PDA

View Full Version : What cause's this 3-wheeler obsesion?

bp739
01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
What is it about these 20 year old machines that causes each of us to spend countless hours wrenching,rebuilding,searching for that one part or one elusive machine?

For me its really started by accident...I was bugging my buddy to sell me this old trailer he had , rotting away in his yard...and it just happened to have the 200x we used to ride years ago sitting on it...needless to say I ended up with both.

Six months ago I would have never guessed that same 200x would be almost 100% restored...and I would have just spent $400 on a basket case 350x(pics will be posted soon)...

So what is it? I had $600 to spend on what ever I wanted. I almost bought new wheels and tires for my 700...but thats not what I REALLY wanted...I was only going to buy them because I couldnt find a 350x and was giving up hope.

What is it that made me spend $400 on this rusted 20 year old machine? I did and I couldnt be happier...every time I look out the window at it I just smile...I smile and think about how AWESOME its gonna look when I'm done...My wife thinks I'm CRAZY....It seems like no one else cans see past the rust,and the dirt, and see that pefect 350x sitting there waiting to be uncovered. I think I've found the perfect hobby for myself, she doesnt agree...

I love riding most of all, but lets face it , you cant ride all the time....so this is the perfect hobby...start with a pile of junk...put a "LITTLE" time and money into it and when your done you get to ride it...what more could you ask for!

So what is it for you? What drives this obsesion for you ? Is it the collecting...rebuliding....the scavenging....the riding?...Or is it all four? Like it is for me.

Dammit!
01-18-2007, 10:00 PM
All four, definitely. Ultimately it's all about riding (which I don't get to do near enough of). All the work put into the trikes just makes it that much more satisfying when I do get out to ride though.

mnnmaz
01-18-2007, 10:11 PM
For me its the freedome.... the freedome to turn, go fast, so slow, and just the thrill of everything that comes with it! I love to wrench and ride and I all way will so LONG LIVE ATC!!!!!!!

SYKO
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
well. I remeber seing them as a kid, then I got into motorcycles, quads, street bikes, back into motorcycle, sold everything got out, didnt ride anything for a while, got one quad to too on, a buddy had a 85 R (mine now) told him when he was going to sell it to call me, he sadi he would never sell it, a month later it was mine!, also the fact that the performance is awesome, they get all kinds of stares and comments, relativly cheap, and like Ronnie told me in Ocala after seing my pirates flag on my R wavin in the air for everyone to see " we presonify crazy outlaw ways with our trikes" and I told him hey man " I LIKE BEING AN OUTLAW!"

:TrikesOwn

deathman53
01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
my friends think I am nuts. I'm having a frame made for me(I'm sick of riding 20 yr old frames) for 2g's. I am also gonna have custom short track tripple made to fit inverted dirtbike forks. They can't understand why I would rather ride my trikes instead of my quads. If everything works out good, I'm gonna have the samne guy make me a frame for my 86 200x, w/some mods to it. I have almost 8-9g's into my atc250r. This blows their mind away. The guys at the honda dealer say I am far beyond help(they heard I finally found someone to make me a frame and wondered if it was true).

zombie_17
01-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Two words: Fun Factor. I have a slightly modded 250 bike, my brother has a modded yfz450, friends have their raptors and banshees, and i ride them all and sure i can have fun on them, but for only 10-15 minutes after that i just want to hop on my trike. Sure its not one of the high modded race trikes on here but nothing compares to it when you just want to tool around the yard and have fun. i could spend hours just pulling wheelies on it up and down a field or see what kind of trouble i can get into in the snow drifts.

ATC-Eric
01-19-2007, 01:07 AM
I went to look at a quad, and ending up buying a 200s only because of convienence.

I cant explain it, but I have spent over $4000 on my Z. I love my trikes. Their different. I really love it when "they" try to tell me my bike is unsafe, and inferrior. Then I rock past them with the front tire in the air!

84honda200s
01-19-2007, 01:42 AM
for me it was mostly lack of snow. well i was big into snowmobiling and then the winters went to hell. so i said to myself i need a atv. so i went on ebay and all the atv's were way out of my price range. then i put in honda 200 thinking trx200 but up came a honda 200 3 wheeler. so i skipped work to bid on it. i won it for 142.00. the guy even brought it here from about 50 miles. then i sold all my sleds because i fell in love with my crappy looking 200s. all it needed was a carb rebuild. sure its not the best looking thing but it does what i want it to and allot more. its bin threw allot. it even went into a pond. i pulled it out tipped it back let the watter drain out and bam she fired up after about 5-10 min of pulling that rope.

nothing is built as good as a honda. i cant believe it started up.

russell56443
01-19-2007, 02:25 AM
With me it started out seeing them around in the 70/80's and being to poor to get one lol!!!
I got my 1st Honda when I was like 6 and rode the crap out of motorcycles over the years and after one 2 many close calls got out of riding on road ect..I lived in the city so I didnt have anywhere to ride a dirt bike:rolleyes:
Over the years I ran across guys with trikes and would (Try) to ride theres,no brakes,shoe string for the throttle and other custom accessories,I ran over my leg's more times than I can count LOL!!!
I moved to Minnesota going on 4 yrs now and my Better half's family had a 200M and a 83 Red,they got them out one family gathering and said have at it and it's been a obsession ever since!!!!
I got a Polaris 4x4 when I first got up here and would let whoever didnt bring a ATV ride it so I could ride the M (they call it the whore)????
Anyway,I couldnt stop thinking about riding the trikes and had to get on as soon as possible!
I sold my KLT,the first one I bought to buy the R,Im still sad lol!!
Now it will never end,I have an 83 Red in progress and the 82 R,I swear it's about all I think about,I have to ride or work on one everyday or I go nuts!!
Thats my story:D
This is the one that started it all lol!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/russell56443/Picture113.jpg

cr480r
01-19-2007, 02:46 AM
My dad told me I wasnt going to have a dirtbike or a trike until I moved out of his house. Since I have aquired both. My friends hate 3-wheeler too. I love it. My Tecate was the first performance machine I could afford. Soon after learning respect for it, I began teaching my buddies that 3=4. No other machine has the same handling quirks as a trike, you either love it or hate it. Lets not mention power: wieght ratio...

Nick_R_23
01-19-2007, 03:48 AM
so I could ride the M (they call it the whore)????

They call it that cause everyone wants to ride it!!! :banned: :D

Mine started during last summer, I cut my knee with a chainsaw and ended up not being able to bend it (because of stitches) I couldnt even get into a car or anything. My dad had picked up my 83 200 several years back, we put a new coil in it, rode it for a day, and parked it. I had all the time in the world, so I pulled that out from behind the trees, spent a week and 150$ in parts and that was my 'wheelchair' for the good part of the summer. :lol: It was perfect because it had no seat and I had to stand up anyway. Its since had a lot of time and $$$ spent on it, its getting ready for a rebuild this summer. I like trikes because I dont have a lot of money, parts are relatively cheap and plentiful, and up here people will just give them to you. They are also a lot easier to work on. I have several other dirtbikes and snowmacines but none of em can beat trikes any day!!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

chris200x
01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
I think a big part of it for me is reliving those great childhood memories. I grew up riding them and never forgot how much fun they were.. now my garage is full of them. HAhaha...

This darn website just adds fuel to the fire.. :D

TravEX
01-19-2007, 09:24 AM
For me it's the fun factor! And the ability to work on em myself!

sandpuppi101
01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I have to agree that I almost am reliving those child hood memories,in the mid 70's my cousins got a atc 90, and when I would go to se em' all I wanted to do was ride it,one day my dad came home with a US 90 and it's been down hill ever since!
To this day I have to laugh because ,he said all I ever used to say as a kid was 3wheeler ..3wheeler,said I drove him nuts,LOL!I am guessing since then I have owned close to 100 machines and I can remember almost everyone weather it was a junker for parts a restored machine or rider. Now days I took it to the next level and restore them as close to OEM as possible,I guess I love to see the transformation taking effect with bring them back,and the fact that when I sell a machine and I see that persons eyes light up with enjoyment and excitement themselves with something I did,well lets say that makes me feel that I accomplished something. Every one that know's me around home used to think I was Hopless and Nuts with these trikes,but oppinions have changed as the bikes keep rolling out and they come over just to see what kind of machine I am working on .

Russell 350X
01-19-2007, 11:39 AM
What is it about these 20 year old machines that causes each of us to spend countless hours wrenching,rebuilding,searching for that one part or one elusive machine?

For me its really started by accident...I was bugging my buddy to sell me this old trailer he had , rotting away in his yard...and it just happened to have the 200x we used to ride years ago sitting on it...needless to say I ended up with both.

Six months ago I would have never guessed that same 200x would be almost 100% restored...and I would have just spent $400 on a basket case 350x(pics will be posted soon)...

So what is it? I had $600 to spend on what ever I wanted. I almost bought new wheels and tires for my 700...but thats not what I REALLY wanted...I was only going to buy them because I couldnt find a 350x and was giving up hope.

What is it that made me spend $400 on this rusted 20 year old machine? I did and I couldnt be happier...every time I look out the window at it I just smile...I smile and think about how AWESOME its gonna look when I'm done...My wife thinks I'm CRAZY....It seems like no one else cans see past the rust,and the dirt, and see that pefect 350x sitting there waiting to be uncovered. I think I've found the perfect hobby for myself, she doesnt agree...

I love riding most of all, but lets face it , you cant ride all the time....so this is the perfect hobby...start with a pile of junk...put a "LITTLE" time and money into it and when your done you get to ride it...what more could you ask for!

So what is it for you? What drives this obsesion for you ? Is it the collecting...rebuliding....the scavenging....the riding?...Or is it all four? Like it is for me.

Deffinetly all 4 for me...and being to damn poor to afford a nice quad. Every since my first trike (82' 185S) I have been hooked. I don't think I could ever go to 4wheels now. People always ask me why I ride those instead of quads, I say they are tons more fun, handling is better, they do better donuts, you can wheelie all day with em... and they take more skill to ride than a quad, and more repect for the machine. Me and my buddies always get ripped on about riding trikes, but we know they are superior, they just dont know the thrill that trikes give you...either it be a 125M or a 250R, its a much better feel. Working on them is more than a nececity but its a hobbie.I think I speak for others in here as well when I say that. Its most deffietly a obbsesion :TrikesOwn

smyers33
01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I think a big part of it for me is reliving those great childhood memories. I grew up riding them and never forgot how much fun they were.. now my garage is full of them. HAhaha...

This darn website just adds fuel to the fire.. :D

So true!:w00t:

Banage
01-20-2007, 10:57 AM
i find them safer then a 4 wheeler, i have less pain, and dont get stuck as much and to see faces when people see them, a lot of people are mad untill you take the time to stop and talk to them, and they all used to have one. And the others that think they are out lawd, NOT

nouseforaname90
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
For me its just something my dad started. He bought a 200ES Big Red when I was 9/10ish and I rode that thing for hours on end. I found these forums shortly after, and fell in love. I always dreamed of having a 350X or 250R or a Tri-Z or even a Tecate, but I knew I'd never have one. So then my dad got another Big Red and a 185S, which made me crave speed even more. That 185S was a quick little bugger! After that, I found my SX and that was the last straw.. I was hooked. I modded the SX and made it to suit my style. After wrenching on that SX for awhile, I decided it was time to move up. We found a 250R and it was MINE. Then it came time to figure out what I wanted to do for my senior project.. restore a 3 wheeler, DUH! That is when I bought my 350X. After that, I bought a Tri-Z (after an all-day trip there and back.. man I was drooling by the time I got home.. I couldn't stand seeing that thing on the trailer and not being able to ride it). So who knows what I will buy next.. but now my garage contains 6 3 wheelers and a TON of parts, plastics, tires, etc. My dad even wants me to buy a shed to put in our yard to hold all of my toys lol. I'm never going to sell my trikes and I'll always keep collecting them!! Trikes RULE.

trikes4life
01-20-2007, 01:21 PM
my dad bought a 200s in 84, i was born in 87. he never let me drive it but i sat on the front and held on to the handel bars, until i was 7, then rode on the back. then my uncle said i could learn to ride if i was intrested on his 87 200sx quad. then i was hooked, had the addiction of riding. i loved to ride, 20 hours a week i would ride at the age of 8. then my bads buddy bought a tecate, never saw one before i was like is it fast. he looked at my weird and said would u like to take a ride with me. i was like shure. i tell u what 4 being 8 years old, i was scared shitless. ripping down the street wot. I was speachless, we moved to a new house, i seen arial view of the property and i saw a huge oval race track behind it and i was like what the hell was it. Went to the the house i walked straight out back and there was an half mile crush and run horse racing track the used for practiceing. i was like where moving in, and we bought it. the 200s hasn't been runing in years have been sitting since i was 8 and now 11. i told my dad i want to buy the 200s off him and fix it he said no. it need a recoil, he went out and bought one at honda dealer. 200.00. got it running and he still didn't let me ride it and i stoll it when he wash at work. I was learning how to ride for like 6 months, he never new. One day i asked him to ride, hes like u dont know how to ride. i was like wanna bet jumped on it and rode it like i stole it. rode it hard for years didn't know how to up keep it. put car oil in it and burn't the clutch out. tires went flat, broke all the fenders off. burnt the brakes up doing breake stands. then it finaly died the he is like find how to fix. fix it i cant. i am dump as a rock. then i found u guys and life change from there. had i workining in two hours. then i sold my go kart and split the money 3 ways bought two trikes, brother bought a trike, and one of my buddies on here he got two bikes givin to him. Out performing on quads is the best thing ever, cheap and easy matience.

