PDA

View Full Version : What sandblaster do you all use?

jasonb01
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
A couple of people have told me that you need a huge compressor to get enough pressure for sandblasting effectively. I have a large compressor, but nothing like the body shops. Just a typical size. Can someone suggest a blaster that will run off of a normal sized compressor? I want to try to stay under $100. I see alot of you blast your parts for painting and I'm sure not everyone has body shop sized compressors. Thanks

edog
01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
You need volume and lots of horsepower to Sandblast at 110%.

It all depends on how much Sandblasting you plan on doing.

Yamahondaman
01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
the "BLACK MAX" from Sam's work's GOOD Pending on the size of the Blaster ...

jasonb01
01-19-2007, 09:26 PM
My compressor is similar to this one http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&pid=00916728000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes it is 2hp and one of the large uprights. I want to start off with the racks on my big red and eventually the frame and pretty much everything on my 250sx.

mnnmaz
01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
What sand blasting unit does everyone have?????

85 250sx
01-19-2007, 10:21 PM
i use a 50$ blaster from sears. But it doesnt come with a cabnet so i build my own out of scrap ply wood and put a 5$ plexy glass window i got at lowes in it and a 5$ tube light from walmart. it works great this way you can reuse your sand several times. and beleive me you want to cause the sand isnt too cheap

mnnmaz
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Cool can you send me a picture so I can make one....

jasonb01
01-19-2007, 11:40 PM
i use a 50$ blaster from sears. But it doesnt come with a cabnet so i build my own out of scrap ply wood and put a 5$ plexy glass window i got at lowes in it and a 5$ tube light from walmart. it works great this way you can reuse your sand several times. and beleive me you want to cause the sand isnt too cheap

That would be cool for small parts, but what if you wanted to do racks and such? Would I really need to locate someone with a very high powered compressor? Would I be wasting my money on a sandblaster with a normal sized compressor?

mnnmaz
01-20-2007, 11:27 AM
all you need is 120 psi and that would do everything you need.... just dont know what your asing for a high power compressor????? 120 will do everything as long as it a fast recovery compressor.... or it will just take you a little longer.

dizasterzrfun69
01-20-2007, 11:58 AM
well you need an air compressor with high CFM's the higher the number the faster it'll build pressure. I have a husky from homo-depot and its alright but it is ALWAYS running. One of the biggest problems is trying to keep moisture out of the sand/lines. If you get moisture then the sand wont come out for s***. I have my old mans sand blaster but its a 40lb pressurized blaster from harbor freight. I think it would work better if someone would use the aluminum oxide rather than the playsand from menards. Once I start working again im hoping to buy a big blast cabinet from harborfreight which comes with a sand blaster built in i believe.

Kevin

trikes4life
01-20-2007, 12:27 PM
We have one in my auto tech class, 4 small parts, the cabnet is skat blast. this thing is sweet for little things. we have huge air compressors (three, the size of a suburban) at boces, runs at a constant of 120psi. we had play sand in there, and blew monkey balls. so we put a new gun, and i think black diamond(sand or glass beads) this thing ripps metal a new *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* hole if not carfull, u have to becarefull of aluminum aslo. butt this think kits butt. u can get ones, that are not cabnets and use them in the drive way, i have never used this kind before.

85 250sx
01-20-2007, 03:47 PM
That would be cool for small parts, but what if you wanted to do racks and such? Would I really need to locate someone with a very high powered compressor? Would I be wasting my money on a sandblaster with a normal sized compressor?

the sand blaster doesnt realy matter i could sand a whole car if i felt like it, i just woulnt be able to use my cabnet and recycle my sand. The cabnet i built is decent sized i probly could fit racks in it though. if you built your cabnet you can make it as big as you want. to sand blast you can use any compressor you want but the bigger the tank the better. the bigger the tank its the longer you can run your blaster without the psi dropping. you can run a small compressor with a small tank but you would only be able to run it for like 10 sec. and have to take a break and wait for it to build pressure again.

85 250sx
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
mnnmaz shoot me an email and ill try and get you some pictures sometime this weekend