PDA

View Full Version : how do you ship a motor?

rugabugadouglas
01-28-2007, 03:26 PM
whats the best way to ship a motor fairly cheap? how do you box it and who is the best carrier for this? thanks doug:D

team-red-rider
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
i was gonna say we could ship like we did with the fuel tank?

200x Basket
01-28-2007, 03:33 PM
i get a boxk that is about 3" bigger then the engien all the way around. then slice more boxes up and line the inside of the good box. you want atleast 1" of cardboard all the way around. the key is to pack the engine tight so it does not move around. then duct tape the box and ship it fed ex or ups ground.

team-red-rider
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
hey doug that motor comes with wiring and carby righty?

rugabugadouglas
01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
i dont have wire or carb but ill give ou all the parts i have for it and yes we can do like the fuel tank if you want

team-red-rider
01-28-2007, 03:51 PM
im going to check on cost to ship with ups usps fed ex and dhl. pm sent

Bigbore
01-28-2007, 04:18 PM
If you’re going to ship a motor DON'T use a cardboard box! If it leaks anything UPS will discard it! That’s right, throw it away!

Go to home depot and buy an $8.00 Rubbermaid Plastic tote. They come with a lid. Pad the bottom with foam, put the motor in and fill the rest of the area with foam peanuts. Put the lid on and drill around the outside with a .250 (1/4") about every 6" and use zip-ties to secure the top down.

The way I'd want my motor shipped to me is in cooler wrapped in foam and the top banded with metal banding straps.

Don't go cheap to save a couple of bucks! I know... I bought a YZF 426 motor for $1,800. It wasn't packaged good and someone at UPS dropped the container and the oil drain plug area in the case broke out. It cost me $396 for the case halves and $600 to have the cases split and everything put back together. And for you guys asking why didn't I go and file a claim with UPS for the damage... I did. The turned down the claim and said if it had been packaged correctly it wouldn't have broke. The guy that I bought it from said "it wasn't his problem and if I didn't like it sue him". POS! I want to shoot him, it’s cheaper. So now I have a $2,800 YZF 426 motor that’s worth $1,400.

Trike Dude
01-28-2007, 05:41 PM
your best bet is to find a strong cardboard box. Then put at least 3-4" minimum of foam board(absolutely no peanuts. they are wrothless on heavy items) on the bottom and all sides. Leave enough rooom at the top for a few sheets of foam board.

Now, drain all your fluids and place the motor in a strong plastic back or several heavy duty trash bags. Now set the motor down in the box.

Next get several cans of spray foam insulation and fill up the entire bottom of the box around the motor until it will not shift around. Now place some foam or bubble wrap in around the top end then place your faom board on the top and secure w/ quality packing tape.

The key is to make sure there is zero movement inside your box.

I suggest fedex ground as UPS is almost a shoe in for damaging what ever you ship.

I shipped my 400cc Pilot motor like this w/ no problems at all.

dgould
01-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I ship my motors like Trike Dude, with strong cardboard boxes, double boxed and with foam board and pack paper all around the motor so it can't move any. I shipped a 98lb 350x motor the other day with dhl and it cost $55 and they came to my door and picked it up.