PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Quad sport 230

sandpuppi101
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok here the deal ,I am working on a '87 230 Quad sport 230E.. Anyways the thing has an issue on start up,it simply seems like it it is'nt getting any gas at all,when you use the choke nothing,but just on a cold start.if I take the plug out which is dry and put a shot of gas in the cylinder it fires rite up and if you then put on the choke it works " rev's slightly higher".. The machine is stock,I cleaned the carb ,all seemed good... changed the air cleaner....plug..... and it seems to have good compression..The temp here has been @ 25degrees during the day!! Just poking around for some ideas???

scooterroo
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
have you bothered to check your spark at all? maybe you got a weak coil, not producing hot enough spark to start at cold temps.

New2ATC
01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
yeah id check spark..i had the same problem on my quadsport 230 when it was cold out i had to clean the plug real good and kick it hard and it would start and everytime after it would start on the first kick for the rest of the day..

nate b
01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
clean the carb again,

sandpuppi101
01-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah Nate I'm up with cleaning the carb again,spark is not an issue. It's gapped good and it's a new NGK plug so.... I guess i'm missing something on the carb,I hate those valve type carbs .. The plug is dry at initial startup guys so carb is the culprate I believe.. I will go through it again in the AM and post my findings!! Thanks fellas....

digity x
01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
my quadracer is like that kick your butt off then it fires up then have fun''

chris200x
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
When you say 230e... you mean electric start, auto clutch, backup pullstarter... and reverse??? Kinda like this? My son's is quite stubborn at times to start. I've found that giving it full choke and throttle at start up usually does the trick. Make sure the choke isn't sticking though as I'm having that problem now.

It will fire and idle fine... but only go a few dozen feet then bog and die. I got my hands full with projects at the moment...(with trike projects) so I'll keep my eye on this thread for any tips other memebers can provide... and help any way I can.

Oh.. be sure to clean the tank, petcock, and gas line... a inline fule filter is a swell idea as well.

sandpuppi101
01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah Chris thats the exact machine rite there,auto with reverse and the whole 9 yards,LOL... Boy I thought I was a busy guy,I guess that would be another thread for us though ahe',Yeah I'll post in tommorow with my findings,Thanks guys!!!

chris200x
01-18-2007, 10:52 PM
LOL....... Make sure that darn cold start button is pushed all the way in on the carb as well... Oh.. and don't overlook the killswitch on the off position as I have done a hundred times before...

Tri-ZNate
01-18-2007, 11:00 PM
worst comes to worst and you want to elimate the carb as your issue, take an SX carb, change the main jet to a 115 (I think thats a stock sport's main) and slap that on. It will fit the boot to the cylinder but there will be a 1" gap to the air box. Just an idea ;)

sandpuppi101
01-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I'll tell you what guys ,I fricken himed and hawed over this deal all night last nite ,I got up and got in the shop by 7:00 am and knew exactly what it was ,kinda like an apophonee I would guess!! Sure as Sh#@ I got a bowl off a Blaster"which is the same ,by the way",and drilled out the bowl where the choke line goes in with a 5/64 bit and solved the issue. Seems as though the bowl itself got over looked and it runs great at start up now,I posted a pic of the prick but problem solved.. FYI don't over look the bowl on these carbs!! Thanks for helping me get threw this fella's!! I owe you all a beer at TF !!:beer :beer

sandpuppi101
01-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Forgot to add the pic of the Damn thing!!!

MikeRWK
01-27-2007, 01:09 PM
for cleaning anything and everything i use throttlebody cleaner

chris200x
01-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Hmm.. I'm having one heck of a time getting mine running properly. I rebuilt the carb on this thing and it starts and idles.. but once I give it gas it boggs,, backfires and just runs like crap. I've had this carb off a dozen times already.. tried the airscrew every which way... I even tried the clip on all the notches. wtf? One thing I did find is I never had the little spring on the cable down above the little barrel on the choke. But still does not run right.

Roger, what notch do you have the clip on the needle? Sorry to bust in on your thread here.. but I'm outta ideas.. I don't quite grasp what exactly you've done with the bowl.

sandpuppi101
01-27-2007, 01:36 PM
No problem Chris,OK how can I explain this easily,beer with me... On the bottom of the bowl as I have pictured where the line goes in for the choke," I drew a line with arrows,blow it up it's hard too see",anyways that was plugged,try blowing in that hole and see if you get anything out at the bottom,The needle was set at 4th from the top I believe..I went out an incredibly 2 3/4 turns out on the air screw also.. I'll check back later too see if all is good! Oh and something else,I took off that 19MM on the underside of the muffler and razzed it hard,lot's of carbon build up came flying out!!

4cylinders
01-27-2007, 02:04 PM
hey, biggest problem I ever had with zukis is valve lash. keep'em adjusted, and they run fine.