PDA

View Full Version : Well, the Army has screwed me bad. Now I need a job.

LonesomeTriZ
01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Yep, one more patriotic American flushed down the crapper. I went to OCS in July expecting a satisfying career serving my country. In day two of class the pulled me out because of a paper work foul up. Then I caught a virus that should have been easy to over come. Easy until the Army medical staff got involved any way. They mistreated and misdiagnosed it so many times it ended up attacking my heart. I almost died from it. I went to OCS with very high PT scores, and now I can not climb into my truck with out getting winded. I will recover, but it will be a long time. Now, they are throwing me out with nothing. I am even expected to handle the rest of my condition on my own. I went in a well toned stud, and I am coming out a fat and worthless old 29 year old. Any way, does any body have any ideas as to how I can find a good job? We just bought a house and I have started working on my Masters degree. We are so very screwed.

200x Basket
01-16-2007, 07:49 PM
well what skills did you aquire in the army?

LonesomeTriZ
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
All I did in the Army was infantry and artillary. I have a criminology degree. But I can not get hired on at a law enforcemtn agency becuase of my hart.

84honda200s
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
ouch man that sux not even a desk job till you can work something else?

400exguy
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Sue the army...slightly joking. Maybe you can go on unemployment for the time being until you can find a job. Atleast some money would be coming in. Good luck finding a job

SYKO
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
man dude, I feal bad for you, I freind of mine who is well older than me, called me today and after 25 years in the Navy he is getting forced out! he has 4 kids! and a new house!! It sucks that the military is SOOO strong yet they treat people in the military like crap! my dad faught in 2 foreign wars, and they treat him like crap that the VA hospital, (Billy can verifie this as well), good luck man, and if theres any way I can possibly help (riding buddy) let me know.

ALAN

200x Basket
01-16-2007, 08:15 PM
did they say you were disabled? are you out yet? get a lawyer and fight the arly for your rights.

if you are out goto the post office. military gets some bonus points there. be sure to buy the sudy guide for the exam.

try to put your degree to work some where. PI?

4cylinders
01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
hey, go see the dav about a va claim, and email your senator/ congressman. put the big squeeze on them.

ccdhowell
01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I was an Army Officer, found myself being harassed and encouraged to get out because I went to Desert Storm. When I came back, after 11 months in Saudi Arabia, I was 15 pounds overweight when I checked in to my new outfit, Third Armored Cavalry Regiment. I hadn't done PT in 11 months and was terrible out of shape and nearly flunked my PT test. The Army Doctors diagnosed me as a 2 pack a day smoker because of the oil fires, damaged lungs. Anyway, Army became hostile really quick when you are down just a bit.

Anyway, I decided to become a high school teacher, for 10 years now, and I love it. Rewarding to see the kids learn new stuff. Summers off is really cool too.

Good luck, Chris

ATC-Eric
01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Man, Im sorry to hear that! It is such crap that soliders arent allowed to break the contract without major repercutions, but the government can kick you to the curb without hearing about it later. That really gets to me.

Did they say you can come back when your better? or are you completely out of your time served and pension?

Good luck to you and your family.

Banage
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
if you dont mind golfing, the air force will take anyone

ScottZJ
01-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey bra,

Send me all of your skills that could be related to the Dept of Defense. With having military background it could help you be like me and get a civilian job. Let me know of the Naval/Marine base near you and maybe I could help you out. Also I can send you a link to the place you can put your resume'.

Scott

LonesomeTriZ
01-16-2007, 09:25 PM
They are telling me right now I will get nothing. I already have a military attorney ready to take a stand for me. But I doubt it will do much good. I really want to stay with the federal government. That way my retirement will carry over. I have almost seven years in and I have never been in trouble. They sure as hell owe me something.

Hey Scott, what kind of information do you want? I would love to stay with in the federal realms.

ScottZJ
01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Well I guess whatever your resume would have on it that might would lead to a DOD job. Currently they have just reopened the civilian jobs and there are tons to be had. I love working for the DOD and its very rewarding. I do feel for you and your troubles. I too was forced out of the Navy due to asthma, but the problem was I never had any issues of it. It was just a CO that wanted to clean house and found my bag with inhailers. They even threatened court marshal, until they realized they never asked if I had asthma and I passed everything with flying colors. I just say oh well the Lord must have had other plans for me. Try keeping your head up but I would still fight it too.

mark38090
01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Florida Department of Corrections... Best kept secret in Florida, 16 years and still counting.

VABCH350X
01-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Louis,

Weren't you ANG? Can you revert to your prior status, go back to your unit, maybe go active Army? Your situation sure sounds tough, but I would imagine at a minimum your medical should be covered. I'm sure you'd like to stick to the DOD of Federal Gov if possible. Have you checked out The Gov't jobs site? (http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/) Best of luck, and get well soon.

