PDA

View Full Version : Just what is a harscramble?

Bill X_R
04-23-2003, 04:38 PM
????????

Chemical442
04-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Harescrambles are more or less just races, usually in wooded ares (or around here they are) where the point is to complete the set number of laps in the quickest amount of time. Some clubs throw their own rules in there, but that's basically it. Not to be confused with Enduros.

YAMAHA_Jim
04-23-2003, 06:27 PM
A hare scramble is basically a mx race in the woods.Tracks are anywheres from 4 - 10 miles in length with all kinds of terrain,rocks,roots,mud,hills,etc. Races are 1.5 to 3 hrs in length.Different races have different rules.All skill levels race together and are scored seperately. Starting is done in waves of 10 to 40 riders depending on classes,each take off a minute or 2 apart(pro/expert takes off first; novice/beginner last. I raced HareScrambles from 89 to 96.My best race I took first in my class(0-200cc nov) by about 3 minutes.I had a 89 KDX200,2nd and 3rd place had 91 RM125's. Racing hare scrambles is more about how you ride,not what you ride.

TimSr
04-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Yep thats why I like them! Riding smart gets you a lot farther than riding hard. Where MX is like a sprint where you run flat out for 10 minutes, in HS youll die trying to do that. You pace yourself with the object being to keep moving without getting stopped or stuck. Theres no real track, but rather a marked trail, so its easier to be competitive with a trike provided you dont have much off camber, though the ruts do make it tough. A good rider can easily be competitve with a 300EX. The ones here have some serious hillvclimbs too. Ive seen Blasters have some trouble when its really muddy, and with some of the hills if they are not geared down and piped for low end, but not too much. Flat profile dirt track tires will give you problems, and guys showing up with their 18" Turf Tamers are always good for laughs. Other than that, basically a stock bike with good mud tires, geared low enough and equipped with a decent rider will do well. They even have a utility claass here. Cant BUY a win in HS like some do in MX. TimJr and I will be running one this Sunday. This one has a large downhill offcamber section, so Ill be running the TRX250R.