PDA

View Full Version : 74(75?) tnt skidoo 440 wont start

Banage
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
She just will not start on her own. New gas lines, new plugs. using starting fluid and it fires right up. until the fluid runs out, then dies out. Hit the gas with the starting fluid, it dies. it could be the carb settings could be somethine else. Its sitting in a heated garage

Nick_R_23
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Try adjusting your choke, my 1980 jag would do the same thing, only starting on starting fluid, if you adjust it, it will make a lot of diference. Also maybe your fuel pump isnt working? Is there even one on there, because a lot of older machines require one. HTH

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Banage
02-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Its a hand choke, I have tried every position Ever.

85hondaatc125m
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I had the same problem with my oly, wasnt sure what was wrong so i took the carb apart, and you know the needle and seat, well i took the needle out, sanded it down a little, put it back in, put a primer buld on the gas line, and it fired right up, maybe give that a try, only takes a couple minutes and $10.

84honda200s
02-08-2007, 12:55 AM
yea it is more than likely a carb issue. isnt that the engine with the tilly carb with the built in fuel pump? i have a 73 tnt 440 engine with that kinda set up. i hate it im converting to mikuni fuel pump and carb if i ever use the engine. well anyways like i was saying check the carb settings and such. if that dont work you may need the rebuild kit for it. if you need carb specs i have em.

Chevy200s
02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
I agree with what was already said, check your carb and make sure everything is good there. However if that doesnt fix it there are still a few other possibilities. If it has a fuel filter see if it looks dirty inside or clogged, if so try a new one, cant hurt right? My John Deere 400 and my old tnt 640 both used to act similar to your sled, I put check valves on them for the fuel and it seemed to help quite a bit. Easy to install if you dont already have them, they just clamp onto the ends of your fuel line down in the tank and keep the gas in there. Good luck with it!