, its hard to do without a little more information. Types of riding, physical size of rider, skill level of rider, and amount of money to spend are determining factors.

powerkicker
04-20-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm just looking for general input on the bike for trail use and maybe a bit of imprompt straight-line dragging with our friends.

ATCRYDER
04-20-2003, 10:06 PM
It should read: "Not for women or Children" across the gas tank.

Thats my feelings on a raptor for the wife. You'd have a blast on it though!

TravEX
04-21-2003, 05:33 PM
It should read: "Not for women or Children" across the gas tank.

Thats my feelings on a raptor for the wife. You'd have a blast on it though!

my thoughts EXACTLY!!! :-P

powerkicker
04-21-2003, 05:53 PM
I know guys...I've tried to talk her into the Z400 instead but she won't budge.She says that anything but the raptor looks like a "sissy bike" and she even told me my X was "plain looking" :o .I'd be fine with either but I'm not so sure of her. I'm sure she could learn to handle it properly with some training on my ATC as she is very patient and a good learner when it comes to serious business. She would only ride it rarely due to her work and college commitments,the rest of the time,the bird would be mine to play with :twisted: . I'm going down to buy SOMETHING tommorrow...Help make up our minds will you :? :D

powerkicker
04-21-2003, 05:55 PM
While I'm asking questions...Just how "tippy" are these things on the trail? Thanks again. :?

ATCRYDER
04-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Raptors are notorious for their "tippyness" due to high center or gravity and narrow gas tank. Keep that in mind. Just go to a dealer, They'll let her test one out.

Pound For Pound, The Raptors the overall best sport quad out right now to me. They arent for inexperienced riders. They're the flagship sport quad of yamaha for a reason.

powerkicker
04-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.One last question...Does the raptor have a recoil backup starter or is the electric starter it? :)

ATCRYDER
04-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Electric.

If I were you, Id look @ a Automatic 4x4 from Yamaha or Polaris. That Grizz 660 is somethin nasty! Im putting a down payment on a Kodiak 450 4x4 @ the end of the year I've decided.

Rob

powerkicker
04-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.My father has the POlaris 500 H.O. utility bike already and while it rides like a cadillac,it's just not sporty enough for my tastes,much less those of "she whom must be obeyed" :D .

MudyTrikeGrl
04-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Hey.... I have to agree with the rest of the board. I have been out playing on a Raptor. And this is one serious machine!! Definitly not for beginners. But it sure does look cool, honestly how cool is it going to look when the bike and your wife are hanging from a tree. The bike is 660cc for trails TOO MUCH for a beginner. I was one of those girls that wanted a Raptor, but my boyfriend put his foot down and would not let me get one. so I got a blaster sure alot of people may say now that is a sissy bike, nahhhh hands down to 2 strokes. Power, handling... all kinds of mods to make it faster when one is ready. If I had a choice I would LOVE a Z400!!!! Hope this helps!!! Get the Z.... :-D

powerkicker
04-27-2003, 08:17 PM
WE went with the Z400.She handles it fine.

MudyTrikeGrl
04-28-2003, 05:45 AM

I bet the two of you will have lots of fun with the Z!!! i have to hand it to Suzuki.... What a bike!!!!

powerkicker
05-04-2003, 08:27 AM

I bet the two of you will have lots of fun with the Z!!! i have to hand it to Suzuki.... What a bike!!!!

Yep, after riding the Z400 for awhile, we have concluded it was a good choice.The clincher was all of the starter and transmission problems the raptors are having;that, and the fact that the local yamaha dealer is staffed by less than enthusiatic sales presonnel. Thanks for the excellent suggestion. :-D ...Now my wife must come to grips with the reality that my 350X with DG pipe will still smoke the stock Z400, 50 extra cc's and all. :D

TRIKE
05-04-2003, 07:53 PM
I have to throw some pun in here now!! I am a z400 owner since the begining!! :P I love it and have had a few mishaps with it, but!!! I would love to challenge the statement you made of the 350X beating a z400.. Im not saying it will or wont,BUT,,let me be riding the z400 and beat me with the 350x !! I can vouch from past experience its not possible with the proper rider on BOTH machines. nOw if you are strictly talking beating your WIFE on the 350x?? Yes I can believe that! HEHE,Im not trying to start anything,just trying to have some fun with what I read!! Peace and have fun with the z400,and may godspeed help the 350x :P

powerkicker
05-04-2003, 08:54 PM
I have to throw some pun in here now!! I am a z400 owner since the begining!! :P I love it and have had a few mishaps with it, but!!! I would love to challenge the statement you made of the 350X beating a z400.. Im not saying it will or wont,BUT,,let me be riding the z400 and beat me with the 350x !! I can vouch from past experience its not possible with the proper rider on BOTH machines. nOw if you are strictly talking beating your WIFE on the 350x?? Yes I can believe that! HEHE,Im not trying to start anything,just trying to have some fun with what I read!! Peace and have fun with the z400,and may godspeed help the 350x :P

^ :D

350Xccelerator
05-04-2003, 09:28 PM
will a stock 350x beat a stock z400?

ATCRYDER
05-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Can you not read and comprehend the last 2 posts, kid?

350Xccelerator
05-04-2003, 10:46 PM
STOCK 350X NO DG PIPE!!!!!!!!! pal

THREESTYLE
05-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Raptors are notorious for their "tippyness" due to high center or gravity and narrow gas tank. Keep that in mind. Just go to a dealer, They'll let her test one out.

Pound For Pound, The Raptors the overall best sport quad out right now to me. They arent for inexperienced riders. They're the flagship sport quad of yamaha for a reason.

just wanted to differ a little, I think most people that ride in my area would agree that a banshee pound for pound is a much quicker, exciting and better handling bike than a raptor .