84honda200s
01-20-2007, 02:18 PM
that is another reason i switched from sleds to atc. the trike parts are allot cheaper than sled parts. however i am still learning on how to fix the 4 stroke engines. its is allot different than 2 strokes that is for sure. but thanks to this site and all its people i have learned allot about the 4 stroke.

82'185s
01-22-2007, 03:45 AM
well for me its everything, but its all nick_r_23's fault he found a 1982 185s and i was beggin him to let me buy it, and it was all down hill from there.
I also think its kinda cool when people stop at the gas station with a trailer full of BRAND NEW machines and they are all so focused on me doin cookies with my 25 year old ATC how many of you notice that eveyone always stares in aw

but i think its funny when my friends dad talks my 185s down saying how crappy and unsafe they r, and i just tell him well first off its way better on gas, its faster than his arctic cat 500 and mine has lasted 20+ years and his wont even last 10 if hes lucky(hes gone thru like 3 quads in the 6 years ive known them)

russell56443
01-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Yeah I like the stares and (Arnt those Outlawed)questions,cant wait to go to the next family gathering!!!!
I havnt told my trike relatives about my R yet:naughty:
One of them has a 85 R and Ive never seen him ride it,another relative said he rides like a little girl lololol,cant wait to go!!!!

BigReds Forever
01-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Well, my big red was my first atv/motorcycle/seld...anything. I bought it from a friend for 200$, spent a summer trubleshooting and fixing, and then road the crap out of it. I also have memories of my dad driving my grampas 185s around with me in his lap, said it was the absolute best way to put me to sleep, just drive me around the yard on the trike. I like their handeling, abilitys, and just the fun factor, also their cheaper than new quads. oh ya, there also easier to work on than the new stuff to, I like that fact that i can just screw off a cap and adjust the valves, insted of taking off the....
-front rack, front grill, front plastic, front bumper, skid plate, disconect the battery, winch, seat, tank, fule lines, side covers, shifter, dash, and headlights
just to check the valves (dads kodiak 450)

Pretty much, trikes rule, Long live the trike!

bigreddaddy
01-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Those are some great stories.

For me it started back in the 80's when my best friends uncle gave him his 185S. We were both about 13 or so in the early '80's. We rode the crap out of that thing every chance we got for years. One time I even flew off a gravel road right into a bayou (canal). Flipped the trike, I went head first. We got my truck and pulled it out and she cranked right up! I thought for sure I had destroyed it.
After a while I was able to buy my own trikes. The first was a Yammy Tri-Moto 175 2-stroke. Fun as hell. I sold it then bought a 1984 250R. That thing was so fast most of my friends were too scared to ride it. Sold it later down the road (damn!).
Then about 15 years later or so I bought a 200X. I worked so much at the time and also just had my baby boy I went ahead and sold it.
Now, last September '06 I bought 2 trikes to fix up for me and my son (now 6 years old). A 1980 110 and a 1985 250es. I found this board and now I have those trikes as runners, and also have more trikes to work on (see sig.).
For me it's a lot like the rest of you. I love to find a basket case and make it a runner. There is just something about these old Honda ATC's that I just Love. I do a LOT more wrenching than riding, but thats okay. It's a GREAT HOBBY!

BigGreenMachine
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
First thing I ever rode on was our YTM200, first thing I ever drove myself was our YTM200. Loved it, remember riding in the mud by myself in the trails around home.

Well that machine passed and I was surprised to see a green trike being towed up around my house by dad and my big bro riding it. Fell in love, knew it was fast. My bro kept telling me it was faster then the Warrior 350 of his friends. I remember seeing him whip that thing around in our driveway and then thought dang, the trike must be awsome! It was his project but he only got as far as tearing it down.

Seven years passed and my bro had grown up and I was 18/19. He said I could have it and helped me with a lot of parts to rebuild it. I remember the first time it fired up and I got to ride it. WIcked!!

Love riding, more then I like wrenching but for sure the buildups are fun! Searching for rare parts, getting the new parts to fit your old machine...

I really need a ride, hate seeing my trike in peices.

Plans are already in my head for an 86 Tecate 500 and I'm putting my 85 back to a 250 based motor.

ClayW
01-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Well they use to be really cheap, and a lot of folks learned out to ride ATVs on them. My 2 cents.

the great gazoo
02-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I have to admit, it was 3WW that got me addicted. I've been riding trail bikes since the early 70's, got the quad bug 4 years ago. & had a TON of fun with them, but something was missing, HMMMMMM......... I Googled atc, or three wheeler, & found this site. I've never been the same-- In the 18 months since I discovered 3WW, I've owned(& might still own) '83 200X, a '86 200X, '85 250SX, '87 250SX, and a '85 125M. I'm surely addicted to this site :w00t: