PDA

View Full Version : Flat track racing at TF

ccdhowell
02-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I know there is no organized flat track racing at TF, but I'm not familiar with Haspin. Is there a place where a race track could be marked off for some informal racing? I have marked off a flat track in a pasture where I ride some and have really enjoyed pushing my Tecate around the track. I have learned through trial and error on my own, but I sure would like to watch, learn and race with trikers with more experience. Would be big fun.

Too bad the resident flat trakers don't swing their racing closer to my end of the south, I'd join in, but GA is too far to drive, race and return in a weekend.

Chris

Jason Hall
02-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I think we should just bust out an oval where ever there Is a good enough spot. If they don't like It they will tell us to stop. If they see a bunch of us makin a go of it maybe they will help us make It better. I know I would love to get a chance to run with some fellow trikers. I know Billy would join In, any others?

dizasterzrfun69
02-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I think we should just bust out an oval where ever there Is a good enough spot. If they don't like It they will tell us to stop. If they see a bunch of us makin a go of it maybe they will help us make It better. I know I would love to get a chance to run with some fellow trikers. I know Billy would join In, any others?

I'd sure give it my best shot :lol: What about the big open area behind the building and above the small MX track? I think thatd be a decent place and it wouldnt be right in the middle of a main trail.

SYKO
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
you know im in for it!

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-09-2007, 10:48 PM
jason and kevin have a great idea!:beer that would be the ideal spot kevin, and your dad already has the bike as well as waterpumper with his cool 250r, i know there is more people with these flat track trikes out there

Tri-ZNate
02-09-2007, 10:50 PM
hell i'd even do it

Billy Golightly
02-09-2007, 10:59 PM
We talked about it in the planning forum as making it an official event but we kind of all decided we couldn't pull it off this year. If someone can bring a couple cones, I'll definitely play out there some provided the dust or mud isn't unbearable. Maybe we could even get Pete to water it for us a little bit or something.

Jason Hall
02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah that sounds sweet. I know Pete would help us out. We just might have a BLAST :w00t:

dizasterzrfun69
02-09-2007, 11:33 PM
woo hooo this is gonna be fun :w00t: cant wait. I'll have my rebuilt 85 R there to try and roll. :eek:

Billy Golightly
02-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I can probably buy a couple cones from lowes and bring them, if I can remember. Can someone else commit to bring some orange tape to run around inbetween the cones?

dizasterzrfun69
02-09-2007, 11:41 PM
:
I can probably buy a couple cones from lowes and bring them, if I can remember. Can someone else commit to bring some orange tape to run around inbetween the cones?

you mean like police line tape? :lol: I can try and remember when im at menards tomorrow. How much will we need? I aint ever got to flat track except for flying around icy road corners sideways pinned in 3rd or 4th on my g/f's 400ex :lol: If its anything like that im gonna love it.

Jason Hall
02-09-2007, 11:43 PM
I have 4 big cones I will bring.

Bryan Raffa
02-10-2007, 12:07 AM
AWHHH MAN! Now i got to build a flattracker in 4 months...:naughty:

ccdhowell
02-10-2007, 12:14 AM
I'd bring orange tape if'n ya tell me where I might get it. Chris

I'm assuming this place at Haspin is in a field. Covered in grass? Or is it dirt? I've chewed up the corners on the track I marked in my pasture but it took a little while to grind it down to dirt.

How big is a regular/normal atv flat track? The one I marked off is D shaped, maybe 80 - 100 yards on 3 sides with the fourth side really a big shallow curve is maybe 150 yards long. I guess I watch too much NASCAR, I made my track look like Michigan Speedway. Chris

Howdy
02-10-2007, 12:15 AM
:

you mean like police line tape? :lol: I can try and remember when im at menards tomorrow. How much will we need? I aint ever got to flat track except for flying around icy road corners sideways pinned in 3rd or 4th on my g/f's 400ex :lol: If its anything like that im gonna love it.

