PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Yamaha TRI-Z450?? sound fun?

crazyflights
01-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Hello, letting you all know and put input on my latest creation.
Have a 2003 Yamaha WR450 Enduro Dirtbike, same as YZ but electric Start /backup kick, and lights, I live in Missouri were the bike is also been setup streetlegal, I'm currently in process of converting to a trike, somewaht like Speedbumps conversion the CR250R to trike, mine is gonna be more for motocross, but with change of tires also street legal.
Currently the bike is tore down to frame with engine in it.
Tommarow going to the machine shop to get started on tripple clamps, and have been working on some ideas for rearend, at this time may use stock 06 YFZ 450 swingarm and just modify a little, the front section is only 1 in wider on the quad than my bike, or we may make all new chromoly one, which will actually use 450R rear bearing carrier and end, because have +4 RPM 450R axle just laying around, going to eithe rmodify stock subframe or build all new, at this time looks like goona use yfz 450 rear fenders and seat, the bike is blue, but once completed going to tear back down after testing, and make it have white plastic , with candy apple red , same as that color version of the yfz, also this will match my 2 other white/red yfz's.

This is all for now input , is appreciated, i have dial up internet, so pics will be limited until further along.
*****For pics of me jumping my old 250R 3 wheeler that i used to have, they are posted under a friends thread, username *speedbump* titled helping out a new member, there pretty wild, also a pic of my wr before the teardown.

tecat-z
01-17-2007, 11:30 PM
This sounds like a well thought out project with a great understanding of how to pull it off cleanly. Are your plans to use usd forks? YZ80? Top mount tank or tri-z vacuum pump? Make sure to post pics of this project at different stages of progress. This sounds like it will be more to pi@@ off the cops and then be like, hey its legal. I love it, and it will be brutally fast for sure and turn lots of heads. I don't think a project has been done to this extent yet. Street legal at least. Good luck

crazyflights
01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I have talked with our Missouri Hwy Patrol Inspections office about the project he advised will be completey legal, same as i have it now, just make sure and have DOT tires, and in Missouri to make dirtbike street legal minumum requirements are Headlight with high low beam, and indicator light for high beam, rear light, but does not have to function as brake light, horn, DOT tires, you do not have to have mirrors, or turn signals, brake light, on the trike he said would have to have 2 rear lights but could mount them next to each other. This is definataley a way to have streetlegal , more modern trike, that cops will hate, but cant do anything, i do love that,
Went into more detail with them at HWY patrol also, Missouri u cant make ATV's roadlegal no matter what, but then I brought up well what about orginAL 3 wheelers. he said never been asked since, not as common as ATVs now, but looked in all the manuels advised that if had a title, and did same requirement i listed above, you could street legal, any 3 wheeler 250r? 350X, tri-z bigred, what ever u want, as long as have title or just bought it from state that does not require titles, like Oklahoma or Illinois and get a Notorized BILL of Sale
reason didnt do this is to get ahold of a good shape 350X, was more than I want to pay for older machine, so thats why im converting.

On the Bike, it will remain above motor gas tankl, orginal bike tank to be exact.

Does any one have any ideas for DOT tire 23-25 in tall for 11in rim??
On the front end i have 85 250R front hub and rim i will use.

Fox250R
01-18-2007, 01:10 AM
3wheelers on the streets with other cars just doesn't seem like a good idea to me but good luck to ya...

Bryan Raffa
01-18-2007, 01:20 AM
http://specialtytirestore.com/dottires.htm

Ordo
01-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Hope your conversion works out and you get it street legal. Where abouts in MO are you.

Derrick Adams
01-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Sounds like your working on a similar project as me. I'm using a Tri-Z frame and building off of that.

For a tip on those street legal tires, you can run a stock Z 12" front wheel with a Mini Cooper tire. For the rear they make tons of utility trailor tires to choose from that are DOT approved.

slothminx
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
23" 25" rear tires? :eek: id run some alot smaller, think of the grip you will generate on the asphalt. Id run 18's

crazyflights
01-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Yes the rear tires will be 18in or 20in, the front tire will be between 23 and 25in
The transmission on the My WR450 is a 5spd not 4spd,
Went to machine shop tonight we finished drawing up tripples on the computer program, should have tripples by the weekend.
I', in Linn, MO
Also my town is small so out on street wont be bad, traffic is light, doubgt will go far from town, its goona be more for offroad riding but like the benefit of being able to go legally on the hwy.

