PDA

View Full Version : Trikers with dirtbikes

Banage
01-19-2007, 08:12 PM
can you get as far as your trike on your bike? I had one 6 years ago, now i been missing it, and im thinking of getting a bike again. But, i need to keep up with the people i ride with. Whatta you think? could I keep up, or if i get one, should I find a biker crowd too?

cr480r
01-19-2007, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=MNRebel]can you get as far as your trike on your bike? QUOTE]

And then some. I find that 3-wheeler fits places that a quad doesnt, but a bike can do anything the rider will allow. Even in the snow a bike is more capable.

ride_red_95
01-19-2007, 09:40 PM
well i don't bout the snow part

85ytz250n
01-19-2007, 11:09 PM
I am currently looking at a xr400r, it isnt going to take away from my trike. I think that limiting yourself is just that, limiting. I ride a trike/quad/bike with equal ease and am just as comfortable on either or. I never hate on anyone, no matter what they are on. The fact that they are riding at all is something to celebrate, better for them and me. The very first thing that I rode with a motor was a little 70 that was ragged when we got it but we rode it until it literaly fell apart. Then I rode a friends little XR80, then back to three wheels with a yt125. Now I own a 400EX and a Z, and am going to look at a bike on Monday. The type of ride is what I use to decide what to ride, I like to have a choice on what I take riding. But its every man for themselves, that is just my opinion.

Barry

SYKO
01-19-2007, 11:53 PM
sometimes I miss my old motorcrossers, I may one day get back into the bikes, simply becouse I like there light weight, pure power and bitchin suspension, I used to love to open mine up then hit some trails, then fly of some jumps

ScottZJ
01-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Now that I got another dirt bike, I dont think I will ever get rid of or at least have one. There are just some terraines that are best for a bike and cant beat a nice single track. No worries about having huge holes that the quads dig up there, cuz they cant fit. So personally I like my bikes just as much as my trikes.

http://www.fototime.com/{81E0A1DA-A712-463A-9757-1EF5B86F86F2}/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/{1BD1F215-BEA1-4E93-8776-7017ECF67E97}/picture.JPG

cr480r
01-20-2007, 03:29 AM
well i don't bout the snow part

Thats what most people think...

Maico
01-20-2007, 07:19 AM
I've owned all of 'em. 2,3 and 4 wheelers. The 4's are gone and next week I'm picking up 3...yes 3, '86 Tecate T3's. My old trusty '85 CR 500 sits in the basement. The quads are cool,the 3's are cool too. But when I want balls out eye watering, arm yanking power...the CR 500 does it for me.

85ytz250n
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Scott that is one beast of a bike, never ridden a KTM but it definetly looks capable. Trying to get my hands on a 97 400R, I think 1100 is a fair price.

Barry

deathman53
01-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I have 2 dirtbikes, I love riding them. They are both street-legal, it wasn't too much pain. I ride them to work, local stuff and for ripping mosts quads a new one on trails. I think they are the best for trails, I have riddin them in snow.......and it is far easier to ride a trike in snow. I have a xr250r and ktm 450exc. I tried mx riding on dirtbikes and didn't like it.

md1985250r
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I ride with buddies who have 2 and 4 wheels(i also have 3 and 4 wheels)it just doesnt matter as long as you are having fun.I have been having a ton of fun on my 450r so the trike is getting dusty!!
So I say "to each their own , whatever you like to ride dude"!! Except to the dude who says bikes are more capable in the snow, to him I will say " you fell down and bumped your head". Oh wait you were probably riding in the snow!!! Because that is all a bike is more capable of doing in the snow is falling down!!:D
3 or 4 wheels is way more fun in the snow!:w00t:

Rennat_2006
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
I've got a 1991 KTM 540 2 stroke and my 1983 Honda ATC 110, kinda funny combination isnt it? lol

They both have their time and place but are both totally fun in the own way!

cr480r
01-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Except to the dude who says bikes are more capable in the snow, to him I will say " you fell down and bumped your head". Oh wait you were probably riding in the snow!!! Because that is all a bike is more capable of doing in the snow is falling down!!:D

I am talking about snow, not ice. I didnt say it was easier, but a bike will motivate through much deeper snow than a atv, I have proven this many times. Just because you cant ride a bike in snow doent mean someone else cant...

md1985250r
01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I never claimed to be able to ride a bike, fact of the matter is I have no desire to ride a bike .Nor did I say you cant ride a bike, I said a bike is NOT more capable in the snow. Now if you want to add in an additional statement that now the snow is deeper all of the sudden.....:rolleyes:just to justify your statement...so be it!!

