PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha TRI-Z 450

Derrick Adams
01-20-2007, 04:56 PM
This will be my Third time building an MX bike. I learned all the downfalls of the stock Z the first time around. I really planned and built a sweet 250R last year, but now I THINK I have it ironed out. I'm going for tons of torque and total modern suspension.

I'll finally be starting this project in a couple weeks. For now i'm doing a bunch of research and planning. The basic set-up is a 2004 YZ450F engine wedged into an 86 Tri-Z frame.

Since pretty much everything on the Z is not up to my standards for MX, we'll be changing everything but the frame. I went with the Tri-Z frame because of the extra tall engine bay to attempt to fit the 450 engine with minimal mods. I also like the fit of the Z as far as ergonomics compared to the R.

I'm going to drop the horrible footpeg design for a set of custom pro-pegs based off the Honda 450R stockers. I'll be losing the rear fuel tank and building some sort of top mount. A steering stabilizer is also on the list this time around.

As far as suspension goes, I picked up a set of YZ125 Inverts which we will be modifying to fit the Z. I'll mount those to some custom steel triples. Using forks that are 4 inches too long is no easy feat. Extensive research and modifications must be made to these to work correctly.

After contemplating rear suspension forever we found that the 06-07 450R rear swingarm is a good fit and has almost identical measurements as a stock Z swingarm. With that conversion i'll not only get the benefits of the lighter aluminum swingarm but a good concentric chain adjustment and better shock selection. I'll be reconstructing a top shock mount and lower linkage mount based on the 450R's geometry and adding a new 450R shock. I hope to make the whole rear end a true bolt on deal.

Here are my starter pictures. The frame will get blasted, cut, welded, modded, and then painted. The forks will also get modifyed and polished.

I'll update this thread as progress moves along.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/Z2.jpg

Russell 350X
01-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Sounds like an awsome project. I'd like to see how it comes out!

ProCarbine2k1
01-20-2007, 05:38 PM
looks like an awesome project.. hope you gusset the heck out of that frame!! that is a whole lot of motor for that thing... keep the pics coming as you continue to build!!

Dusty
01-20-2007, 05:41 PM
D glad to see your gonna get on this project...cant wait.....ohh and i need them 86 tripples...lol....let me know

deathman53
01-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I am builidng a mx trike mostly new too, I am having a frame made, using 450r pegs, mastercylinder and brake pedal. I gonna get inverted forks(ktm85sx) and have short track tripples made to fit those forks. Pm me if you want the phone number of the place that is doing my frame, as the stock frames really aren't stong enough to put a high-torque motor into, many many many trx250r frames crack to pieces when a yz400-450f motor is transplanted in. I would have a frame built to your specs, thats just me. I have a bad habit of cracking frames to pieces, now I am on my 3rd 250r frame and I am hoping this frame that is being made is gonna be my last frame. I have cracked my 86 200x frame also, that is next on my list for a new frame w/ 250r shocks and swingarm. I'm hoping the 2g's for the frame is money well worth it.

thefox
01-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Looks like a nice project Derrick. What made you pick the YZ125 forks? I was wondering about sport bike forks, I don't know what the measurements are but the R6 uses inverts that are fairly short; they might not have enough travel though. Just wondering if you (or anyone) have looked at street bike forks?

Derrick Adams
01-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Deathman, I looked into those KTM forks, but there just isn't any where to get fork springs heavy enough for me. Jason Hall and I have really spent alot of time studying all the forks out there and I'm pretty sure this is the route to go. There is unlimited spring selections for these forks (even for my 240lb butt) and any reputable suspension shop can set the valving.

Fox, we looked at Streetbike forks as well, but they simply aren't designed with enough travel or dampening to handle jumping like Deathman and myself do. Thanks for the tip though. I'll let you take it for a spin at TF.

