PDA

View Full Version : Utility Trike Technical Timed Competition

atctim
02-16-2007, 11:53 AM
OK - I need some input here for my planning of this competition. I have had numerous requests for people who do not have either electric start or reverse that want to enter. Originally, this competition required these features. I guess if there is enough interest, I will make this a 2 class event. One class for Big Reds / SX's / All Other Utility Trikes with E.S. and Reverse, and one class for non-reverse machines - E.S. will not matter in this class. Please vote only if you are planning on attending.

atctim
02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Here is a quick rundown of how the coarse will be laid out.

(A) marks the starting point. You will start facing the wrong direction. You will be standing beside the starter at Barrel (D). When the Whistle blows, your time starts. You will run to your machine, start it up, and back around the curve and over the log. You will then hop off your machine, and load a bail of hay onto the rear rack. 2 straps will be provided to secure it down. Be sure you secure it well, because if it falls off, you must stop and re-secure it for the duration of the hay bail lap. Once secured, you drive over the log again and continue on the track. You'll cross the creek, and go over the log obstacle. Once over the log obstacle, you'll continue on the coarse and negotiate some very off-camber challenging hillside terrain. You will then stop at point (C) where you must shut down your trike. Undo the straps, and carry the straps and hay bail back to (B) where you got it from. Then run back to your machine and start it back up again. You will continue back around the coarse until you reach Barrel (D)m where you must drive around it 180 degrees, and head back the coarse the opposite direction. Once around the off cambers and thru the log obstacles and creek again, you must stop at the Log Pull (E) There will be a strap and hook on each end. You will not need to shut the machine down at this point. Simply hook the log to your machine and pull it down the straight away and stop and unhook at Point marked (F). You will then drive around the Barrel (D) again, and head back to the log, You will hook to the opposite end of the log (strap will be already hooked there too) and pull it back to point (E). Hop off your machine, unhook the log and continue around the coarse again. The finish line will be when you tire hits water at spot (G).

You will have 5 seconds added for each of the following offenses.

1 - you put your foot down
2 - you go out of bounds (yellow marker tape will mark what is in and out of bounds)
3 - get off the trike to get it unstuck
4 - loose you bail of hay.

This should be a great event. Again, this event will take place at noon on Thursday. Meet up at the sign by the drag strip no later than 11:45 AM. Spectators and spotters welcomed and encouraged.

http://www.venustel.com/~tkeister/BIG-RED.jpg

Tri-ZNate
02-16-2007, 01:26 PM
wow Tim thats really thought out. Brapp and I'll be there hopefully 2 days early so if you want help setting up lemme know. Looks Like I need a rear rack made up :D

atctim
02-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Wheeliepop - actually that is a really good thought. Not all SX's have rear racks. Maybe we can omit the hay bail part or something. Maybe we need to just load something into the trunk, or just hook something to the grab bar. Hmmmmmm food for thought. All of this can change some. This is a preliminary type deal for this year. We'll see how it goes.

Also - I could really use your and Brapp's help for setting this up! Thanks

Tri-ZNate
02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
yep no problem, just remind me between now and then since I'll forget :lol:

tecat-z
02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Dam this sounds like fun. My buddy and me would do this for sure on our 85sx's. Problem being we arn't going to be there till 6am Friday. We always make it a point when we go riding to ride over very technical terrain and challenge ourselves, and consider ourselves very controlled riders in challenging situations. I also know of someone else who would probably be in but he's getting there on Friday morning as well. If this was held on Friday we're in for sure. If not i'll have to listen for results. Bummer!!!!!!!

TimSr
02-17-2007, 11:19 AM
One class for Big Reds / SX's / All Other Utility Trikes with E.S. and Reverse, and one class for non-reverse machines - E.S. will not matter in this class.

My Suzuki has no racks, HAS reverse, but has manual pull rope start. Where do I belong, and is electric start really an issue?

atctim
02-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Hmmmmmm - well, I guess as long as it has reverse, you belong in the SX / Big Red Class. I am changing up the hay bail part since SX's did not come from the factory with a rear rack. Instead of a hay bail, we'll be hooking something (not sure what, maybe an old tire or something) to the rear grab-bar.

Class 1 will be any trike with reverse, and class 2 will be any non-reversable trikes.
Thanks - I need these questions to really set up the classes better - keep them coming folks!