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Well tonight picked up the tripple clamps, thbey are far from being complete, but just wanted to mock up some parts to get an idea of the look the rear seat height will be alot lower than picture and use yfz fender and seat. also swingarm still comes in about 2inches, this is not the swingarm going on it but one to give an idea. I have slow internet so not going to upload a whole lot of pics.

WIkid500
01-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Thats just too cool! Lookin good man!

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Just couple more pics, trying to find some pics of me jumping my 85 ATC250R that i used to have, hope i can upload those at later time

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 12:53 AM
another pic, couldnt see the others so just incase there not showing

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 01:36 AM
More pics cause think my first ones are not working sorry if they are, on my computer cant see them ,and im new to having a thread

firefirefire90
01-20-2007, 02:30 AM
That thing is SICK!!!

cr480r
01-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Image being completely within the law, and watching a cop walk back to his car with his foot in his mouth... Priceless...

SpeedBump
01-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Go boy!!!! Fine start ya got there. Gimme a call tomorrow if ya get a chance.. Tell me all about the project, and I will let YOU in on what I kinda been kickin round. Derrick,,,hush, hush! Not ready to let it out yet! :w00t:

SYKO
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
finding a dot legal tire for the front 11 inch rim is like finding the holy grail!! you will most likely have to switch up to a tri-z hub and wheel or go down to a custom made 10 inch rim, I found dot leagal golf cart tires there like 205/50/10's !! they rule!! Im trying to get a set for my flattracker, good luck!

SYKO
01-20-2007, 07:36 PM
here ya go for some rear rims!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GOLF-CART-12-LOW-PROFILE-TIRES-WHEELS-GRAY_W0QQitemZ330076714000QQihZ014QQcategoryZ40155 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/12inch12spokegray2.jpg

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
yea i think i'm going to get a tri-z hub and 12in wheel for the front before i do any mounting of the wheel, is the 250R front axle bolt same diameter as the one for the tri-z or will i need, triz axle bolt, I have alot to do, but over next several months hope to get it done.

I was searching the computer here and found some pics I have didnt even know we had, just wanted to share
Some are in my 94 Explorer Sport doin some trails
*which when i get done with the trike, next up is explorer, its gonna get a set of solid axles, dana 44 front and 9in rear, they have 5:13 gears, locker in rear, and will get 35in boggers, but it has to wait, want 3 wheeler done first.
1 is of the wr450 when it was still a bike
The other is my 800sxr standup jetski used to have, sold, but will liklley get another someday, Standups are kinda like 3 wheelers, not for everyone, but they do have a big group of followers, thing was alot of fun, but still dangerous doing some tricks cost me 7 staples in my head. lol
O dang only 1 picture uploaded

redneck_09
01-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey man whats up. I live in Morrison Mo. Not to far from ya. I would like to see it sometime.

crazyflights
03-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to share some photos, and updates
was going to weld together orginal bike swingarm and 450R swingarm that plan is canceled due to i will break it motocrossing it, so today just ordered the pieces to build a custom chromoloy swingarm, still using my 450R rear end and bearing carrier, the front is almost done, other than brakes hooked up, but going to wait on that for awhile, also this week getting metal to build a new sub frame that will keep the seat height realtivaly close to stock 250R is the plan. Also I have recieved my 10in front wheel from Douglas, which will likley order another soon, as this one will have my front street tire. By the way bringing the way we are coming to trikefest, about 5 or 6 of us cant wait.

crazyflights
03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Here are some pics of my quads , and are trip last weekend

SpeedBump
03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Looking great so far. Can't wait to see it rollin! Keep at it.

Derrick Adams
03-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Street legal huh. You should ride it TO trikefest! Project looks like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it at TF.

Chevy200s
03-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Image being completely within the law, and watching a cop walk back to his car with his foot in his mouth... Priceless...

haha, exactly what I was thinking. Looking really good so far man, good work and also cool to see you are making it street legal. Looking forward to seeing it at Trikefest!!!

