PDA

View Full Version : how to stud tires

samplefarm
01-22-2007, 07:43 AM
i have been reading that people have studded their tires. I was just wondering what they use and how they do it.

atcfreak85
01-22-2007, 08:10 AM
You would use tire studs that can be purchased at any local dealer or online. They kind of look like screws and you just drive them into your tire with a screw gun.

sandpuppi101
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Pick your tire's and get some Cold Cotters they are called,And a drill with 8 or 9mm I believe,can't remember socket on the end,it's kinda like studding a track on a sled as far as how many to put in.It all depends on the size tire,I use 18's + How you wanna slide + the size of your machine and what it will pull . I have been iceracing the past few years on my 250R and now gonna race my 350X so you just have to figure out what your selected machine can handle using the formula above.Then there's directions of studs and patterns and dimensions.Alot of stuff!!!

Banage
01-23-2007, 11:24 AM
what I did was got some knobby tires, made a arrow going all the way out every 2 knobs down, repeating the arrow pattern, just using hex head sheet metal screws, I cant remember the size, but deeper the better without going through. and one tire never leaked, the other needed a can of fix a flet after a couple got riped out from riding on the road. worked great, never sliped on the ice, the bad news, no doughnuts

Bryan Raffa
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
1/4 inch hex bit or a just the adapter for a phillips hex bit is also 1/4"
cold kutters are the best out there, if there going to be permant ice tire's I recomend haveing the screws go all the way through, They hold better. The tires i have done go all the way through and have not lost one psi yet in over 2 years

Billy Golightly
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Sheet metal screws in an X pattern for me. No predrilling or anything. Just screw em on in. Mine do go all the way through the tire also, about a half inch sticking through on the inside. I had to use a lot of slime at first but now they hold air for weeks without leaking. None have ripped out either, and I've ran them on my 500R numerous times.

250r'en +TCB
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Sheet metal screws in an X pattern for me. No predrilling or anything. Just screw em on in. Mine do go all the way through the tire also, about a half inch sticking through on the inside. I had to use a lot of slime at first but now they hold air for weeks without leaking. None have ripped out either, and I've ran them on my 500R numerous times.
They do a lot of ice racing in Florida Billy??? :lol: But seriously where did you ride ice man??

Billy Golightly
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
No Ice! Does wonders on grass and hard packed clay though :D

84honda200s
01-23-2007, 03:14 PM
i hear of people using sled studs allot. but i like billy's idea a little more. its cheaper and as he said no pre drilling. to really stop air leaking put cilacone caulk on the inside on the heads of the screws. you may still need goop but not as much.