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Awsome sounds like a good plan, hope u get it done for trike fest, cause i hope to have mine done also, we can give em a good ol drag race, my 450 runs pretty darn good, have jetted and DR.D exhaust, i know its way faster than my YFZ, now that is a bike but still. How big do u jump?? I know i have got some pretty good air for a trike i thought, which is posted on another thread under Helpin out a new member.

crazyflights
01-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Awsome sounds like a good plan, hope u get it done for trike fest, cause i hope to have mine done also, we can give em a good ol drag race, my 450 runs pretty darn good, have jetted and DR.D exhaust, i know its way faster than my YFZ, now that is a bike but still. How big do u jump?? I know i have got some pretty good air for a trike i thought, which is posted on another thread under Helpin out a new member. By Speedbump.

deathman53
01-20-2007, 07:04 PM
That looks cool, the bike frame is being used with a custom swinger and custom forks. I might have to do that next if it handles good on mx. Most bike conversions I have seen are too tall for mx.

Billy Golightly
01-20-2007, 07:23 PM
This looks like a pretty cool project Derrick! Interested in seeing how it turns out.

Rex Karz
01-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Do they make a clutch like that for the 250R? I know, stupid question...

Kintore
01-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Yah Buddy!

Sweet! See ya soon! :)

Derrick Adams
02-07-2007, 05:36 AM
I picked up my swingarm and rear axle assembly yesterday. The swingarm is an `06 450R unit and the axle is a Lonestar +4 with an antifade lock nut and Billet rotor.

I also ordered my new front and rear fenders. I went with yellow in back and black up front. Kind of like the new 50th ann. edition 450's.

Next thing i'm hunting for is a carrier and rear brake set-up. Then the whole mess is heading for Jason Halls place in about 2 weeks.

350xBomb
02-07-2007, 06:47 AM
are you using the yfz or yzf 426?

Tri-Z 250
02-07-2007, 10:56 AM
So what year was the 426? Are you parting it out? I like the idea of the power plant as you know my other bike is an 01' 426. Was converting the 426bike to much of an unknown to go that route? I've looked but I haven't heard much about the handeling when you convert the bike. The swingarm is an issue to save the rear link and shock. If you custom make triple clamps is the rake need to be adjusted. Mocking up and making a subframe might be the most straight forward fab on the list of things, off the top of my head. Hows the pipe fitting? I don't get the reason for the 450R swinger? Are you refabing the mount location? How bad was the 86Z swinger and link? I keep watching for progress!

Derrick Adams
02-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Thats alot of questions there.lol. I'm using an `04 450F. The reason I went with the 450R swingarm is because the it pretty much bolts right on, the stock stuff is crap, and the Honda rear suspension geometry is far superior. I will be building a whole new upper shock mount to use the 450R shock. I wanted an aluminum swinger to save on weight and the Honda parts are cheaper to purchase.

There are people that prefer the dirtbike frame conversions out there, but I am building an MX bike and need the added ground clearance of the trike frame.

Tri-Z 250
02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry, I'm just interested in your project...didn't mean to bombard you bro. Do you still have the rims and hubs from that 01'YZf ? Looking forward to your project Derrick thanks for doing this one.

Derrick Adams
02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Picked up the rear tires last night. I'll be running several different sets but these will probably be my main ones. 18x11x10 Fast Trekkers on ITP 190's.

jsimonh
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
This is a sweet project! I'm looking forward to seeing some more :pics: .

Derrick Adams
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, I finally picked up my last major piece of the puzzle. After scouring the internet for weeks I finally located an engine. I had originally intended to go with a 426 but they are hit and miss lately, so I ended up finding a 2004 YZ450F engine.

This particular engine is fresh from top to bottom. It came out of a SuperMoto bike. Included dyno sheet shows 54hp.

I also picked up the matching carb for it. Still need an ignition set-up.

Last thing I picked up today was a Douglas Red label front rim and hub assembly. Stole that one on ebay! I needed a silver front wheel anyhow so the hub and tire were a bonus.

Really down to the nity grity now. Aside from a rear brake caliper, the rest of the stuff is minor.