viper
03-22-2007, 12:51 AM
i didnt think anything with a live axle could be street legal

jeffatc250r
03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Hmmmmm, viper brings up a good point, the goldwing trikes have a differential if im not mistaken

crazyflights
03-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Live axle all depends on which state your i n i guess, i have had long conversations with the Highway patrol inspection office about making certain vehicles street legal in Missouri, and mine will, be completely legal, only have to have Dot tires, head light with high low beam with indicator for high beam, a horn, and rear tail light thats it, which i allready had it legal as a bike, just enjoy threewheelers alot and wanted to try and make a more modern version, cant wait to get started on my swingarm this weekend, have thank JD Performance for selling me the steel peice that goes around 450R carrier, and front yfz pipes that the needle bearings go in, should look pretty good, and when done taking it to get powder coated.
I have re consider my rear fenders not so sure what im gonna run yet? maybe even atc 250r rear fenders *white* and do a custom seat

crazyflights
03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Today have been working on building my swingarm, it is only tacked together for now, turned out my wheelbase is 51inches doesnt look like it, in the future may build another now that i have did one its not that bad. Hope fully next weekend will get some more parts in and finish swingarm, during week goona try and start on sub frame still not sure about what rear fender and seat combo, which the seat eiyther way will be custom, 1/2 quad/atc seat, 1/2 dirtbike front section, i either will use yfz 450 stuff, or get white atc 250R rear? what does every think regarding rear fenders?

crazyflights
03-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Here are some phots of it just mocked up, nothing permanant yet.

team-red-rider
03-24-2007, 07:44 PM
hey i liked the fenders you had before!

crazyflights
03-24-2007, 07:48 PM
The orange 450R rear were pretty rough shape same as the red front 250R fender, im hoping when i get seat custom done to put some lettering on it what should i put any one have any ideas, LIKE Tri-Z450, 450R, ??

SpeedBump
03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Do you know who is doing your seat yet? If you haven't made up your mind..I suggest using this SITE'S FAVORITES....The MoshMonsters!!! Look them up, Tammy and Rob will hook ya up like no other. www.cosmicquads.com

As for plastics...no sure. Gotta just take a look at what you like. I would go for something that is more modern looking than the 85/86 ATC plastics. Just my $.02. Have you looked at the YFZ450 fenders? They would look sharp on there. (if you could get em to fit properly) Anyway, keep at it...looks good so far.

Meat-BoX
03-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Yea Moshmans work is great. They do some sick work. Check out their site and hit em up here.
Oh Yea, real nice project you got there. Be nice to see it run against the 500cc monstors. :w00t: Make sure you bring your Quads also to Trike Fest. Its a rough place. And when it rains its so sticky. Dont park at the bottom of a hill either.:beer

Derrick Adams
03-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I like the look of the newest Raptor 700 rear fenders. They would fit that project perfectly. The seat is going to be real close as well.

RedRider_AK
04-01-2007, 07:38 PM
My god, that thing is WIDE. LOL. Nice job, I like the color scheme especially.

edog
04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Is that a 12 oz beer can attached to that shock?:eek: :beer

Looking good so far.:Bounce

redneck_09
05-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Looks good in the pictures but looks better when you actually see it. :drool:
It looks just as sweet as the day I saw it.:beer :TrikesOwn

SpeedBump
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Anymore progress? More pics plz!!!

crazyflights
06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Here are some completed phots, only thing havent done yet is put front brake on, this trike is completely legal on the Hwy, has been inspected by Hwy Patrol, issued new vin # titled as **07 Special Construction motorcycle three wheeler**
The Hwp that pulled me over in town fiirst, thought i was messing with him hardcore lol, but afyter about 1/2 hour in car, and showing all paper work nothing he could do , was priceless. Still planning on coming to Trikefest, prolly just leisurly riding, will sell for $6000 if anyone interested.

crazyflights
06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
If everyone is wondering how it rides, well its got Balls lol, suspension feels good, only thing is front steering is a little heavy feelings cause of more rake out than normal trike, but for the riding im doing with it is fine, was going to switch to thumb thottle but decided not to, since ride alot on rode and have gotten used to the thwist throttle

BigGreenMachine
06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
SICK!!! Road legal, wow!

SYKO
06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
man! thats the thing of DREAMS!!! please show us the complete process! I always said if I could make something treet legal, (trike/quad) I would use it for my everyday driver! what are its speeds? i/e top end or cruising around? what does the insurance cost you?

SpeedBump
06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice Brad, glad to see ya got it all finished. How bout a pic at the Police Station with the Cops outside checking it out! They would probably get a kick outta it!!!

