PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my ford C6 transmission

mnsstuff
01-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I just bought a 1988 Ford F150 with a 351 and a C6 Transmission. The problem is it has a really bad delay shifting into 2nd and 3rd but if you shift it with the shifter it will shift fine.I have changed the modulator valve and the hose going to it because it had fluid going through it but that didnt help.Any help would be great I really dont wanna have to change the tranny if I dont have to and im not much of a transmission guy so I dont know where else to look.....Thanks.....

SWIGIN
01-30-2007, 01:21 AM
id throw a shift kit in it, i used a napa shift kit and i like it better then any big name kit iv used. it was under $30 a few years ago.

it wont make a worn out tranny feel like new but if you just have a dirty valve body it will fix you up

ATC crazy
01-30-2007, 01:31 AM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/

Good luck!

ATC crazy
01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/

Good luck!

mnsstuff
01-30-2007, 05:30 AM
Im going to pick up a shift kit tomarrow.Oreilly's has one for $26.99 and it sounds fairly easy to put in.It is made by Pioneer im not sure how good it is but its the only thing i can find without having to order it.I will post back when i get it in and let you know if it works...Thanks for the help...

200X Racer
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
What exactly does the shift kit do?

200x Basket
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
i would change the fliud and filter as wel as adjust the bands. i have rebuilt one C6 and it was not too hard. the HAYNES manual is actually a good book for it. you can get it at autozone. it is for ford automatic trannys. there are hundreds of pic and all the specs in there.

max
01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
A shift kit will not help your problem. Your problem is either vacuum, or the kick down cable/linkage is stuck on the side of the trans. Make sure the linkage moves freely. When you replaced the modulator did you install the valve? Did you check vaccuum to the modulator?

Dont waste your money or time on a shift kit.

Adjusting the bands and a fluid filter change wont fix your problem either.

SWIGIN
01-30-2007, 02:35 PM
how is a shift kit a waste of time and money?

every auto should have a shift kit, they improve performance and with the faster shifts the clutches dont take such a beating

name 1 performance upgrade that is under $30 and does so much

and wile doing the kit you have a chance to look around the inside of the tranny...if you got a 1/8'' coating of clutch material laying in the pan well you know it needs a rebuild. and rebuilds are cheap for a c6.

G-MAN-1
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I Would Go With The Kick Down Cable And Make Sure Your Vaccum Is Working Properly.........

russell56443
01-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah I have the same truck basiclly(F250) and the linkage was screwed up on mine too,damn Minnesota winters.
My transfer case gets hard to shift too,I spray all the linkages with a good penetrating lube every year or it sticks.

max
01-31-2007, 11:57 AM
how is a shift kit a waste of time and money?

every auto should have a shift kit, they improve performance and with the faster shifts the clutches dont take such a beating

name 1 performance upgrade that is under $30 and does so much

and wile doing the kit you have a chance to look around the inside of the tranny...if you got a 1/8'' coating of clutch material laying in the pan well you know it needs a rebuild. and rebuilds are cheap for a c6.

All im saying is a shift kit wont fix his problem. So buying it and installing it would waste his time and money.

mnsstuff
02-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanks for all the replys and help.Turns out there was a vaccum hose pulled off the vacumm block where the modulator valve hooks up so it wasnt getting enough vacumm.Glad thats all it was I really dont have the cash right now to replace the whole tranny.....Thanks.....

scottyms
02-01-2007, 11:48 PM
i'd listen to Max , transmisions are his business. must know what he's talking about hes got a hell of a nice shop. i know i was there and i was impressed.

hey max hows that R coming? the tecates coming along slowly but surely. i'll have to get with you to see what your plans are for trikefest. im going for sure just have to decide what day i'm headed out.

scott