PDA

View Full Version : air compressor/sand blasting question

bp739
02-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I know there was a thread similar to this recently but I could'nt get the info I needed from it.

Here's my question....I'm looking at a 26gal 150psi upright compressor...would this be big enough to use with a small pressurized sand blaster (5-20gal). It would just be for blasting frames and small parts.

dizasterzrfun69
02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
just like i said int he last thread. Look at the sandblaster you want and see how many cfm or scfm it needs. then look at the air compressor and see how many cfm or scfm it is. If the air compresser meets the requirements of the sand blaster then your good to go.

bp739
02-11-2007, 04:46 PM
OK ,I get it now.....the blaster I was looking at requires 6 to 25 cfm depending on the nozzle size...so with a compresser that only runs out to 6 cfm I could only use the smallest nozzle . Thanks, now I understand...... 25cfm would be a pretty big compressor then....right?

dizasterzrfun69
02-11-2007, 05:26 PM
OK ,I get it now.....the blaster I was looking at requires 6 to 25 cfm depending on the nozzle size...so with a compresser that only runs out to 6 cfm I could only use the smallest nozzle . Thanks, now I understand...... 25cfm would be a pretty big compressor then....right?

yupp 25cfm would be a BIG aircompressor. It atleast would have a big pump on it. i was just at menards and most of their big compressors only go up to like 12 cfm at 90psi. IM going to be buying a compressor soon so i can actually use half of my tools without the compressor running all day and whne i do i think im going to end up getting one around 12 cfm.

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
You can do small parts but a frame will be alot of work and cycles of the compressor.

Worse thing with an undersized compressor is that when you first turn the blaster on it takes 10 seconds to get roaring, then it will maintain a good blast for about 30 seconds before it begins to decline in pressure and the cycle starts again.

It will take a few minutes before it's up to 130PSI or so again. Each time this wastes alot of sand.

Small parts with something to recover 75% of the sand is how I use my 6HP 30 gallon compressor.

Pressure blasters are the bomb but need alot of air. Siphon blasters are more of a pain to use but lots more friendly to an undersized air compressor.

scottyms
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
hey, just my two cents, i'm not sure what you are using for sand/media. you cant buy the cheap silica send anymore around here all i can get is called Black Beauty, it works but cost almost 10 bucks for 50 lbs. i can get a frame done local in a day for 30 bucks. i havent used my preasur blaster in 2 years. your better off to invest in a blast cabinet for the small stuff and let someone else do the frame.

scotty

dizasterzrfun69
02-12-2007, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=scottyms]it works but cost almost 10 bucks for 50 lbs.
scotty[/QUOTE

go price aluminum oxide or glass bead.....$20 for 25 lbs.

Mr. Clean
02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I buy all purpose silica sand from Lowes and filter through a screen $3 for 50 lbs. Pressure pot works for me with a 25 gal 5.5. horse but I know I could always use more PSI.

scottyms
02-12-2007, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=scottyms]it works but cost almost 10 bucks for 50 lbs.
scotty[/QUOTE

go price aluminum oxide or glass bead.....$20 for 25 lbs.

yea but in a cabinet you dont have to keep buying more. how many frames are you going to do versus smaller parts that will fit in a cabinet. just my opinion

scotty

cr480r
02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Waiting for your air to build back up sucks. Buy the biggest compressor you can afford, you may have it a long time. My compressor is like 6 scfm and it took me about 2 weeks to do an hours worth of blasting on a qaud frame...