PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a bigger oil cooler???

Greiver430x
02-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Just wondering if a bigger oil cooler would be a good idea on my quad, the mod work is listed in my signature. Im not sure if it would need one or if it would just help the motor at all with the bore and stroker kit , high compression piston, etc etc, just incase it builds alot more heat. Thanks guys im sure you get dumb questioms like this one at times. just want to be sure im not gonna cook the engine.:wondering

z400nate
02-01-2007, 10:18 PM
It definately wouldnt hurt to have on on there, especially since one would only set ya back 20-30 bucks. I personally have never used one but I cant see them not working, else nobody would buy them.

SWIGIN
02-01-2007, 11:42 PM
i use a 450r size cooler on my 350x...id look into one of those

Greiver430x
02-02-2007, 12:45 AM
:idea: I had an idea do you think it possible to hook up two stock 350x coolers in series, or is that dumb. Where the one is mounted now is behind the left side tire little below the fender. i was thinkin if I use some fittings and do a good flare job on the lines i could mount one on the opposite side too. Or is this just to much trouble and i should just spend the money and get a better one?:wondering

SWIGIN
02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
iv seen that done...unless you have a extra one for free id just get a big one and mount it in the frame so its protected better.....like a radiator

plus you have less line to get snagged on things...check mine out, i use all hard line

Greiver430x
02-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Gotcha, I was thinkin that too. Plus I figure less lines and connections= less places for oil to leak. This is where the original builder mounted the oil cooler.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/harlot2020/oilcooler.jpg

SWIGIN
02-02-2007, 02:31 PM
thats ware i thought you were talking about....when i build a 250x/350x hybrid thats about the only decent place for the cooler....but i flip it so its mostly inside the frame.

going to a 450r style cooler will look much nicer and if you use hard line and weld on the factory ends you dont have to worry about leaks ever.

you can see my weld in the first pic right after the bend