Yamahondaman
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
i had BOTH ... 1994 YZ and the Banshee,ATC and the STRETCH TRI-Z .....(4)
The Dirt Bike was FASTER and Lighter....it ZIPPED up the Hill's real NICE !!
Jumped FARTHER,ETC..... I LIKE EM !!

cr480r
01-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I never claimed to be able to ride a bike, fact of the matter is I have no desire to ride a bike .Nor did I say you cant ride a bike, I said a bike is NOT more capable in the snow. Now if you want to add in an additional statement that now the snow is deeper all of the sudden.....:rolleyes:just to justify your statement...so be it!!

I am not try to justify anything. I know what I said and I meant it. This thread is about trikes and bikes, I am sorry i even brought up the snow. I only did because alot of people dont know how fun a bike can be in snow. If you dont agree thats fine, but why go and say I must have fell and bumped my head? Then come to find out you dont even ride bikes...

Yamahondaman
01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
UGH OH !!! Fight Club .......... :lol:

md1985250r
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
UGH OH !!! Fight Club .......... :lol:

no way man. not here for that. just stating my opinion , made a joke, and evidently offended cr480.wasn't intended to offend anyone .

ATCGENIUS
01-22-2007, 11:22 PM
You need both, I love to motocross and trail ride my trikes and bikes. I say buy you a bike and keep your same friends. The good thing is that when you buy a bike, you will naturally meet new people that ride dirtbikes. I believe that if you ride bikes and trikes, it will make you a better overall rider too.

Rennat_2006
01-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I think the moral of the story/stories is that they both are a blast in the own way and that is what counts!

Yeah my dirtbike is going to flat out rip, but my dirtbike cant be put into low gear and crawl up and out of ditches, canals, etc like my little 110 can.

crazy3wheeler82
01-23-2007, 04:56 AM
i think ya should be a nice guy and buy a bike for your friend thats serving in iraq for a welcome home present...

Banage
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
i think ya should be a nice guy and buy a bike for your friend thats serving in iraq for a welcome home present...

Geee Phill, that would make me a great guy wouldent it.

Im thinking mostly in mud. We all do a lot of trail riding, and you hit your fair share of mud holes. Some (if you dont believe me, come to the falls with me) I can get through on my trike that 4x4 wheelers cant. Its decided, I figure I can put a lite on it, somehow, and now the hard part, I gotta talk my wife into letting me buy one. And yes, thats one long run on sentence

crazy3wheeler82
01-23-2007, 11:15 AM
thats a great idea but i like what i sayed also you couls get a bike with a light on it ya know.

ceaserthethird
01-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Been thinking of buying a DirtBike - CR500 Would Work

90nut
01-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I personally am at home on anything. my first ride was a dirtbike, then trikes. My dad always had a 4x4 and I love that baby. I have had a few quads but I like to keep on 2 and 3 wheels.

Oh and as far as snow riding on a bike goes, I'm with cr480r on this one. Snow riding rules on a bike. My buddies and i have had amazing times out in the woods on our mx bikes in the snow. My favorite snow bike ever was my yz426f. That baby is like a tractor! I like trikes and quads in the snow but when you get stuck on one of them compared to a bike I'll choose getting stuck on the bike anyday.

Banage
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I was just out riding last night. We went trail riding and as much as I love my trikes, I miss my bike. I need one. Hehe. When we were out there we went out on the trails, and came accross a swamp. it was that black peet moss junk crap. The trikes made it through there but do you think a bike would? it was only about a foot and a half deep. half water half that dirt crap. Im worried that since I do a lot of swamp and mud riding the smaller tire will just dig in and i will be stuck all the time. cause I will be the only Bike.

bondoboy
04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I bought a 2000 xr400 brand new. It was the first year for red plastic. It was a great bike, but I am not a good bike rider. It sat taller than my buddy's cr250. I put on a cemoto cr style rear fender and a FMF power bomb header with a power core muffler. It had a lot of torque. I traded it on Christmas eve 2005 on a leftover trx450r. I'm just not good with the balancing on a bike!

fatcat
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
On my honda fatcat i crawl up hills that most dirtbikes have problems on. i love em.