PDA

View Full Version : Absolute best anti-virus software

Dave223
02-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Well much like the title says, who has the best anti-virus/ spyware software out right now?
My laptop is loaded with something, not sure what. I used Adaware SE, it removed some. I used Spyware S&D, it found a bunch but still not all. So I did a Search here and found SpyWare Doctor, it supposedly found over 10,000 items! But Im still having problems.

Im looking for something I can download or purchase if I have to, it makes no difference. My daughter has ben using my laptop lately and now its acting up.She visits MEEBO.com, anyone familiar with it? Before I shut down the wireless connection, it opened 46 IE windows! I hate IE and use Firefox btw. If I open ANY videos (not adult) on www.yourfilehost.com, Firefox crashes and shuts down, that also never happened before. And its just that site, no other video sites.
Any advice or reccomendations? I kinda dislike Norton, I had it once and it seemed they constantly wanted money. Thanks, Dave

3 weelin geezer
02-04-2007, 12:51 AM
What is 'meebo'? http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/3_weelin_geezer/smileys/owned2.gif Is that like "myspace" where Michael Jackson can be frequently found?

Mike_Ham_250R
02-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Ad-Aware SE and Norton Anti-Virus is what I use. Also I use firefox, but I know how to carefully surf the web and I've been virus and spyware free for years.

El'Capitan
02-04-2007, 03:55 AM
use AVG....free to download and use. just google it.

traxxasx
02-04-2007, 05:39 AM
i never use I.E anymore seems one you have had a virus its always slow. I use firefox and i used ad-aware se personal, and i use spyware doctor with a ripped serial from lime wire. Thats all i need and ive have really really bad viruses. You have to delete all its programs unistall it, delete cookies, internet files ect. Look in your task manager find out whats the virus is called do a search for it example virus.exe and delete the exe and shorcut. if all fails do a system restore to a date when everyhting was fine.

502SS
02-04-2007, 08:52 AM
First off, if it is Windows XP, TURN OFF the system restore before you do any spwyare/virus removal. You can turn it back on once the system is clean, but definately turn it off to do your cleaning.
McAfee and Norton are obviously the two most well known anti virus software pieces. I like McAfee better just because we've seen fewer problems with it, but both are decent programs.
Yes, AVG is free, but as with anything else, you get what you pay for.
Webroot's Spysweeper seems to do a pretty good job at spyware removal, but it's not free. Not very expensive, but not free.
Ad Aware and Spybot are free and both do a decent job, but it usually seems that Spysweeper will always find more infections, and effectively clean them better than the others. I would use at least 2 different spyware removal (not 2 anti virus) programs if you think you're that heavily infected.

350Xhilaration
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I'd highly recommend Webroot's Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/spysweeper/?id=HOME-HHO-ssLogo&WRSID=c68b996aaa55eab40ff6aec08a61e886). Webroot has integrated Sophos (http://sophos.com/)' AV engine into Spysweeper. Spysweeper has been a leader in AntiSpyware and Sophos can't be beat with their heuristics and signature releases. For 30 bux it's a great deal.

I run Symantec Corporate version 10.1.5.5001 which incorporates Antispyware. (I get through work for free) If I had to pay for AV/AntiSpyware it would be Spysweeper for sure.

Some sites to help with Spyware removal issues are www.spywarewarrior.com and www.2-spyware.com.

Enjoy!!

MikeRWK
02-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Meebo is spyware my lil cousin oput that on my puter one time and i was gonna smack the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* out of her

ATC-Eric
02-04-2007, 05:57 PM
use AVG....free to download and use. just google it.

Yes yes yes!!!! Download the spyware, and antivirus. Their both really good and auto update.

Dave223
02-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info ! I have d/l AVG as I also heard from other people about it. I just finished the install and will run it in a few minutes.

Without opening another thread, Teach me how to prevent this from now on, besides anti-virus, spyware removal...I have the firewall on...what else can i do?

team-red-rider
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
hey this is old but you should use COmmand anti-virus the pc shop i worked at was a retailer and i have a lifetime subscription....go to www.Authentium.com..

84honda200s
02-26-2007, 09:03 PM
i use anything but norton. norton is a virus in its self.

Billy Golightly
02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I've used Norton for almost 10 years, never had any problems with it. I used AVG for a period of time but got sick of the updates not downloading or barely downloading for me.

NOD32 is probably the best though.

84honda200s
02-26-2007, 10:03 PM
yea i agree with you there. the downloading is a pain.

Chevy n Honda
02-26-2007, 10:31 PM
i use anything but norton. norton is a virus in its self.

Amen Brother ! :D

C n H