Bring you rear down to Sunsetramblers and race there. They have a nice track, and Derrick will lead you around it ( that guy is nuts ).
Howdy

Jason Hall
02-10-2007, 12:17 AM
And you said you were ready for TF did'nt ya Bryan? Build a HONDA they are better :D

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2007, 12:18 AM
AWHHH MAN! Now i got to build a flattracker in 4 months...:naughty:

then you'll have one of everything wont ya? mx? drag? flat track? lol

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Bring you rear down to Sunsetramblers and race there. They have a nice track, and Derrick will lead you around it ( that guy is nuts ).
Howdy

i'd love to howdy but im dumping all kinds of cash into preparing for tf07. Im trying to get my 85 r project done, rebuild my 350x, get my 310 drag bike running right, and hopefully get a car trailer and a new truck before trikefest :crazy: I know i wont get it all done but im bustin balls to get done as much as i can possibly do/afford.

Billy Golightly
02-10-2007, 12:27 AM
The hardware stores ought to have the tape, they call it survey tape but we'll use it for marking the course off.

Chris, best I can recall the area we're talking about is dirt, and had wood chips over it in a couple places. I believe its like their overflow parking area on the extra large holiday weekends. Flat tracks are all different sizes...they range from 1/4 mile in circumference to over 5/8s at some. If we can fit a 1/4 mile one in that place that'd be sweet but I'm not sure we can.

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2007, 12:29 AM
The hardware stores ought to have the tape, they call it survey tape but we'll use it for marking the course off.

Chris, best I can recall the area we're talking about is dirt, and had wood chips over it in a couple places. I believe its like their overflow parking area on the extra large holiday weekends. Flat tracks are all different sizes...they range from 1/4 mile in circumference to over 5/8s at some. If we can fit a 1/4 mile one in that place that'd be sweet but I'm not sure we can.

1/4 to 5/8 mile equals exactly how many feet of tape? :lol:

Billy Golightly
02-10-2007, 12:35 AM
ALOT, but we don't have to tape off the whole thing, mainly just the corners and maybe a few places in the straights would be about it I think. It wont stay up there long anyways, the guys on 4x4s and stuff will probably run through it the instant we leave the area.

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2007, 12:37 AM
It wont stay up there long anyways, the guys on 4x4s and stuff will probably run through it the instant we leave the area.

you think we'd actually have to leave the area before they tore it up? :lol:

Billy Golightly
02-10-2007, 12:40 AM
:lol: well hopefully they stay out of it while we're there, I'd hate to come around a corner in the dust cloud and plow into the side of a cut up 82 chevy blazer with no doors or roof

erectordale
02-10-2007, 12:41 AM
I will look I have a large roll of construction Caution tape if I can remember where I put it about 400 yards long

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2007, 12:42 AM
:lol: well hopefully they stay out of it while we're there, I'd hate to come around a corner in the dust cloud and plow into the side of a cut up 82 chevy blazer with no doors or roof

:lol: :lol: :lol: cut up 82 chevy blazer with no doors or roof :lol:

Billy Golightly
02-10-2007, 12:54 AM
:D well its the truth! haha

TimSr
02-10-2007, 01:07 AM
I'd sure give it my best shot :lol: What about the big open area behind the building and above the small MX track? I think thatd be a decent place and it wouldnt be right in the middle of a main trail.

Just to give you guys a heads up, that area would be a good place (although sometimes they park a lot of vehicles there on weekends) but the dirt there is clay, and when it rains and they drive trucks through it to park, it dries into a rock hard, mega-rough washboard. It will most likely require some equipment to make it smooth enough to cornerslide flat track style.

dizasterzrfun69
02-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Just to give you guys a heads up, that area would be a good place (although sometimes they park a lot of vehicles there on weekends) but the dirt there is clay, and when it rains and they drive trucks through it to park, it dries into a rock hard, mega-rough washboard. It will most likely require some equipment to make it smooth enough to cornerslide flat track style.

hmmmm maybe i could float pete an abe lincoln to level it out :lol: that does prove to be a potential problem. i kinda hate to even ask pete to help out on yet another one of our speacial "requests" He already gives so much. any ideas?

Billy Golightly
02-10-2007, 01:12 AM
We might be able to use Raffas drag he has for the strip? Don't know how much it'll help but would be worth a try.

Old 179
02-10-2007, 06:31 AM
We ran 1/8 &1/10 mile bull rings around here with the others mention also.

MIK6
02-10-2007, 01:23 PM
The other place that might work is past the big track. I know their os a big lot back there that does not get alot of traffic. around the bend from the end of the drag strip.