S/F,
-Paul

xd 200x
01-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I feel for ya, got discharged because of a DVT blood clot. Actually an army medic saved my life. (because it was mis diagnosed as a hernia by a civ doctor. When complete blockage came it wasn't trust me ) So not all bad there. Army said I had some really complicated blood problem. What ever you do do not take disability in any way If you do chances of getting back in are gone. You can get a waiver and get back in. I have my waiver going jag when I get out of here.

If you are talking about your retirement from the guard carrying over. I wouldn't. Unless you were deployed your points wont be worth much if anything. Just get a job doing something you like. You will be happy in the end if you find something that you want to do.

Mosh
01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Well that sucks.Hey my friend had kinda a deal with the army like that and he became a union finish painter.he was making 17 bucks and hour in 2 years and in 4 years he makes almost 20 bucks per hour.With your military background I would say you might have a good jump on being a police officer? It seems like you have good wrenching skills maybe a mechanic would suit you also.I know in Florida, good auto techs, make like 20-30 bucks an hour.

LonesomeTriZ
01-17-2007, 12:57 PM
FDC is something I have looked at in the past. But I would really like to stay in the house we just bought this month here in Ga. Just in case, do you have a contact number?

Scott,

I have never had to write up a resume. I am not sure what would be important and would not. I have been searching the USA Jobs site, but there is nothing showing up here at Fort Benning. Plus, I never know if any of the applications I have sent out have even been looked at. I'll see what I can come up with and I'll send it your way.

LonesomeTriZ
01-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Oops. I missed the second page here.

I am currently searving on active duty. I was in the Guard while I went to college. Before that I served in the Marine Corps.

I would love to get into law enforcment. That is about the only thing I am really qualified to do. But I can not get through an acedemy right now in my condition.

hinddee29
02-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey I'm the guy Moshman is talking about. Your getting screwed big time.
First off have you started to ETS yet? The very first am MOST inportant thing
to do is go get all your med and dental records. Make copies. That also mean
any x-rays, cat scans. Get all the paper work as possible.
your last check up for the DR. when you ETS he will ask you all your problems
Tell him everything. Tell him you wet the bed can't sleep every little problem
you have. More important is make sure you get a copy of your last check up before you leave for good. This will be able to us for the V.A. they will go by
this paper to figure out what you will get for disablity. It's very important you do this. I didn't do it so I'm not getting as much as I should be.
You will also be able to get unemployment for awhile. It's not much, but you won't go hungry. Every swinging dick get this when they get out.
I think you should have a little talk with your local T.V. station. It sounds like they are trying to sweep you under the rug. Which is bullcrap. Also one of the best places to go for help even now is your local American Legion don't waste time
go talk to them. They may even be able to help with the house payments.

This really pisses me off. People that really want to serve this country get treated like crap. Fight for right you don't even have and the thanks for it is being bet over
in the end. Well good luck to you. Your not alone so don't feel like you are.

Shane

LonesomeTriZ
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Thank you for the information. I have learned a lot since I started this thread. I finally got them to give me a sepration physical. I'll start that on Monday. I also have the forms filled out for the VA. I am going to go over them with a VA rep on Monday as well. My chain of command is not making this fight easy. I did finaly find out I am getting an honorable in-volintary seperation. So at least that is better than what I was first told. I also went to an interview with the local Sheriff's office. They are very intersted in me. The major I spoke to said I can work in the jail until I get better. Then I will get fast tracked to the road. I will even start out with LEO pay and not detention. I am waiting for the final word on that now.

I know what you mean though. Very seldom is there any reward for those of us who make sacrifices to serve.

hinddee29
02-11-2007, 12:26 AM
That's great news. Sounds like things are falling into place for you.
Good luck.

LonesomeTriZ
02-11-2007, 08:42 AM
We are not there yet. But things are loking better. I am really upset of my wife having to quit school. She finaly has the chance to work on her future and now has to give it up again. I never thought I would feel the way I do right now about the army.

atczack
02-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey Lonesome, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm glad it seem's thing's may be looking up for you. Believe it or not, there are civilian organization's out there that honor military time. You should dig around and try to find some. I am applying to be a 'Lineman Trainee' for the City of Gainesville and they honor your military time. Of course you have to pay into it, but in the end, instead of retiring with 20 year's, you can retire with 20 year's plus whatever military time you have, which in your case you can retire with 27 year's. Just a thought. I hope you get better and work it all out.

xd 200x
02-11-2007, 12:08 PM
what conflict were you in

LonesomeTriZ
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I have tried like hell to find a place here in Columbus that would do that. I know lot of places in Florida will. Mostly the governement agancies I ahve spoken to. Things might be getting better. I have tracked a down a lot of information that thay hide from you. I hope to throw my leg over a mchine soon to get my mond off of all of this. At least for a day or so any way.

SYKO
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
hey man!! why dont we go to albany sand dunes?? I havnt been there in like 10 years but I know alot of peeps that still go!

LonesomeTriZ
02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I am all for that idea. I think I have an idea as to where it is. Once I am out of here we will have to set up a time and head out there.