200xcellent
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
i love you

Derrick Adams
02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
i love you

LOL, I love you too little buddy.

team-red-rider
02-12-2007, 11:08 PM
r u in the future? its not the 14th lol

Chevy200s
02-13-2007, 10:06 AM
wow:drool: that thing is gonna be insane dude. Before finding this website I never would have seen the day that people would be building up trikes like this. Looking forward to seeing more pics and also seeing at trikefest. Good luck man

Tri-Z 250
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
01' 426 was a nada eh? Oh well 54hp sounds good. Now what about a pipe? Have you called HMF yet? You know their local right? Take your #1 plate and asked for a sponcership they might be interested. If I owned them and you walked in with your project and past race history. I think I might let you bring your bike in for a fitting. Just a thought....keep pluggin away man!

Derrick Adams
02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't think it hasnt crossed my mind. I've got a good friend at Houser too. But, sadly there isn't much market in pipes or swingarms for one-off projects like this.

The owner of the engine said he had FMF exhaust on it. Probably the megabomb pipe. The plan is to pick up a stocker and mock it all up, then swap to an FMF headpipe later. At this point I'm looking toward trying to fit the LTR450 center mount muffler on it. All stainless steel and a good buy on ebay. Generally around $20. Plus it will really provide a good look. Only time will tell if its possible though.

atctim
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
D-

You are getting pretty handy at this type of build. I have got to get together with you (and my checkbook) sometime and get going on a spec built MX trike for my large framed self. I have a pretty good idea, the 84R will kind of be out-leagued going up against you and some of the OTC projects I see coming out - not to mention the "Canadian Sensation" piloting last years #1 plate machine!

Nice work my friend!

Derrick Adams
02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I just picked up my front tire for the bike. I liked the look and function of the 21" tire I ran on last years bike, but I wanted to get away from the 10" rim because I want to run the big dirtbike brake rotor. Seeing Speedbump do stoppies on his bike last year has me craving that big brake.

Anticipating an 11" front Douglas wheel I did some research and found the closest thing I could. This is a Dunlop 22x7x11. Looks like it will work out just fine.

Dirtcrasher
02-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Simply NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derrick Adams
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
My new rear fenders arrived today. Custom Yellow Maiers. These should really add a modern look to the bike and match all the other upgrades perfectly. I also picked up a new Black 250R front fender to go with it. I'm going after the 50th anniversary look. Yellow, Black, and White.

BigReds Forever
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
that tire looks like a front raptor stocker, sweet build

Tri-Z 250
02-22-2007, 06:20 PM
D. are you fabbing the tank and air box? Your kicking the intake out the back right? Whats your luck been like with the exh pipe? You gotta get some big Bob Hannah BOLTZ for the fenders man! I love that retro look too. NICE

viper
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
any more new progress on the bike ?

Derrick Adams
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Everything is here at the house now. Heading to Halls Performance this weekend. I'm working on a mold for some custom radiator shrouds right now. Going for a more modern look for them similar to the YFZ rad. shrouds.

I also have the mold made for the airbox cover already. IF everything goes right, I will make these parts out of some carbon fiber samples I have at work.

Should have some pictures and updates next week.

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 09:18 AM
We got some time to start putting parts together today. The swingarm turned out to bolt-on with no modifications at all. If you have a Z and want to install one of these 450R swingarms it will take a little work, but it's definately possible!

To use this swingarm, we are going to have to use the Honda swingarm bolt, which is a smaller diameter. So we are going to make some weld-in collars for the frame. If you were to do this to a Z with a stock engine, you would also have to make a spacer for the rear of the engine.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/tri-z%20build/zassembly1.jpg

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Fits real nice!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/tri-z%20build/Zassembly2.jpg

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Next we attempted to fit the engine in the frame. There is going to be some extensive modifications to the frame for it to fit correctly, but as you can see it's VERY close! It literally sat right in.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/tri-z%20build/Zassembly4.jpg

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Last thing we tryed last night was to mock up the engine with the swingarm and check for sprocket alignment. Obviously final positioning needs to be done, but this bike is falling together really easily.

