PDA

View Full Version : All the talk of faster trikes with mods and stuff.....

Bill X_R
04-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Ok correct me if I'm wrong ( I don't think I am ). But in order to get more "speed" out of anything you have to make the engine go faster than it did trailprotrailpro....more RPM's not HP. Or change the gearing. I was just reading the 108 MPH banshee post and I'm still scatching my head????? If you take an engine and put all the best aftermarket mods on/in it. This will give you better acceleration, more tourqe, more hill climbing power, etc, etc...but unless you raise the RPM of the engine...won't it still top out at the speed it toped out trailprotrailpro???????

bigred110
04-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Your're pretty much correct. Bigger intake, bigger exhaust will get more rpm's so you will have a little higher top end. A 1080 MPH banshee! Man that must be scary ass ride then.

wanta250r
04-23-2003, 08:55 PM
1080 mph banshee, thats faster than the speed of sound lol lol lol lol lol

ATCRYDER
04-23-2003, 08:58 PM
1080?? Im gonna call that impossible in so many ways. Isnt 700some mph breaking the speed bearier?

Kilborg
04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
The speed of sound changes with altitude (the higher up the lower it is).

Just adding a bigger intake and exhaust isnt going to give you more power. You need to take into account other factors regarding the amount of flow such a component can handle.

More rpm does not necesarrily mean more speed, though its an easy translation. If you have the power available at lower rpms, it may very well taper off. While it is true the turning more rpms will theoretically produce more speed, you need to think of power curves. Lets take a ford (international) powerstroke. They make all kinds of power around 2500, but (even if the engine could handle high rpms), it will make less and less power as the revs climb. You will be of course turning everything faster, but if there is less power available at the upper rpm, you will not be able to pull the weight around with the amount of power at that given rpm.

So in a nutshell, if the engine does not make power at high rpms, you will not be able to pull mass amounts of speed. In support of your theory though, lets take the 125 roadrace bikes and f1 cars...These engines turn phenomenal amounts of rpms (Upwards of 14000 and more), but they are also designed to make a very broad and linear power curve as the revs climb that high.

The simplest, most effective method of gaining speed, is to regear. You can gear to have the speed you want while within your powerband. The whole point of gearing is to reduce the strain on the engine, and keep it in its powerband while it is pulling the given load. Hope this helps you.

Bill X_R
04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Come on guys, let's be realistic.....Can you say typo :)

Trikeaholic
04-23-2003, 09:15 PM
the HP will make all the difference in the world, if the stock motor wont wind the motor in top gear, much like going up a hill in 5th sometimes. A well built machine will be able to redline in any gear on many different terrains. Once the motor cant keep up with the gearing, then its time for more power, what you are wondering is absolutley true, but take into affect the ability of the engine to turn the R's in its top gear.

Kilborg
04-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Yeah bill, i figured that....but you never know with some of the people running around here.

TimSr
04-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Ill bet Bill is laughing at all the technical answers, but he is right. All the engine mods in the world will not increase top speed, unless you dont have the power to reach your top speed already. Inther words, if you are wound out screaming in high gear, engine mods wont make it go any faster. Your crank runs through a bunch of gears to the back wheels, and the only way to increase top speed is to change some gear sizes or make your crank spin faster. This might be a surprise to some, but a stock engine is perfectly capable of delivering more RPMs than it can handle, and fry itself (unless it has a rev limiter) and mods do not make your crank spin faster. They only make it reach top spin speed faster.

If a Banshee does 108mph, then you have to slip the clutch in low gear until you hit about 35mph.

md1985250r
04-26-2003, 09:06 PM
A BANSHEE DOES 108???? COME ON... :rolleyes: