PDA

View Full Version : south bend metal lathe

rugabugadouglas
02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
i am looking into buying a 10" south bend lathe from our local high school for $500 and it needs some work i was wondering if anyone on here knows of any good places to get parts for these old lathes other than ebay? any leads would be great thanks doug:Bounce

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
i am looking into buying a 10" south bend lathe from our local high school for $500 and it needs some work i was wondering if anyone on here knows of any good places to get parts for these old lathes other than ebay? any leads would be great thanks doug:Bounce

Well, Ebay has alot of parts on there. What does it need? Chucks, collets, tooling and accessories are at MSC for good prices. If an older SB is missing parts it can get expensive. Mine needed alot of work, but it was all handmade parts I made at another machine shop because it's a 1928 Lathe and I couldn't find the parts. If it's nearly complete then grab it.

There are also auctions and swap meets all of the country. When I need something in particular, I email every seller on EBAY that has sold alot of machine shop parts and tell them what I'm looking for.