Chevy200s
02-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I like it! This sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I wanted to add also that while none of the trikes I would be planning on entering have electric start, reverse or racks, I would still be happy to compete in that class. I've always been able to make do with what I got, and I know for a fact I can strap 2 hay bales down to the back of my 200s just with the grab bar. heck I've done it a few times before:lol: So this is just me saying it looks good, sounds like youve got it all planned out. And also if its possible to spot the event and run it or set it up let me know, more than happy to help

TravEX
02-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Sounds good to me!

brapp
02-19-2007, 12:01 AM
another idea woufl be a piece of 4 inch pvc pipe a foot long or so that can go on the handlebars between the hheadlight and tripplesor soemthign like that.

Derrick Adams
02-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Just Haul the HAY. It is a utility trike competition isn't it? If you dont have a rack, get one or get inventive! Dont change your rules just so someone can fit in. If you no longer require reverse or racks then i'm running my 250R and i'll take the 5 second penalty for backing up. Or i'll roll against a tree and back it in that way!

I think a utility trike is defined by: Auto clutch, Racks and Pull or Electric start.

atctim
02-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Derrick is right.......I guess I let my "can't say no" attitude get the best of me sometimes. Hauling a hay bail is mandatory

Derrick Adams
02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
One thing I meant to mention to you, where are you going to find a creek at TF? Any running water at Haspin = quicksand (or should I say quickmud!)

Tri-ZNate
02-19-2007, 08:29 PM
well last year below the small MX track there was a wter crossing from all the rain. Maybe we'll have a washout again :rolleyes:

Billy Golightly
02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Theres a really nice, highly technical creek that runs to the bottom of the devils backbone. Tri-Z_Jim and I went down it a few times the first year I was at Haspin and it will be a chore for any rider, believe me. There are rock sheleves 3ft high with water pools at the bottom and logs laying all around everywheres not to mention the mandatory 400lb rocks laying everywheres. I'm not sure if thats where Tim is planning on doing this but that'd be an excellent place IMO.

atctim
02-20-2007, 09:41 AM
The creek we found at TF05 is in the back corner of Haspin Acres. It is amoungst the 4X4 truck trails. Not much else doing back there. There is a property marking fence near by too.

Howdy
02-20-2007, 09:55 AM
The creek we found at TF05 is in the back corner of Haspin Acres. It is amoungst the 4X4 truck trails. Not much else doing back there. There is a property marking fence near by too.

I have been down that creek. It's way the heck back there. lol
howdy

longbedGTs
02-20-2007, 09:57 AM
It doesnt matter to me as long as I can compete. If I bring my 200M, it has no reverse, electric start but its not working, pull start only works, rear rack...
Should be fun either way!

Tri-ZNate
02-20-2007, 01:24 PM
There are rock sheleves 3ft high with water pools at the bottom and logs laying all around everywheres

Ha ha, in the name of a wise old flordian "Git It Ragg!"

BigReds Forever
02-22-2007, 12:26 AM
this sounds like alot of fun, i still dont know if im comming, but if i do ill deffinatly participate

brapp
02-24-2007, 10:37 PM
are you sayign i can run it with a 350x if i make a rac for it then?

atctim
02-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Brapp - In the non-utility class - Yes. And you don;t even need a rack - as long as you can somehow mount a bail of hay to your 350X.

brapp
02-25-2007, 12:14 AM
i still dont think a bail of hay is such a good idea. what abotu a styrofoam block or sometho=ing of that sort? somethign that the strings wont get pulle dof fand scattered about while peopel are man handling them. w ehave used a piece of pvc pipe with the ends ductaped up i have a piece of 10 inch or so i coudl donate for this event. that way as logn a syou ahve a grabbar you can still compete. caus eth eguys with the sx's are goign to be at a serious disadvantage on this unless they have racks.

or it could be anythign realyl a sack of sand or a bail of seed or whatever i am just sayign the haybale is so big and awkward. if that the case of using a haybale whats stopign soemone from makign a higebasket for thier rack and making it nearly impossible for the haybale to fall off. i am nto worried about the whole rack thing btu i am more worried abotu beign severly allergic to hayseed. i mean i am more than willign to help out with an object for the event if that sthe issue. i ahve a piece of 10 inch pvc pipe filled with foam used for this sort of things. its abotu 14 inches or so long and woudl be great and then it could be used for everyoneno matter what machine as logn a sit has a grabbar. know where i am comign from. i dont mean to sound liek a whiney bi*** but i am just tryign to say make it more fair couse not everyoen has a big red or an sx with racks. its just my 02 cents but i do have a few things in my oppinion that could be a bit more efficent. but if thats an issue i know i did not design the course and i didnt have much to contribute btu i am offerign help if you need it also and also the few ideas and the baton i have talked about. but the callis yours.