3leggeddog
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
sweet deal doggy.looks like she is gonna go together no sweat.thats not even a challenge for jason!

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I have a very minor list of parts left to purchase for the project to get everything bolted together. Once these parts are secured we can finish the fabrication and move on to powder coat and final assembly.

SYKO
03-04-2007, 09:33 AM
um....is the nitrous kit for when you need that "extra" push to clear tripples?

edog
03-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Like the way the motor fits in the frame.

Bryan Raffa
03-04-2007, 12:07 PM
ya gonna be able to change the plug? try a banshee shifter it should be the right length your lookin for. Keep us posted on the collars for the swinger.
Im have been lookin into doing the same thing but with a 2000 and up 2stroke motor for next year.

3WheelsForever
03-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Looking good Derrick, you putting some inverts on the front?

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
We're going to relocate the top frame tube to accomodate the engine and tank better. Not only do I have to be able to change the plug, but the coil is built right into the plugwire!

Virgil, the inverts are being modified right now. I'll have those on in the next couple weeks.

sandpuppi101
03-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Derrick ,does it look kike you are gonna have any issue's with the headpipes hitting the downtubes? Also the chian alingment ,does that look like it's gonna be relatively easy ? It look's like it's gonna be a very nice conversion,and another thing ,I see on your list you are putting on a bottle.Are you hooking it up to hit ,with the throttle ??

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 01:25 PM
The headpipe dropped right in behind the frame perfect. No issues. Matter of fact I think a stock YFZ exhaust will fit without any mods. Chain alignment is fine as well. Like I said it fits real well!

P.S. you weren't supposed to know about the nitrous.

OZQUAD44
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Nice lookin project so far, looks like it may even top the CR250 conversion if it all comes together.

Is the 450R swinger longer or shorter than the tri-Z swinger?

Were do you race MX on a trike in 2007? is it just at Trikefest or are there other places to race?

Cheers

Trikeaholic
03-04-2007, 03:25 PM
you want to sell that Rupp sled???

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 03:54 PM
That sled is at Jasons, you'd have to ask him. lol

We still have multiple racing series for trikes here in Ohio. So I'll race this bike in no less than 20 races this season.

The 06-07 450R swinger is exactly the same length as the stocker.

Bigbore
03-04-2007, 09:14 PM
We got some time to start putting parts together today. The swingarm turned out to bolt-on with no modifications at all. If you have a Z and want to install one of these 450R swingarms it will take a little work, but it's definately possible!

To use this swingarm, we are going to have to use the Honda swingarm bolt, which is a smaller diameter. So we are going to make some weld-in collars for the frame. If you were to do this to a Z with a stock engine, you would also have to make a spacer for the rear of the engine.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/tri-z%20build/zassembly1.jpg

Why don't you just use oil impregnated bronze bushings in the swingarm instead of bearings? You can turn the bushings to the right O.D. and I.D. and not have to worry about modifying the frame or the need for any spacers for the motor.

Derrick Adams
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
We did discuss that. But we figured since the bearings are brand new, we might as well use them.

SpeedBump
03-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Derrick, SAWEEEET! Jason, just found out...my forks will NOT work. Gonna sell em, and buy some others that will. When I get them, I'll send em out. Gotta unload these ones first. Oh ya, look for a package with something else in it... a new OEM take off YFZ450 silencer for the project. I'll square up with D on the shipping later. The pipe is free! Nite all!

Tri-Z 250
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Derrick how you gonna kept it cool? I messured my Z's rads compaired to the YZ426f and the bikes are larger. Its just for moto so idle time would be low I guess. Is that a wait and see what works?

Derrick Adams
03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Time will tell I guess. They run these engines in all sorts of quads with stock radiators, but don't know about how these will work. If need be, I can order a custom set of thicker ones.

OZQUAD44
03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Hows it comming along, any more Pix?

