PDA

View Full Version : Cold,Cold,Cold!!!!

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Well thanks to the cold weather I'm still at home instead of on my route.Made it about 1/2 mile down the road and the fuel jelled. Had to wake my nieghbor up to give me a tow back home. Sat in the truck for probably 20-30 minutes and was freezing. I think they said yesterday was about 1 degree and 40 below windchill. Feels colder today. Man I can't wait till spring now. Too cold even to ride.

Anyone have any ideas how to thaw out a diesel? I think I'm gonna try a hair dryer on all the lines. I can see in one of the glasss fuel filters on the side of the frame and it looks like an icee pop in there. I'm gonna try to get her ready for tomorrow. Today is shot.

How cold is it where you're at?

ATC-Eric
02-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Will some of that Heet stuff work? That stuff you can get at Oreilys that acts as antifreeze for your fuel?

Dont know much about Diesels, but would imagine that they can accomidate you with something.

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Will some of that Heet stuff work? That stuff you can get at Oreilys that acts as antifreeze for your fuel?

Dont know much about Diesels, but would imagine that they can accomidate you with something.

I'm pretty sure any of the hundreds of anti-jells will work but it is allready frozen. I wish I had a large enough heated garage to put it in. I hope I don't fry the wifes hair dryer trying to thaw it out. LOL. They say it will be even colder tomorrow.

Mike_Ham_250R
02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
-3 here. Off school because I'm assuming that the t444e engines in the busses are hard to start.

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
-3 here. Off school because I'm assuming that the t444e engines in the busses are hard to start.

Same motor I have. Ya all the schools here are closed too. I'll probably have to take my dodge truck out tomorrow.

atctim
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
It was neg 9 when I got up this morning. Rick - this should give you some good old fashioned garage time;)

Kintore
02-05-2007, 11:24 AM
And I thought nada had it bad!
-6F here!

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
It was neg 9 when I got up this morning. Rick - this should give you some good old fashioned garage time;)

I ain't going nowhere near the garage. No heat. Plus Brandon has the swinger to extend it and the motor is out to Cory getting some much needed attention. I'm happy sittin' right here if front of the puter. Nice Red Shelly did by the way.

Kintore, hope to see ya on the 10th. I figured you would post up something like "1 dgree. I'd be out in shorts" LOL Gonna have to go out to the store here soon. Need another extension cord for the heat gun. Gonna be a long cold day.

Billy Golightly
02-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I love when things like this happen at the same time all the greenies are hooping and hollering about how global warming is going to ruin everything in the world in just a few short years :lol:

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I love when things like this happen at the same time all the greenies are hooping and hollering about how global warming is going to ruin everything in the world in just a few short years :lol:

Treehuggers know nothing about global cycles. Neither do I for that matter. But everytime I watch the news they give a record high and low for the particular date. I remeber seeing once in January the record high for one particular day was in the 70's and it was way back in the 1960's. I suppose that was global warming also. LOL The planet is more powerful then anyone really knows. It will take care of itself. Even if it means taking us out.

edog
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
-15 without wind.I love the snow,Cold weather.

nouseforaname90
02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Yup its terrible here. I'm not sure how cold it is, but I know its in the negatives. It was so cold last night that they cancelled school before the Super Bowl even started!

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
-15 without wind.I love the snow,Cold weather.

WHY? I can deal with it for a little while but when it cuts into my job it sucks. Ever tried to stick your tongue to a flagpole. HAHA. I remember my lips getting stuck to an old metal runner sled when I was young. Cryed like a girl.:cry: Park ranger kept a bottle of warm water on the hill just for that occasion. Never went down the hill on my stomach after that.

x.system
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure any of the hundreds of anti-jells will work but it is allready frozen. I wish I had a large enough heated garage to put it in. I hope I don't fry the wifes hair dryer trying to thaw it out. LOL. They say it will be even colder tomorrow.

-1 here but suposed to get up to 7 :p

If one of our trucks feeze up we drape a tarp over it and put a small salamander under it to thaw it out then we have to bleed each fuel line to get the ice out if it makes it that far. We normally don't run any equipment in this weather but if we do it stays running until the temps get back up. I don't think a hair dryer will do a whole lot in these temps.

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 12:06 PM
-1 here but suposed to get up to 7 :p

If one of our trucks feeze up we drape a tarp over it and put a small salamander under it to thaw it out then we have to bleed each fuel line to get the ice out if it makes it that far. We normally don't run any equipment in this weather but if we do it stays running until the temps get back up. I don't think a hair dryer will do a whole lot in these temps.

I'll try the tarp thing with a heater. Sounds like a good idea. Current temp is setting right at zero.

4cylinders
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
hey, don't they make a heater for the fuel tank, a magnetic or blanket kinda thing?

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
hey, don't they make a heater for the fuel tank, a magnetic or blanket kinda thing?

??????? Dunno. Never heard of such a thing. Makes me a little nervous just putting any kind of heat source close the the engine and fuel tanks.

rugabugadouglas
02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
i think they do make a magnetic heater for tractors and other farm equipment. the new diesel isnt suppost to gel up like the old #1 but mine in my heater in the garage is geled its only got down to -19 air temp last night i just dont understand it? everything should work in that cold weather

ATC-Eric
02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Would a heated blanket do any good?

You guys talking about negative temps, I thought we had it rough here at 10 degrees!:eek:

SYKO
02-05-2007, 02:20 PM
its 65 here today:welcome:

Kintore
02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
We got -5F and -15 plus with windchill right now. Now I ask you, is it wrong that im going to go for a ride? lol

nouseforaname90
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Its -21F here right now.. according to AccuWeather. (including windchill)

Bryan Raffa
02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
its -24 here it's cold!!!!!!!!!!! worked today for 4 hours was up on a ladder 15ft and blinked and my eye lashes froze together!!! thats when i called it a day! LOL

darrel632
02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
we do -40 on a regular basis here, If its gonna gel, dump 1 gallon of kerosene in for each 15 gallons of diesel, not harmful to your engine and will only drop your power by about 5%, that combo won't freeze till -51F --at that temp you shouldn't be driving anyways.

russell56443
02-05-2007, 03:33 PM
-2 right now and it's 1:30pm,it was -10 yesterday when we shot that video footage,someone commented something about a (death grip)I was freezing my ass off lol!!!!!!!
Schools ect.. are closed here too,Im excited about spring now also,we get lots of mud during spring thaw,that should be a blast on the R!!!!!!!!!!

Name Brand
02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
It is never too cold too ride, here's some pics from last November; http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=60138

It got down to 0 degrees out there, not including wind chill which is usually alot in that open area. I don't know what temperature the water was at! After we got back I had to sit in the truck for about fifteen minutes before I could get my boots off. It was nearly solid ice from my ankles down; the laces on my boots and zippers on my gore-tex pants were encased in ice.

I've never had a problem with fuel gelling at anytime. I've been in some cold temperatures on my three-wheelers, not too mention some extremely cold times on snowmachines. I was also in Fairbanks about two weeks ago; it was -25 in the mornings and maybe by afternoon was -10. We just had to keep the car plugged in to help it start, no problems with fuel gelling.

Regarding that diesel that isn't starting; get a block heater, battery blanket, oil pan heater and transmission pan heater installed. At least up here they are on virtually every vehicle.

Name Brand
02-05-2007, 03:52 PM
-2 right now and it's 1:30pm
Schools ect.. are closed here too

I remember at my elementary school we had to take our recess outside unless it got colder than -10 F.

During high school ski races we weren't allowed to race in temperatures less than -10 F. They were several weekends we would covertly keep a finger or some warm breath on the thermometers to keep the races from getting canceled. That's not crazy is it?

mean350
02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
it was acyually pretty warm here today. it was -6 when i waoke up and it was a high of 5 all day.

mark38090
02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
58 here in Florida, but they are predicting upper 20's tonight. Then we wont be back in the 70's until Wed.

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
We got -5F and -15 plus with windchill right now. Now I ask you, is it wrong that im going to go for a ride? lol

You're just used to it Josh. Plus you're just a young'n. Wait till ya get in your mid 30's. The frigid air makes your whole body shrivel up. Not just certain areas. LOL Don't forget we were in the 50's and 60's about two weeks ago.

Well off to brave the cold and see if I can get this pig fired up.

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 04:45 PM
58 here in Florida, but they are predicting upper 20's tonight. Then we wont be back in the 70's until Wed.

You southern'rs just have to rub it in don't ya.:rolleyes:

Howdy
02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm with you on the cold Rick. It was -3 at 6AM and it has reached a balmy 6 this afternoon. Tonight is going to be the same. They say we may hit 24 on Friday though. lol

We have used the heater and tarp trick. It won't thaw it right away, but with a good enough heater and done safely it should get fuel flowing again. Be sure to get some additive in the tank right away. some of it will work to help thaw it out. Plus you need the stuff in there for once you get it running. You will need to let the truck run for quite a whle to get the additive to work it's way through the fuel line. If you don't you will be in the same boat again.
Howdy

seadoo650
02-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Ya. Just drained both fuel filters and added the additive. Still won't fire. Gonna have to let it heat up a bit I guess. Damn cold weather.

I wonder if there's a route open in Florida. I know I've said this before. Considering more seriously now. LOL

85hondaatc125m
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Today it is -15 celcius(5 feahrenheit) but earlier on it was -35 celsius (-31 feahrenheit) and the wind chill was -50 celsius (-58 feahrenheit)

wanta250r
02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I've been basking in 65 degree weather here the past week or so. The all time record low for my town is -6F. I've never seen it below 5 degrees Fahrenheit here. :w00t: Although I like the cold and snow I'm glad I don't have to live in the extreme cold like you guys do.

edog
02-05-2007, 09:35 PM
- 30 with the wind chill.Time to put on a sweater.I gets even warmer when the sun comes up.Time for a Tee Shirt.

Mount Washington is a Balmy -70 with wind chill.
I shure could go for a nice cold one rite know.:beer

Wait I don't drink Beer.I have a Cup in front of me that is filled with Ice water.A cool 32 Degrees.I am seriuos,Heat is only on 60.

I love the cold.:Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

erectordale
02-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Sea doo I had the same issue today I tarped the truck put the salamander in the front about 18" away and left it for 3 hrs walked out fired right up no more problems all day Now to get the other truck going tommorrow

smokinwrench
02-05-2007, 11:28 PM
I love the cold.:Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

Same statement I here from everyone that has an inside job. I bet your only outside the amount of time it takes to walk form your vehicle to your nice indoor job.

Try a job where you work outside all day everyday and you'll hate cold weather with the rest of us.

Bryan Raffa
02-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Same statement I here from everyone that has an inside job. I bet your only outside the amount of time it takes to walk form your vehicle to your nice indoor job.

Try a job where you work outside all day everyday and you'll hate cold weather with the rest of us.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :beer

Kintore
02-05-2007, 11:35 PM
You're just used to it Josh. Plus you're just a young'n. Wait till ya get in your mid 30's. The frigid air makes your whole body shrivel up. Not just certain areas. LOL Don't forget we were in the 50's and 60's about two weeks ago.

Well off to brave the cold and see if I can get this pig fired up.

LOL you win buddy!

edog
02-05-2007, 11:42 PM

Done it most of my life Buddy.This year I am taking it off.:w00t:

Dammit!
02-06-2007, 12:46 AM
High was 73 today. I had to turn the AC on in the truck. High is supposed to be 81 tomorrow. :eek:

Bryan Raffa
02-06-2007, 09:03 AM
High was 73 today. I had to turn the AC on in the truck. High is supposed to be 81 tomorrow. :eek:

Thanks dammit that only makes it worse!!!:lol:

MyMistress86R
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry Rick, but DAYUM!! LMAO I have to work outdoors all day long at MY job. Go riding for 8~10 hours in this and I MIGHT feel some sympathy for you...lol.

rugabugadouglas
02-06-2007, 07:40 PM
its finally above 0 here and we got 6 more inches of snow today no work for me cant work in the snow too well

mark38090
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM

I work midnight to 8AM at the prison and I'm outside 6 hours a night, even in Florida 20 degrees at 2 in the morning is damn cold...

Dave223
02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
I feel for ya fellas, and I thought about yall all day today...While I was outside in a t-shirt, basking in the sun at 65!:D Tomorrow is 67 here for the high, but we did have to turn the wipers on this morning to knock the frost from the windshield.

BTW, when fuel gels up, does it go back to liquid when it defrosts? Seriously. And what temp does it happen?

edog
02-06-2007, 09:45 PM