Derrick Adams
02-25-2007, 09:12 AM
brapp, what is so hard to understand about a utility competition? At what point does a utility vehicle not have racks? I understand that you want to use a 10" peice of PVC so you can throw it in your backpack and run on your 350X but that's not the point of a utility competition is it? LOL

It seems to me that a bail of straw (brapps right about hay allergies) is perfect. Part of the fun is that you have to protect your cargo and be gentle with it!

It's your show, but brapp and I have total different opinions on it I guess.

brapp
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
oh well i guess i will just have to quit my bitchign and head straigt to the shower after the event.

atctim
02-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, I can see a problem about hay allergies and the like, but we do not want to stray from the "utility" aspect of the compitition. Maybe we'll substitute a 100 pound bag of chicken feed!

Tri-ZNate
02-26-2007, 09:51 AM
:rolleyes: so we are have a utility and non-utility class in this. Thenwhy even have them carry something, let 'em run and let us utilitys do the actual hauling

TravEX
02-26-2007, 09:51 AM
LOL, a 80 lb bag of quickrete would work, hehe.

atctim
02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
:rolleyes: so we are have a utility and non-utility class in this. Thenwhy even have them carry something, let 'em run and let us utilitys do the actual hauling

Yeah - check out the poll - basically it is utility and non utility

Tri-ZNate
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah i've been thinkin it applied to trikes like 200s and such, wasnt thinking sporty bikes. I gotcha

brapp
02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
like i had said before i have the block of styrofoam and the pvc if you want me to brign it and donate it to the event. the pvc can be a pain in the butt to secure thats what woudl make it a good choice and could be used for utility and non utility classes. just give us a bungee cord or 2 and if it falls off take the penalty or what not. but also as i was tlakign to someone abotu it and after the first bike or 2 get ahold of the haybales wouldnt they start fallign apart you woudl need a truck load of haybales for the event.
or the utility class have 3 pieces of firewood or soemthing i dunno just ideas.

brapp
02-27-2007, 08:33 PM
i mean i wasnt tryign to cause problems or anything, i want to help because i think this coudl be really fun or another idea woudl be a old cooler or soemthign with sand or somethign in it heck there are milliond of things to use but my point is i woudl hate to miss what has potential to be oen of the funnest thigns there because of the one thing i am alergic to

atctim
02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Brapp - All points well taken. We will substitute something else for the hay bail - I do understand some people do have allergies. Now - as far as the bails falling apart - that is just bad farming - LOL. Anyway - I kinda like the 3 pieces of firewood idea. Keep them coming. This being a first year event - suggestions and feedback after the event are a must. I am counting on you and Wheeliepop for help setting up this coarse. We should be able to make it really challenging.

TravEX
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I have a silly suggestion that I've held back for a week. This is a skills challenge, right, how about tire plugging skills. Everyone should carry plugs and inflation devices with them on the trails anyway. I have an old wheel and tire that hold air, we can poke a hole in it and have that part of the course. You have to stop and shut off your ride, plug the hole and inflate to tire to 3 lbs or so, and the start up your ride and ride off. Sounds silly, but it would just be a neat addition and a place for people to congregate to see part of the events.

Just a thought,

Travis

farmerc
03-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Tim I will be there to help you out with setting up this coasre. Great ideas from everyone. I guess you really thought this out and got some really good ideas I will touch with you later on as the time gets closer to being there. Work and Life has been hectic around here since the new year and it's starting to get better now.

icp4life162005
04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
My vote would be for a 100lbs bag of feed. I have carried 4 on my M/E and it ain't easy, but there would have to be a rule that you may not sit on it or a 5 second penalty for every 1 second on it. Or maybe even buckets of feed and water, 2 of each . they are challenging to carry and maneuver with and if you spill the big penalty. I think these would be more practical than with hay, and these are more like farm chores, I done it enough times to know. There should also be MUD.

team-red-rider
05-20-2007, 10:44 AM
hey im prolly not attending what about the KLT's? e.s and racks but its a manual clutch utility trike..?

madmanwithmouse
05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
100lbs are you peeps crazy... what do you feed your bales? lol I like the cooler idea very robust, just bolt the lid shut.