Just an idea.
MIK6 / Mike

Chevy200s
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I have 4 orange road cones I can bring too. I was never really into flat track racing until the 250R I bought from Freaksfix for my 480 project, which someone had set up to do flat track. Lowered the rear suspension by making a custom bracket to raise the shock, lawn mower tires on the back and lowered the front shocks. So anyways, sounds like a great idea, and who knows I might have something to bring for it too:w00t:

86waterpumper
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.quadpit.com/zoom/haspin03.html

according to that guy's site, haspin used to have a flat track, not sure where it was located, but Pete ought to know about it. I figure it was where one of the mx tracks is, but since they had one before maybe they'd bring it back if there was enough interest

Billy Golightly
02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Wow thats interesting! Woot maybe they could make a new one again, that'd be awesome.

dizasterzrfun69
02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
hey billy i got some orange tape. Its only like 1 inch wide but i got 2 rolls of 600 feet each. hope its enough.

Billy Golightly
02-12-2007, 06:51 PM
That should work Kevin. I'll try and pickup a few orange cones from Lowes here in the next few days before I forget about it. I can use them on my practice track out here in the meantime anyways.

Bryan Raffa
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
man there's enough construction in ohio again this year may be the NY crew could pick up a few on the way through!!:lol:

erectordale
02-13-2007, 12:11 AM
hey Billy what's the width rule on flat tracking how far can you offset your axle

Billy Golightly
02-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Most places 50 inches is the width limit, but I've yet to come across one that has a limit for offset :)

erectordale
02-13-2007, 12:38 AM
the 500 I can offset either direction about 10" I fiqured that should help

torker
02-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey guys:
I know i'm a little far but maybe I can help. The track should be, at least, 30 ft wide.
Have you considered having left and right turns? Road race style. Trust me, once you try it you won't want to go back to "left only"

I've built many tracks here in the Island, flat tracks that is but I build them with right and left turns of different speeds. Most of them 3rd or 4th gear so its not killer fast and good for a novice to race, learn and most importantly ENJOY!!!

What I use for dirt and sand temporary tracks is PVC pipe with the Yellow tape (you know, the one the cops use, but mine says "CAUTION"). Here's how:
1. Get at least 10 PVC pipes as long as you can find. 1/2 inch pipe works great.
2. Cut as many 4 ft pieces as you can.
3. These CANNOT have any sharp edges. Again, NO SHARP EDGES.
4. After the track is marked, Hammer these in the ground, at least 12 inches
deep, at a 30 deegree angle on the track direction. 15 to 20 ft apart it's
great if
they're tight.
5. Roll the tape on top of the PVC pipes as tight as you can. Twice.
6. I build long tracks, about 2,500 to 4,000 ft. The yellow "CAUTION" tape comes
in 1,000 and 2,000 ft lenght. Always have spare in case someone goes off and
breaks the tape, it's really simple to repair.
7. You don't need to mark all the track, just the corners. But mark those really
good, for smaller these turns may be. If you have them available, a few old
tires can help to.
8. Have one guy run the track, only one guy, or you'll have as many opinions as
there are people there!

And last but not least HAVE FUN!!!!!!:w00t: :w00t:

If you guys do a flatt track event, Guaranteed, you'll have it full of racers. Anyone can do it!!! (Well, almost anyone, sorry drag only machines) As always you are going to have the fast guys, but the beauty of road racing is that everybody, from 1st to last, rookie or pro, get to enjoy the entire race.
Hope this helps.

Damn, I wanna go already and help you guys out.:Bounce :Bounce
HMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Anyone know how much to ship my 250R to Indiana?
Maybe someone has one for rent. Ja, Ja...LOL!!!!

TORKER.:D

SpeedBump
03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
You fly in, I'm sure somebody will have a machine for you to rip around on. Other's have done it. :p

torker
03-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks SpeedBump, Either way it's 95% I'll be there (already asked for a 10 day vacation). I haved tried shipping my machines with a friend in the armed forces as it was suggested by a board member, but, beeing war time, its imposible. I will keep trying since there still time and I'll be shipping "the beater" only if possible.
If not, I'll try and get a trike to ride and/or race there from someone else. You know, it's just about having fun.

Thanks
TORKER.