PDA

View Full Version : phazer Drive bearings

dooner17
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
How big of a job is it to change the drive brearing. I mean the bearings on the shaft that turn the track. My literally blew up tonight... Its an 88 phazer 480

84honda200s
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
they are a huge pain in the arse ive done them a million times on my doos and enticer. what side blew out?

honda250sx
01-16-2007, 10:19 PM
They are relatively easy. Take the suspension out. Take chaincase cover off. Back out the chain tensioner bolt. Remove chain. Unbolt bottom gear. There will be three bolts on each side holding some bearing retainer plates. Remove the shaft. Replace the bearings. Depending on the year and what not i can get the part numbers if need be. I work at a yamaha dealer and have preformed this many times. Good luck! If you need any print outs the the manual i can get that too. PM me year and model

84honda200s
01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
yea its pretty simple as long as everything goes fine. the older stuff can and most likely be a huge pain it the butt.

nate b
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I cant guarantee about the phazer but I know on my vmax's it about a 10 min job. If its the clutch side you might want to pull the secondary clutch off for a little more room,loosen track, put parking brake on then pull the 3 bolts out that hold the speedo cable assembly on, remove nut, bearing should be right behind that, slide it off, install new one and reassemble.

now if the bearing happens to actually be inside the tunnel then you'll have to pull the track and everything like the other guys said.

the one in the chain case usualy doesnt go bad because its submerged in oil, but it can.

nate b
01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
otherwise go buy a shop manual, you might want to find the torque specs on the big nut behind the speedo gear.

dooner17
01-16-2007, 11:47 PM
its the one on the drive chain side. Track started knocking and slipping and we could see where the bearing had blown out completely. Had to leave it on the trails for tonight. So I'll have to remove the track in order to perform this task or just the suspension.?

84honda200s
01-17-2007, 12:16 AM
it depends on if its a inner or outer set up. my doo s were all inner. my polaris was a outer.

nate b
01-17-2007, 05:30 PM
the bearing "might" be in the chaincase. pull off brake parts, remove chaincase cover, remove sprockets,loosen track, pull out other bolts that hold chain case on, slide chaincase off, bearing might be pressed in, good time to change the seals as well. put back together dont forget to tighten the drive chain, and add fluid.

dooner17
01-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Ok thanks for all the help. I dropped brake assembly, chain case cover, chain, pulled of sprockets, removed chain houseing. Ball bearings flew everywhere, bits of metal. The bearing was trash. The bearing shell is tight in the chain housing. Now if I get my dealer to replace this bearing in the housing, is this all I need to do. It doesnt appear that there are any internal bearings meaning under the ski doo behind the track. Thanks I can take pictures if it would help you understand.

nate b
01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
change the upper and lower seals on the case and there might be 1 on the cover, buy a new gasket. you might want to pop the speedo side bearing off while your at it and see if its bad unless you want to do this again later.

dooner17
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok, Ill get the new seal but its a thick rubber gasket on the cover so it should be ok. The speedo bearing is another job but that bearing seems fine for now so im going to leave it. Thanks

nate b
01-18-2007, 11:36 PM
if there is a grease fitting on the speedo side you might be ok, if not the bearings probably bad, if it hasnt already been changed. I would at least pull it off and make sure it spins good. The chaincase bearing should "almost" last forever being submerged in oil, unless the gasket or seals went bad or the chain wasnt adjusted properly. might want to go aftermarket on the bearing, some yammie bearings are pretty pricey, you could probably do both for rhe price of one with the same quality parts.

dooner17
01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Alright, One thing I noticed was the chain had a lot of play. The tensioner could have been tightened a lot. Could this have caused it.

nate b
01-19-2007, 09:02 AM
you wouldnt be able to tell how tight the chain was, if the bearing was in pieces,

dooner17
01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Alright well that makes sense.. The chaincase may have been low on oil. Hard to tell becsuse it may have all leaked out through the broken bearing.

cj_89
01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
i am from newfoundland and last winter i had a bit more trouble happen to me... my chaincase bearings were bad 2 and when the track popped off she hook in the back tensioners and there was that much strain she busted the axle out on one side and blew the chaincase in bits, sold the sled after.. had alot of trouble wit the chaincase on that :(.. hope you have better luck then me

dooner17
02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok. CHaincase bearing was replaced. Now the clutch sifde bearing has gone. Guess I should have listened to you guys and repalced it. I have it all apart. The shaft has worn a hole in the frame so that its not where it should be. I cant seem to pull the shaft back into place. I cant see anywhere that I can loosen the track or do I have to drop the suspension from the tunnel... Thanks

nate b
02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Told Ya So

dooner17
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
You did. Lucky enough my local yamaha dealer had one in stock. still need to know if theres any way of loosening the track or am i going to have to drop the suspension?

nate b
02-07-2007, 10:46 PM
dont need to pull the skid, you wouldnt be able to with out loosening the track anyways, you need to loosen the nut on the rear idler wheels and then if you look in the track windows from the back you will see 2 nuts or bolts, loosen them, should have a loose track then, tighten track the same way, make sure you set the proper tension on the track, when this bearing failed you may have destroyed your other new bearing as well and possibly cracked the chaincase, and bent the drive shaft. when you tighten your track back up you need to make sure its running straight also.

dooner17
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
ok thanks. Going at it tonight until its done. The problem is the broken bearing case on the shaft. Seems impossible to get off. Any ideas. Maybe just grind it in half and pry it off. Chaincase doesnt appear to be leaking oil and I never drove it for very long so hopefully everythings alright that way.

dooner17
02-09-2007, 12:21 AM
ok its all done. grinded bearing case off, loosened track, reinstalled everything. The chain case was leaking oil until I got the shaft straightened out. Its working perfect just hope theres not a puddle of oil under it in the morning.