3Wheelers4Life
06-13-2007, 06:48 PM
very nice, and its street legal!!! looks great, you must get some looks riding around town.

crazyflights
06-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Yea, we didnt take any pics with the police yet, but im sure i can get some lol, I get tons of strange looks going thru town, all guys have to have a double take, and jaw open, some puzzled looks, police advised first night in town, non stop phone calls, people calling me in thinking i was riding illegally thru town, that was a load of crap, also, some prics called me in and said i was doing donuts *which i was not* and had to ride in the Hwy patrol car, for awhile, but nothing came of it, i was fired up, as far as insurance its Liablility only like 15 dollars a month, right now need to play with gearing more, probally only does 65mph maxed out?, first gear is still really low, so i have room to work, but not worried about it yet. Thanx for the comments, cant wait to see everybody getting crazy at trike fest, we should be there thursday morning at around 3:00 am, gotta go

Billy Golightly
06-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Thats awesome, very nice work!

Jason Hall
06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
How does It turn on the pavment with the solid rear axle? I might have missed something, cause I did'nt read back through the thread again. I'd suggest a bearing on one of the rear hubs. Between the axle & hub. I'm sure you could build a hub that would be super trick. We used one on our go-cart on a concrete road course & wow It turned awesome.

86waterpumper
06-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Most places, including here, a solid rear axle with no differential makes any vehicle illegal. you must not have that law in your state or either they missed that fact lol. Of course my truck I drive has a spool in the rear so technically it's illegal as well. With all that being said, it is a kick butt project, has anyone else in the U.S. gotten a 3 wheeler legal? A normal 3 wheeler that is, not one of the gay reverse ones haha.

crazyflights
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Yep in Missouri does not matter that it is a solid axle, project wouldnt work if it had to be differential that would suck, actually i learned alot in my state no matter what u cant street legal quads, but orginal trikes if u have the title essential same as mine can be street legal. as far has Jason advised putting a bearing on one side to make it corner better, idont think so, that would defeat the challenge and make it suck offroad, it doesnt get rode a whole ton on the road.

riverrat
07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Yep in Missouri does not matter that it is a solid axle, project wouldnt work if it had to be differential that would suck, actually i learned alot in my state no matter what u cant street legal quads, but orginal trikes if u have the title essential same as mine can be street legal. as far has Jason advised putting a bearing on one side to make it corner better, idont think so, that would defeat the challenge and make it suck offroad, it doesnt get rode a whole ton on the road.

First off, I laughed my ass off reading about when you got pulled over, and the cop couldn't do anything. You should have been more prepared, and worn some glasses with a hidden camera in it or something, lol.
That would have been great video.

Second, I would like to ask, why would a bearing suck off-road?
In off road 1/10 R/C racing, the differential is crucial in having an outstanding set-up. As long as both wheels engage under power, then having a bearing, might actually make it handle better off-road.

I guess it depends, because having a solid axle under braking, and turning at the same time, helps it slide out, where as with a bearing, it will just roll around the corner. Which might be faster, but feel unusual.

It sure would rock on the street, and be safer.

crazyflights
11-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Anyone curious how the trike has been holding up? Or any other things that have been done, hoping to bring it back to trikefest 08 and enter monster class this time, i have changed some things and steers amazinly better, so may be some more competition.

steven 250sx
11-25-2007, 02:05 AM
yup very curious

crazyflights
08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
here is a couple pics, from Glamis trip to quadzillathon 08, rode my trike out for some nice pics, and others are from my wisconsin trip, talking with the police, they werent sure what to think haha, no tickets rode away. update havent done anything since was completed which was rough build this winter hope to tear down and complete with details and powder coating, looks like wisconsin pics may be to large will try again

Autophysn
11-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I am bummed, no pics anymore :( what happened?

factoryX
11-11-2009, 06:50 AM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/bronco2guy/100_0058.jpg

audioworks04
11-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Any more pics available? Wanna see some build pics and the ones in glamis that disappeared. Looks awsome in that pic though.

RudeDog666
11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
I would also like to see the pictures that seem to have disappeared in the last 2 years. :lol:

ultimate tri-z
12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
trailpro got a tri z project myself almost complete but lookin for back plastics off a raptor or similar if any one can help will post pics soon as i figure it out

crazyflights
10-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry not sure why, pics disappeared, i have not been active here for awhile is maybe what happened??

Updates, did learn in Missouri you cannot make orignal trike legal if it has title, thats ok, I sold this trike a while back, but intend on building another someday from either a CRF450X or Ktm 525 enduro Bike, and yes will be street legal again.

crazyflights
10-08-2010, 01:34 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/bronco2guy/100_1632.jpg
My 250r before it :)
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/bronco2guy/100_2535.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/bronco2guy/100_0058.jpg
Glamis -http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/bronco2guy/100_1712.jpg