Chevy200s
03-09-2007, 09:52 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/tri-z%20build/Zassembly4.jpg

Looks really good so far, definlty keep us updated with the pics. I'm excited to see this one at trikefest too. I hope I didnt miss this if you mentioned it but are planning on strengthening the frame or does it need it? nice work man.

and as always I'm extremely jealous of that rupp nitro Jason:drool: :drool: :lol:

slothminx
03-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe Xowner could run up a set of bushings that will allow it to be "bolt in" ;)

Very very nice project D. I cant wait to see how this runs, I think its going to be intense! Alot of cool ideas. :beer:

BigGreenMachine
03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
My new rear fenders arrived today. Custom Yellow Maiers..

What are they from? A Blaster?

Derrick Adams
03-09-2007, 09:04 PM
What are they from? A Blaster?

They're for my Tri-Z silly! They are actually custom maier units for a Banshee.

Yamahauler
03-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey, that old rusty bottom you had in there..how is the 3rd transmission gear...I really need one! PM me if you have it.

I really want to see how that 450 swing arm is going to work, Is it longer than a stock Z one? I think that is what I will end up doing.

Thanks

BigGreenMachine
03-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Cool, was wondering what they were off. Know maier makes custom for the blaster as well as the shee. Should look great!

SpeedBump
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Big D, shoot me your addy...I got your pipe packed up and ready to GO!!!

BTW, any more updates?

Derrick Adams
04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Here's a quick snapshot of where we're at right now. Just for an update.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/yz450zlftmtrclup.jpg

SpeedBump
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Cool, mo :pics:

sandpuppi101
04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
She's looking really nice Derrick,I can't wait to see it when she's done..

BigGreenMachine
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Keep us posted, how about some more pics of where your at with it!

Derrick Adams
04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Today I dropped off the plastics to have the graphics kit designed. They said it would take two weeks (which is exactly how much time I have till the season starts)

Going for a look like the 50th anniversary YFZ.

Also ordered some Galfer wave rotors.

Mosh
04-13-2007, 05:59 PM
This is going to be a bad machine D.Did you ever come up with a shroud set-up?

Derrick Adams
04-13-2007, 06:40 PM
We had to make some radiator changes so my shrouds are going to be one-offs now. Aiming for some YZ inspired ones for this bike. Who knows at this point I guess. Find out when I actually set down and start carving foam.

BigGreenMachine
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey Derrick, how much is this Tri-Z450F costing you?

Derrick Adams
04-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Hahahaaa. Let's just say I could be riding around on a brand new YFZ450 right now.

BigGreenMachine
04-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Thats enough of an answer for me, figured as much. Good stuff!!

torker
04-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Derick: Please, show a pic of the other side.
I'm dying to see how the exhaust fits.

TORKER.

Derrick Adams
04-22-2007, 12:36 PM
As soon as I get the rest of the exhaust on there i'll post a picture.

torker
04-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks!!!

TORKER.

Tri-Z 250
04-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Is the link fabed in or did it bolt right up? It looks like the top mount didn't change. Am I'm not seeing it right? If that swinger just bolts up and I can use my Axis shock (stock size), I'm switchin over. Looking great don't let the clock get to you....Your gonna want a good shakedown run before you hit the starting line.

Jason Hall
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
The only thing that's In It's origional spot Is the swingarm bolt location. The top shock mount & lower link were moved to the 450r location.

Tri-Z 250
04-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Ahh I thought as much, just real tuff to tell with the photos. thanks

Derrick Adams
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Here's a shot of some test fitting of some shrouds. Since the CR80 shrouds are a little different from left side to right side, i'm going to pick up a set of 125 shrouds to attempt to modify. Looks like I can make them work though. I originally intended on just making a set of custom shrouds, but after thinking about it. I think modding a readily available set is the way to go. That way I can replace them easy when they get scratched up.

