PDA

View Full Version : Polaris AWD issue.

TravEX
02-03-2007, 01:15 PM
My 04 500 ATP Polaris has been doing wierd things with the AWD. When mudding a couple monthes ago, I noticed the front end (drive) would kick in when I was trying to spin the rear tires. I put the selector in "2WD" and "AWD", same results. I checked the computer diagnostics and it shows the switch to be working correctly, it shows "AWD" "Off" when the switch is off and "ON" when it's on. The "turf" mode is working correctly.

Today I played with it more, it the snow, so it's easier to see which tires are spinning. With the AWD switch in "AWD" or "2WD" it acts the same. After the rear tires spin a turn or 2 the front end kicks in and starts spinning too.

I have cleaned the sensors on the front hubs, and everything on the quad is pretty clean. I talked to the dealership mech, and he had seen this happen to abused quads, that always have mud caked on them, and none of the fluids ever changed. This is not the case for mine. All fluids are changed regularly and kept as clean as I can. I also just replaced the drive belt and CV boots.

Please no flaming because it's a POLARIS, this is a great quad, perfect for what I use it for.

Thanks,

Travis

russell56443
02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
On the older Polaris AWD the front end would stick in gear and you would have to put in reverse and then it would stop lol??!!

mbg75
02-10-2007, 10:59 PM
have you had the front hubs apart?

this usually happens when the springs inside the front hubs have stretched. they have to be installed with a special tool. they are called hallard (spelling?) springs.

another possible cause is improper torque on the front hub nut. too loose and the awd wont engage, too tight and it wont release.

best bet would be to buy a repair manual or drop it off at the dealer.

TravEX
02-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The hubs have not been apart. The front end is not sticking or anything like that, it's just acting like it's in AWD mode. I have a repair manual. It's really not a problem, and doesn't affect driveability, just thought it might be an easy fix.

When it's warms up a bit, it's time for differentials and tranny fluid changes, maybe I can find something then.

MikeRWK
02-11-2007, 12:50 AM
polaris's are junk get rid of it asap

smokinwrench
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
polaris's are junk get rid of it asap

Thats a good statement. Do you have any facts to go with that? Since Polaris is such junk maybe you would trade your homebuilt quad for my Polaris when you get done with it to help a guy get rid of a pile of junk.

MikeRWK
02-11-2007, 01:12 AM
im happy with ym homebuilt quad, ive never seen a 4x4 polaris that the front end hasnt gone in, and their snow mobiles have that awful bog down low

smokinwrench
02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Oh well ok I was talking about my 525 outlaw. I liek my 500 scrambler way to much to trade it.

TravEX
02-11-2007, 01:22 AM
im happy with ym homebuilt quad, ive never seen a 4x4 polaris that the front end hasnt gone in, and their snow mobiles have that awful bog down low

Just keep the smack talk to yourself! You don't like em, don't buy em! Thank you for your USELESS post regarding this topic! I happen to like Polaris, because of FIRSTHAND experience. We have about 4 right now, and have owned 6, I've ridden most of the models made, and they are good quads. One thing to remember is that a quad/trikes treats you like you treat them. You rag the hell out of ANYTHING and you'll have problems!

smokinwrench
02-11-2007, 01:30 AM
In all honesty my 500 scrambler was doing some weird awd stuff 2 winters ago. I done a complete service on it and it has not messed up since. The oil that came out of the front hub was so nasty on one side and empty on the other side. Since then I check them more regularily now.

TravEX
02-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Smokin, I know what your talking about, my grandpa's 400 Xplorer did that, I changed the hub oil and no more problems. The ATP hubs are different, the front diff is shaft driven instead of chain and only diff oil, the hubs are dry.

I had a 2000 400 Srambler 2x4, LOVED it, ripped really good. I rode a 500 4x4 once and loved it. The ultimate sport mudder!!!

Lomax
02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Your ATP is an 04 model? IT has the new style diff in it with the "plastic" roll cage that engages the AWD. I have seen the later model machines (with this setup) have problems engaging and disengaging whenever they seem to feel like it. Im not saying that the cage is the problem, but it stands a good chance of it.
What kind of fulid did you fill the front diff with? If you used gear oil, drain it out, make sure its clean, and refill it with some Polaris hub fluid. I seen that work on one guys machine. They are supposed to have hub oil in them instead of gear oil because of the AWD system.
-Will

TravEX
02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Ok, thanks Will, I'll do that. I did use gear oil the diffs.

Travis

TravEX
02-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks alot Will. I drained the front over night, and filled it up with the Polaris stuff tonight. It helped the problem, but I need to do the rear too.

Is that stuff just ATF? It sure looked like it.

I guess I'm not gonna try to skimp on the Polaris lube products anymore, I guess there's a reason why they produce their own lubes, hehe.

Thanks again,

Travis

Bryan Raffa
02-24-2007, 11:39 AM
polaris is noted for the magnets in the front hubs to stick. thoes hubs are lock in with magnets when the switch is switch to AWD, some times it takes a little wile for the magnets to release. usally after 10 ft they do, so its not going to be instant

TravEX
02-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but mine would be in AWD full time even with the switch in 2WD mode for weeks at a time, I never needed the AWD. The gear oil I used was way too thick, and like Will stated, when it detected the speed difference in the shafts it would engage to front end to assist. I have it fixed now, I'm glad, hehe.

Lomax
02-24-2007, 12:33 PM
The rear end on the 500 i think uses Polaris AGL. The transmission and rear drive are all one unit, then thats what you need to put in it. You can try to drain and fill that front end after a few more days to see if it clears it up completley. It should.
-Will

TravEX
02-24-2007, 04:38 PM
In my manual they call for the same fluid front and rear. It having the "Turf" mode and the Versatrac rear may be why. Thanks again!

TravEX
02-25-2007, 03:37 PM
We got alot of rain yesterday, so I just took the ATP out behind the pond in the mud, I had to "try it out", hehe. That 100% fixed the problem. 2WD when I needed it and AWD when it was supposed to. Thanks again Will! I owe ya one.

Travis

MagnumBrad03
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Hello. Just joined the forum because I've finally found someone that had the same problem i'm having now!

Can you help please!?

Just bought an 03 polaris magnum 4x4 and I love it.

Got a great deal on it and it was hardly used at all.

When i have the switch in 2wd and the rear wheels start to spin a little bit, the front wheels will kick in.

The switch engages and disengages the 4wd instantly just like it should. But in 2wd it will not let the back wheels spin very much with out kicking in the front too.

The dealership had no answers for me.

How did you fix yours?!

TravEX
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Holy cow, I can't believe that that was 2 years ago!

Change your fluids, for sure. That is the easiest thing to try.

As a rule for Polaris's:

Front diffs (whether centralized or external)- ATF fluid.

Rear diffs- 75w90 gear oil.

That will keep things going the way they should.

My grandpa's 2000 Xplorer has one of the front hubs that starts sticking every now and then, change the fluid, fixed.

Keep fresh fluid in it and you should be good. Cheap enough to try.