SpeedBump
04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Here's a shot of some test fitting of some shrouds. Since the CR80 shrouds are a little different from left side to right side, i'm going to pick up a set of 125 shrouds to attempt to modify. Looks like I can make them work though. I originally intended on just making a set of custom shrouds, but after thinking about it. I think modding a readily available set is the way to go. That way I can replace them easy when they get scratched up.

I got some you can have, buddy. They are 250s, but I think they are the same. If ya want em...gimme a call. Later:beer

Derrick Adams
05-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Jason just about has the forks and triples finished. Here's a shot of them before welding. The springs aren't in the forks so they are compressed. Not that short. lol

Jason does awesome work, huh?!!!

3leggeddog
05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
looking sweet unk!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't wait to ride her

torker
05-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Derrick: Where are those fork Off of? KTM?

TORKER.

Derrick Adams
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Torker, the forks are from a YZ125. We shortened them to fit the Z.

Current status is, fabrication finished. Time for final break down and paint/polish.

Come see the finished product on Saturday at Trikefest!!!:welcome:

200xcellent
05-23-2007, 09:28 PM
that looks wicked!

Kintore
05-23-2007, 10:55 PM
That thing is so awesome Derrick, I cant wait to see it or maybe even ride it???

I want to drag it! :)

Chevy200s
05-24-2007, 03:39 AM
dang, that thing looks awesome. theres really nothing like seeing a modern day three wheeler, with all the newer stuff on it like it would have been built by one of the big companies. Awesome work man, cant wait to see it at trikefest

SpeedBump
05-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Torker, the forks are from a YZ125. We shortened them to fit the Z.

Current status is, fabrication finished. Time for final break down and paint/polish.

Come see the finished product on Saturday at Trikefest!!!:welcome:

What? We can't see it until Sat? You will be there Thursday...gonna keep it under a sheet or something? Goof!:lol:

Bryan Raffa
05-24-2007, 06:51 AM
that front end looks really good D! how do you have thoes shrouds on there?

Billy Golightly
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Looks awesome!

atctim
05-24-2007, 02:35 PM
SWEET MOSES! Looks awesome Derrick.

Can Not Wait to see it painted and polished.

Have you rode it yet? If so - how's she pull?

mnnmaz
05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
That is one BAD MOFO!!!!!!!!!!!! How does she handle, can you keep the front down? Is it sick fast??

WE NEED MORE PICTS :)

ONE BAD MOFO! This should be stickie its way toooooo sweeeeeett!

cr480r
06-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Did you end up using the gsxr stabilizer? If so how did it work?

LonesomeTriZ
06-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Be sure to post some photographs when you return. I can not go to Trikefest to see it.

350Xhilaration
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48741&d=1182705694

LonesomeTriZ
06-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Sweeeeet...:drool:

3Wheelers4Life
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
looks great!!! :drool:

crazyflights
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I think it looks great Derrick, also very nice to meet you at trikefest, by far the best trike i think i have ever rode, may need to huit u up for a pair of tripple clamps like those.

Darius1502
06-27-2007, 03:02 AM
Derrick,

I was freaking out at the pictures of that thing. Amazing work!

I am in awe! Please keep us posted...we need to create a kit or something so that folks can start producing these.

Very impressive!

Tri-Z 250
06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Glad to see you got the oil line prob figured out. Hows the hand? Were you able to ride at the fest? I'll see ya around and can't wait to ride with(OTC) ya' all.

OZQUAD44
07-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Nice work Bloke

So how about a ride review. How does it compare to to a R

Dirtcrasher
10-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey Derrick, I know this is an older post but I just had a few questions...

What did you end up using for an airbox? Your TRX resevoir looked fixed and I wasn't sure if there was room for an airbox.

The forks - Are the upper legs the same diameter throughout here length? I almost bought a pair of CRF inverts but the uppers were tapered and I think you guys shortened the top half and not the bottom as you will end up loosing travel if you shortened the lower halfs. How much did you have to cut them? I also wondered how you got that cut measurement without riding it first? Or maybe you just got things together temporary and were able to slide things up and down a bit before you decided a final front end height.

I'd enjoy a more in depth post on the actual process of shortening the legs and the threads created, clip grooves or any boring that was required.

I believe you made the triples from steel and built the rake into them? Steel is heavier but lots easier to weld and expirement with.

My 86 200X really handles well, almost comparable to a 250R but I never rode a Tri-Z. It also has a good size engine cradle. I've been thinking about building something for awhile and now that my lathe is running and I just got a mill I think I can put something together.

You guys really did an incredible job on this build. Lots of people want to swap this and that but the trike either never get done, handle like crap or they don't end up looking smooth in the end like this one does. More of us need attempt builds like this using newer parts as our stuff isn't going to be there forever.

Have you thought about any changes in this one? I read about your wish for a larger tank but was there anything else you would have done?

Thanks for any help.

bigpimpin
12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Jason just about has the forks and triples finished. Here's a shot of them before welding. The springs aren't in the forks so they are compressed. Not that short. lol

nice bike. how did you mount the front brakes? what did you use for a hub?

bigpimpin
12-23-2007, 06:36 PM

nice bike. how did you mount the front brakes? what did you use for a hub?

Derrick Adams
12-25-2007, 09:05 PM
We used an 86 250R hub and fabricated a mount for the rotor. Brakes are factory YZ125.

Derrick Adams
07-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Just an update to this thread.

I recently updated some things on this machine to improve the overall feel of it, for me. I decided to raise the subframe to match my 450R quad more closely to ease in transition from one to the other. I also wanted to add bigger radiators and full length shrouds to protect my legs from the bruises i've been getting, coming from smashing into the frame rails while turning.

So, here it is. This info is a repeat from another thread but I figured I would keep it in this one as well.

Upgraded to:
YFZ450 aluminum subframe
YFZ450 rear plastics and seat
CRF450 radiators

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/0610082259.jpg

torker
07-05-2008, 08:06 PM
What can I say Derrick, I'm speechless :drool: :drool: :drool:
And your plastic working ability???? Amazing...
How do you do that??? Keep that great work up!!!

TORKER.

The Goat
05-02-2009, 05:48 AM
I just noticed the subframe...you know know, all that alluminum sure does make me think.

have you had any issues with it bending or stress cracks?

papamo76
02-15-2010, 03:21 PM
:wonderinglove the shrouds on the 450 where do i get them!

Today I dropped off the plastics to have the graphics kit designed. They said it would take two weeks (which is exactly how much time I have till the season starts)

Going for a look like the 50th anniversary YFZ.

Also ordered some Galfer wave rotors.

OZQUAD44
02-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Derrick this picture is way old, do you have something more recent. Perhaps from some different angles?

Louis Mielke
02-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Derrick actually sold this bike.

volfan537240
02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
:wonderinglove the shrouds on the 450 where do i get them!

x2 on the shrouds.id like to know what kind they are.

bzerk
03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
if you are talking about the yellow ones i bought them from him and they are modded yz 250/450 shrouds the blue ones should be the same

volfan537240
03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
how much modding do you have to do to make them fit?

bzerk
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
you have to make your radiator brackets match the wholes in the fender and also cut half the fender off diagonally my spelling sucks

volfan537240
03-17-2010, 10:21 PM
one last question about the radiator shrouds lol. what years of the yz 250/450 did these shrouds come on?

Derrick Adams
03-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Those shrouds came from an 06-09 YZ250F/450F. It will be hard to find used yellow ones though. New they were $35 each.

ama009
04-14-2015, 11:48 PM
I hate to throw in a question and bring this back from the dead after 5 years, but I didn't notice any frame gusseting on this setup. Can Derrick please let me know if any gussets were added on this? or does the tri z fram not need any? Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Hall
05-02-2015, 06:15 PM
The frame on this 3 wheeler was modified in the rear shock area, engine cradle, footpeg area, and many other spots. So it had a Lot of gusseting.